Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kptaylor
kptaylor

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

domh245 wrote: As for the part about the why they put it in the step void and the loophole in the rules, a redditor talks about it here. The tl;dr of it is that they are making the chassis too small at the front, putting their suspension in it, and then putting a cover on that is technically part of the chassis.
Perfect, thanks!

zac510
zac510

It seems pointless to try and ban it via changing the chassis regulations. By next year they'll have shrunk the mechanism by 10%, then next year another 10% and so on and then it'll fit in a normal chassis anyway.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

TwanV wrote:Never quite understood what can be held against active suspension in the first place... no safety issues, driver importance doesn't deteriorate.. Very relevant to road cars in terms of comfort and safety.. The only thing I can think of is that back in 93 the software/hardware development costs for such a system were very high, and the gap between the top 3 and the rest was getting too noticable. But nowadays the 'have-nots' are much more professional. Anyway, fantastic that Mercedes applies a seemingly mechanical version of the system.
My opinion: let's hope the system stays legal before a ban puts in further requirement of resources again to circumvent a silly rule.
From what i remember, active suspension allowed incredible low rideheight. When a bump or driversfault would increase the rideheight, the downforce would instantly be neutralized and we could be seeing flying cars or cars making a backwards salto.

TwanV
TwanV

NL_Fer wrote:
TwanV wrote:Never quite understood what can be held against active suspension in the first place... no safety issues, driver importance doesn't deteriorate.. Very relevant to road cars in terms of comfort and safety.. The only thing I can think of is that back in 93 the software/hardware development costs for such a system were very high, and the gap between the top 3 and the rest was getting too noticable. But nowadays the 'have-nots' are much more professional. Anyway, fantastic that Mercedes applies a seemingly mechanical version of the system.
My opinion: let's hope the system stays legal before a ban puts in further requirement of resources again to circumvent a silly rule.
From what i remember, active suspension allowed incredible low rideheight. When a bump or driversfault would increase the rideheight, the downforce would instantly be neutralized and we could be seeing flying cars or cars making a backwards salto.
Well.. that's quite a far-fetched scenario :lol: Anyway we have the plank-rule for that since 94. I did some further reading and apparently:

Active suspension back then was pre-programmed for a track, which is somewhat artifical.
A cap on cornering speeds was desirable
The mechanics were not too happy about working on a prototype hydraulic system at 130+ bar. (probably a bit more since my citroen-system rates at 170 bar already)

But mind you, that was more than 20 years ago. These days mechanics seem to be perfectly happy working on high-voltage systems even, so no, still nothing substantial I can think of why it should still be banned.

Sorry, a little OT, perhaps this could have a dedicated topic.

De Jokke

If the W07 flies like the W05, it's 100% certain to me that in 2015, Merc got screwed by Pirelli and Fia for the Monza farce (race before Singapore in 2015).

I'm still baffled by how the most dominant car of the grid could get a whack of 1.4 seconds from one race to another, unless someone is screwing with the tyres...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

misterbeam
misterbeam

De Jokke wrote:If the W07 flies like the W05, it's 100% certain to me that in 2015, Merc got screwed by Pirelli and Fia for the Monza farce (race before Singapore in 2015).

I'm still baffled by how the most dominant car of the grid could get a whack of 1.4 seconds from one race to another, unless someone is screwing with the tyres...
Finally some rational people around here ...

That was exactly my thought last year, there was absolutely no reason for Mercedes to be off the pace in Singapore, and it's really funny to see some websites trying to create some kind of suspense around this, because we all know that Mercedes will just be on the top Saturday night.

skoop
skoop

misterbeam wrote:
De Jokke wrote:If the W07 flies like the W05, it's 100% certain to me that in 2015, Merc got screwed by Pirelli and Fia for the Monza farce (race before Singapore in 2015).

That was exactly my thought last year, there was absolutely no reason for Mercedes to be off the pace in Singapore, and it's really funny to see some websites trying to create some kind of suspense around this, because we all know that Mercedes will just be on the top Saturday night.
Can you enlighten me on what happened at Monza? I can't remember

F1Krof

skoop wrote:
misterbeam wrote:

Can you enlighten me on what happened at Monza? I can't remember
The Tyre Pressure reg was into its infancy. Mercedes was found to have found a way to appear as though they were within the limits set by the FIA and Pirelli for the Monza race (remember after Rosberg and Vettel tyre blow-ups in Spa), although what Mercedes have done cleverly used break heaters or blankets (I don't remember correctly) to indirectly heat up the tyres hence increase the tyre pressures to meet the requirements until the measurements took place. But during the race there were reports that pirelli have found Mercedes getting below the specified tyre pressure.

