Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

Blaze1 wrote:Kimi's start on the other hand was just as bad as Lewis'. I'd say it was about on par with Rosberg's if exclude Kimi's slow reaction time.
That could also just be Kimi :P
If he was a footballer, he wouldn't practice penalties either. Vettel on the other hand, being German... The natural love of procedures and practice. :D

Sevach
Sevach

domh245
domh245

What is that hole by the aerial for? Driver cooling?

Ozan
Ozan

it's for driver cooling as it's now hot in Baku.

dans79

So another new front wing, this one with taller strakes?
197 104 103 7

Atticus
Atticus

Jolle wrote:
Blaze1 wrote:Kimi's start on the other hand was just as bad as Lewis'. I'd say it was about on par with Rosberg's if exclude Kimi's slow reaction time.
That could also just be Kimi :P
If he was a footballer, he wouldn't practice penalties either. Vettel on the other hand, being German... The natural love of procedures and practice. :D
Measuring distance covered during the first 5s of the race shows that Raikkonen had an average start, on par with Rosberg. Hamilton, on the other hand, had the 5th worst of the field after Hulkenberg, the two Haas and Magnussen.

Vettel had the overall best.
The F1 Formbook - https://thef1formbook.wordpress.com/
Performance analysis of F1 race weekends based on raw official data

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Can somebody please explain why the Mercedes has such great pace on prime tyres? Other teams are still freightent about it, when they create their strategies.

diego.liv
diego.liv

Something related to NL_Fer. In order to mantain the correct level of tyre pressure, do they have to keep a (sort of) fixed pace? Or pressure will adjust itself thanks to the internal flows created through the rims? i.e. a faster corner won't rise the pressure too much, cause the more energy created will travel differently through the rims

ClarkBT11

graham.reeds wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:I've always been certain all formula 1 wheels for some time have been of forged magnesium, but with Mercedes' heat sink wheel design they've used since W04, I can't see how such a design could be forged via the traditional process. Could it be possible they are using cast magnesium? If so, the wheel would be about a kilo heavier. If not, anyone care to explain how such a design could possibly be forged.
Either Mercedes are employing a graduate of Hogwarts to put grooves in their wheels or they use a lathe.

It's just a normal wheel that's been lathed.

My guess would be a water jet cutter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_jet_cutter

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

basti313
basti313

Are there any pictures of possible changes from Friday to Saturday?
I still wonder, what they changed on the cars, that made the car undrivable for Ham on Saturday and which are not allowed to be told by Ham.
Tire pressure and camber is limited. Brake temps have a broad range, suspension is always as soft as possible on the Merc...what else can destroy the feeling under breaking?
The only thing that would fit for me at the moment is a change in the brake supplier and after Hockenheim no one is allowed to talk about that. Is this reasonable?
Don`t russel the hamster!

erikejw
erikejw

Software problem for the Mercs in the race? Both Nico and Lewis had problem with derating, Lewis a few laps earlier.

My theory is new software that kicked in during the pitstops and there was a bug in it. Max speed like quali mode on the in and outlap but the engine continued to derate.

So either of them did anything wrong with settings. It could be helped by some weird sequence of settings by luck or wait for a time delay when the software resets itselfs away from those special parameters used. Maybe a safety action if battery is too loo for long.

This is just a theory. Can anyone confirm or deny the possibility?

Shrieker

Nice theory, went into the race thread to look for this, only to find 5 y/o's yelling at each other. Although i should admit i was guilty of the same in the good old days, not so blatant though.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

OO7
OO7

Shrieker wrote:Nice theory, went into the race thread to look for this, only to find 5 y/o's yelling at each other. Although i should admit i was guilty of the same in the good old days, not so blatant though.
Hence the name 'Shrieker'. :D

De Jokke

erikejw wrote:Software problem for the Mercs in the race? Both Nico and Lewis had problem with derating, Lewis a few laps earlier.

My theory is new software that kicked in during the pitstops and there was a bug in it. Max speed like quali mode on the in and outlap but the engine continued to derate.

So either of them did anything wrong with settings. It could be helped by some weird sequence of settings by luck or wait for a time delay when the software resets itselfs away from those special parameters used. Maybe a safety action if battery is too loo for long.

This is just a theory. Can anyone confirm or deny the possibility?
What suprises me the most is that it rectified itself with 10 laps to go on Lewis' car. Either you are in a faulty mode or not... very suspicious...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!