Williams FW38 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
carisi2k

Re: Williams FW38 Mercedes

Carinni wrote:
carisi2k wrote:
Carinni wrote:From gptoday:
"You may not know this, but the engine with the least power on the grid is actually the Ferrari in the Toro Rosso," Mercedes technical boss Paddy Lowe told ESPN. "The Renault and the Honda are not so far behind the Ferrari and Mercedes, so there is not a lot of difference now between the power units."
I'm calling shenanigans on this. Did you see how hard it was for Lewis to get past the Torro Rosso's in both Australia and Bahrain and yet he easily breezed past Daniel Ricciardo in both of those races when on similar tyres.

Williams had better hope the new nose helps because they should be challenging Ferrari and not being trounced by Red Bull, Toroo rosso and Haas. The former 2 clearly don't have the horsepower that Williams enjoy and should be taking more advantage of. One can only imagine how much trouble the number 3 would be causing the number 6 and 44 if he had the same engine that is in the back of the FW38.
I think paddy meant Williams enjoys no more engine advantage and redbull can easily beat Williams in coming races, especially after Renault's major upgrade after Canada. Worrying.
I don't think so Carinni. The Renault is at least 50hp down on the 2016 Mercedes. Not as bad as the 100hp it was in 2015 but still quite a bit. Williams should be well and truly ahead of Red Bull and it is quite frankly very disappointing if you are a Williams fan to see them get trounced by Red Bull. Bahrain in particular which is a power circuit that require acceleration and top speed which the Williams has in droves courtesy of it's Mercedes engine should have seen the car challenging Ferrari and possibly even Nico after the fabulous starts that they both got.

Carinni
Carinni

carisi2k wrote:
Carinni wrote:
carisi2k wrote:
I'm calling shenanigans on this. Did you see how hard it was for Lewis to get past the Torro Rosso's in both Australia and Bahrain and yet he easily breezed past Daniel Ricciardo in both of those races when on similar tyres.

Williams had better hope the new nose helps because they should be challenging Ferrari and not being trounced by Red Bull, Toroo rosso and Haas. The former 2 clearly don't have the horsepower that Williams enjoy and should be taking more advantage of. One can only imagine how much trouble the number 3 would be causing the number 6 and 44 if he had the same engine that is in the back of the FW38.
I think paddy meant Williams enjoys no more engine advantage and redbull can easily beat Williams in coming races, especially after Renault's major upgrade after Canada. Worrying.
I don't think so Carinni. The Renault is at least 50hp down on the 2016 Mercedes. Not as bad as the 100hp it was in 2015 but still quite a bit. Williams should be well and truly ahead of Red Bull and it is quite frankly very disappointing if you are a Williams fan to see them get trounced by Red Bull. Bahrain in particular which is a power circuit that require acceleration and top speed which the Williams has in droves courtesy of it's Mercedes engine should have seen the car challenging Ferrari and possibly even Nico after the fabulous starts that they both got.
Well, then Paddy is wrong. I would like so!

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

I WANT TO WIN, THAT LOOKS VERY DIFFICULT - BOTTAS

Valtteri Bottas has refused to rule out playing a starring role in this year's 'silly season'. Last year, the Finn admitted strong rumours linking him with a potential switch to Ferrari were a distraction. Now, an opening at the fabled Maranello team will once again be up for grabs for 2017, amid similar potential vacancies at other teams including Mercedes.

"There are just two races gone so it's too early" for team switch reports, Bottas was quoted by Turun Sanomat newspaper on a marketing visit to his native Finland this week. "But it is quite clear that I want to win, and at the moment that looks very difficult," he added.

Now 26, Bottas has driven throughout his career at Williams and he had hoped openly for an improvement in 2016 after two consecutive seasons of the British team finishing third. "We have improved aerodynamically," he said, "but the others have as well. So after Bahrain we know that we need to keep improving. Mercedes and Ferrari have gone forward massively and others have come closer to us," added Bottas.

"We are not satisfied with where our car is but we're working hard." Asked by another Finnish newspaper, Ilta Sanomat, if he thinks Williams can win races in 2016, Bottas answered: "I don't want to say it's impossible, but at the moment it is very difficult. As the season progresses, we will see how we develop and how close we can get." (GMM)

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsTech 1h1 hour ago
Both @WilliamsRacing seats, the Bottas seat is a few 100g heavier despite some lightening holes!

j2004p
j2004p

LookBackTime wrote:Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsTech 1h1 hour ago
Both @WilliamsRacing seats, the Bottas seat is a few 100g heavier despite some lightening holes!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf7LTZmWcAAPRz6.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf7LUReWcAAPB45.jpg
Thats for when he has an 'pants accident' whilst having a 'car accident' :lol:

zioture
zioture

Maybe in China GP The New nose it will be ' used also Bottas

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Sevach
Sevach

Look at the suspension arms.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Bottas gets Williams's only new F1 nose for Chinese Grand Prix

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... y-new-nose

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Williams: grows the fairing of the rear suspension

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Massa to revert to Williams' old nose in China

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/massa ... na-687043/

Martin_F

Sounds to me like Williams is not really sure yet if the new nose/wing combination will show the results they'd hoped for.
And therefore don't want to commit the labor and money into producing multiple sets.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Bite-size tech: Williams' rear suspension nodule

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bite- ... le-687050/