If you remember they made Hamilton go 'Hammer Time' to pull a gap of minimum 25 seconds in case they get penalized. Some teams launched an appeal to the FIA to punish the Mercs, but it turned out there was a loop-hole on the regulation specifications. Hence indirectly many agreed that Mercedes cheated to gain unfair advantage. Afterwards, some speculated that they've sort of made an 'Under-the-Table' deal to punish Mercedes in Singapore by giving them harder tyres with normal Soft-SuperSoft markings.

Who knows what really happened? I've got no clue, it seems like Mercedes this time around is not facing the same problems it faced a year ago, therefore it supports the Conspiracy. It could be a coincidence, even though its very strange the nature of that race were Mercedes was 1.6-1.8 sec slower than its main rivals. :wtf: :wtf:
Wroom wroom

diego.liv
diego.liv

misterbeam wrote:

It couldn't be so farce, could it? If one wants to read anything into this, by your standard it could also be that FIA didn't want to let Merc walk away with another record, for most consecutive poles
http://www.statsf1.com/en/statistiques/ ... utive.aspx
Isn't this exageration?

crbassassin

TwanV wrote:The mechanics were not too happy about working on a prototype hydraulic system at 130+ bar. (probably a bit more since my citroen-system rates at 170 bar already)
High pressure injection injury can lead to sepsis.

Graphic content:
http://www.cmcedmasters.com/ortho-blog/ ... ion-injury

Jolle
Jolle

crbassassin wrote:
TwanV wrote:The mechanics were not too happy about working on a prototype hydraulic system at 130+ bar. (probably a bit more since my citroen-system rates at 170 bar already)
High pressure injection injury can lead to sepsis.

Graphic content:
http://www.cmcedmasters.com/ortho-blog/ ... ion-injury
I thought, one of the many reasons to ban active suspension was safety. Not for the big teams, who had it more or less under control (it's a very high maintenance system), but because of the small teams. A loss of pressure acts like a broken suspension and can happen a lot more often then with a non-active system and will have effect on all wheels. One small leak and all four tires are off the ground...

sosic2121
sosic2121

Jolle wrote: I thought, one of the many reasons to ban active suspension was safety. Not for the big teams, who had it more or less under control (it's a very high maintenance system), but because of the small teams. A loss of pressure acts like a broken suspension and can happen a lot more often then with a non-active system and will have effect on all wheels. One small leak and all four tires are off the ground...
I think you're wrong. I think chance of such mishap is no greater than loss of breaks.
Probably it was politics and F1s constant desire to develop technologies that road cars would benefit from #-o

Jolle
Jolle

sosic2121 wrote:
Jolle wrote: I thought, one of the many reasons to ban active suspension was safety. Not for the big teams, who had it more or less under control (it's a very high maintenance system), but because of the small teams. A loss of pressure acts like a broken suspension and can happen a lot more often then with a non-active system and will have effect on all wheels. One small leak and all four tires are off the ground...
I think you're wrong. I think chance of such mishap is no greater than loss of breaks.
Probably it was politics and F1s constant desire to develop technologies that road cars would benefit from #-o
It is far more complex then a brake system, with pumps, valves and a simple malfunction would have had a devastating outcome, turning a formula one car, wherever on the track (not just in a straight line braking zone, but also in corners like L'au Rouge, into a skating puck, without any form of control. Like four exploding tires all at once.

Pierce89

Jolle wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:
It is far more complex then a brake system, with pumps, valves and a simple malfunction would have had a devastating outcome, turning a formula one car, wherever on the track (not just in a straight line braking zone, but also in corners like L'au Rouge, into a skating puck, without any form of control. Like four exploding tires all at once.
Errrmmmm.....no. The active systems mostly all had passive springs still, to support the car in the event of a failure.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

misterbeam wrote:

Rational?Bahahaha!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher