Williams FW38 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LookBackTime

Re: Williams FW38 Mercedes

WILLIAMS RACING ‏@WilliamsRacing
.@MassaFelipe19 heads back out on those supersofts. We're continuing to work on rear suspension introductions #FP2 #HungarianGP

LookBackTime

Bottas admits supersofts a "big issue" for Williams

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/botta ... ms-801081/

LookBackTime

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering:

"I think overall today has been a positive start to what I hope is a positive weekend. After Silverstone we regrouped and tried to understand what, if anything, could be causing our poor run of form. So today was very much a continuation of the Silverstone test. We’ve been looking at different rear suspension configurations in both FP1 and FP2, and I think we’ve found a reasonable direction with it. We will go through the data to ensure that we’ve done everything right. When we’ve had the car in the correct configuration we’ve been reasonable, especially on the long runs which were good today, so that’s a definite positive for us. We’re still not quite where we need to be, but I think we’re back to our normal position behind the top three teams. We’ve got quite a big floor upgrade coming tomorrow, so we’ll be testing that in FP3 and hopefully it moves us forward a little more. We also completed a number of installation laps on the front wings to look at some very specific data collection. Aside from that we’ve stayed with the old specification, because we wanted to concentrate on the suspension work. "

SchuMassa

LookBackTime wrote:Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering:

"I think overall today has been a positive start to what I hope is a positive weekend. After Silverstone we regrouped and tried to understand what, if anything, could be causing our poor run of form. So today was very much a continuation of the Silverstone test. We’ve been looking at different rear suspension configurations in both FP1 and FP2, and I think we’ve found a reasonable direction with it. We will go through the data to ensure that we’ve done everything right. When we’ve had the car in the correct configuration we’ve been reasonable, especially on the long runs which were good today, so that’s a definite positive for us. We’re still not quite where we need to be, but I think we’re back to our normal position behind the top three teams. We’ve got quite a big floor upgrade coming tomorrow, so we’ll be testing that in FP3 and hopefully it moves us forward a little more. We also completed a number of installation laps on the front wings to look at some very specific data collection. Aside from that we’ve stayed with the old specification, because we wanted to concentrate on the suspension work. "
I hope they revert to the new front wing soon, otherwise they've wasted a plenty of money, which would be a shame.

LookBackTime

Albert Fabrega ES ‏@AlbertFabrega
En Williams ultiman el montaje del nuevo fondo plano, llegado ayer. Solo hay una unidad y será para Bottas
Translated from Spanish by Bing :
At Williams they final Assembly of the new flat bottom, arrived yesterday. There is only one unit and will be for Bottas.

LookBackTime

Bottas to run Williams' new floor in FP3

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/botta ... p3-801327/

By: Jonathan Noble, Formula 1 Editor
13 minutes ago
Valtteri Bottas is to run Williams' new floor during final practice for the Hungarian Grand Prix, as the outfit hopes to bounce back from recent disappointments.

Having not done as well as it had hoped to on the high-speed Austria, Baku and Silverstone tracks, Williams has been working hard on trying to get answers to unlock the potential it believes its current car has.

Part of that work is on aerodynamic improvement, which is why a new floor will be given its debut by Bottas on the Saturday at the Hungaroring. If it proves a step forward it will be kept for the race.

Bottas' work in the morning will also be twinned with evaluating two of the new front wings that Williams trialled on Friday to ensure that a good balance can be found.

Massa will also test two of the wings, but will be without the new floor as Williams only has one available. The Brazilian should get to use it from next week's race in Germany.

Williams technical chief Pat Symonds said he was hopeful that the team was getting some answers for its current form – which is why it was testing new components in such details.

"I think we're getting on top of it," he said. "It does seem that Canada was a long while ago – we were on the podium there – but it was only five weeks ago. But three races since then, Baku, Austria, Silverstone, and I feel in all three of those we haven't performed in the way I expected to. So we are looking into it.

"We are looking at various things that we have introduced. We're making sure that we understand them; that's a process that's been going on this weekend. But it's quite an intense period, you know.

"Over a period of just five weeks we're actually doing four races and one test – five events in five weeks. It's hard to catch your breath when it's going at that sort of pace. But I'm pretty confident we're getting on top of things."

SchuMassa

LookBackTime wrote:Albert Fabrega ES ‏@AlbertFabrega
En Williams ultiman el montaje del nuevo fondo plano, llegado ayer. Solo hay una unidad y será para Bottas
Translated from Spanish by Bing :
At Williams they final Assembly of the new flat bottom, arrived yesterday. There is only one unit and will be for Bottas.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoCCQzJWgAAAXBQ.jpg
If it's given to Bottas, it must be working. :roll:

JDC123

Williams are definitely using the old nose and front wing in qualifying. Its seems they are in a muddle this year, and don't know which package is best. It almost reminds me of 2013 where they trialled numerous front wings and noses included 2012 spec right up until the final race and never really understood their correlation problems

Sevach

JDC123 wrote:Williams are definitely using the old nose and front wing in qualifying. Its seems they are in a muddle this year, and don't know which package is best. It almost reminds me of 2013 where they trialled numerous front wings and noses included 2012 spec right up until the final race and never really understood their correlation problems
Not only FW, Massa has everything old (which apparently works better).

Bottas has a brand new floor, introduced at Hungaroring FP3, but i don't know if it was approved (probably was since he was 3 tenths quicker than Felipe in FP3).

SchuMassa

Sevach wrote:
JDC123 wrote:Williams are definitely using the old nose and front wing in qualifying. Its seems they are in a muddle this year, and don't know which package is best. It almost reminds me of 2013 where they trialled numerous front wings and noses included 2012 spec right up until the final race and never really understood their correlation problems
Not only FW, Massa has everything old (which apparently works better).

Bottas has a brand new floor, introduced at Hungaroring FP3, but i don't know if it was approved (probably was since he was 3 tenths quicker than Felipe in FP3).
Still a lot slower than everyone else in Q3... :cry:

They had the old spec front-wing and bargeboards, which is a big shame. Their upgrades clearly haven't paid off. I wouldn't be surprised if heads rolled soon.
Last edited by SchuMassa on 23 Jul 2016, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach

Alonso ruined his(and everyone else's) attempt.

Francesc

The new floor via AlbertFabrega

SchuMassa

Alberto Rodríguez ‏@Albrodpul
Además, se añaden 3 slots en L tipo Merc que sustituyen 2 de los 4 slots ya existentes. Se mantiene ranura metálica
(Translation: In addition , three slots are added in L type Mercedes replacing 2 of the 4 slots existing . metal slot remains)

SchuMassa

Alberto Rodríguez ‏@Albrodpul
Como parte del actualizado fondo plano, la aleta central de difusor de Williams ha sido revisada.
(Translation: As part of the updated flat bottom , the central fin Williams diffuser has been revised.)