Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
atlantis
atlantis

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

The floor is sealing with the asphalt, must create a lot of df

NutritionFact

It would be interesting, the same shot of a other car.

I never see something like this.

[img]content://media/external/file/80704[/img]

Left rear tire? Standing wave?
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

PhillipM
PhillipM

atlantis wrote:The floor is sealing with the asphalt, must create a lot of df
They do the same at the front with the endplates, let the car roll and seal to the floor. That's why it makes me laugh when people suggest in the Mclaren thread that the car isn't good because it rolls too much...Merc entire philosophy through the last few cars has been to develop an aero platform that's allows soft suspension in corners to take care of the tyres after the issues they used to have with them, whilst keeping the car flat under acceleration and braking forces.

timbo
timbo

SectorOne wrote::shock:

https://s13.postimg.org/4x69no3kn/Namnl_s.png

Credit: @LauraLeslie23
It is amazing how soft the suspension is in roll. Are there any similar shots for other cars?
Anyway, it speakes a lot about the operating window of aero on their car. I guess the lower rake is specifically chosen for this reason.

zac510
zac510

I think we should not jump to conclusions that this is the Mercedes behaving properly and as designed in this photo. For all we know Rosberg may have been on the radio complaining about bad rear suspension and they stiffened it up in the pits shortly after.
This could have been an outlap on a high fuel practice run. The tyre pressure appears to be very low too, causing the car to roll more.
If this is ideal design and chassis behaviour then there must be dozens more photos like it from every lap of the Japanese GP.

Overall I love the photo, but we need to be careful not to assume too much from it.

PhillipM
PhillipM

There are plenty of onboards and other video showing the Merc is very soft in roll compared to the other cars...

zac510
zac510

I'm not doubting it's soft, but this photo makes it looks like the diffuser is touching the ground through every left and right of the Suzuka Esses.

FoxHound

The Mercedes cars from 2011 (W02) onwards have displayed plenty of roll characteristics.
Mercedes more than most suffered with setups in the period running 2011-13.

From general observation the car rolls through the corner, leaning on the loaded section, which in turn lowers the front wing on the loaded side.
The same rings true for the rear of the car, with the loaded side of the floor being closer to the ground than the unloaded part.

The question is, whats the gain?
JET set

zac510
zac510

On the Mercedes roll photo, in another thread:
diffuser wrote:That looks like he rear end went airborne after hitting the curb.

timbo
timbo

zac510 wrote:On the Mercedes roll photo, in another thread:
diffuser wrote:That looks like he rear end went airborne after hitting the curb.
Well, it might be. However, it is still amazing that the car was able to "swallow" it. Even a momentary disruption of balance in that type of corner would lead to an accident.

PlatinumZealot

FoxHound wrote:The Mercedes cars from 2011 (W02) onwards have displayed plenty of roll characteristics.
Mercedes more than most suffered with setups in the period running 2011-13.

From general observation the car rolls through the corner, leaning on the loaded section, which in turn lowers the front wing on the loaded side.
The same rings true for the rear of the car, with the loaded side of the floor being closer to the ground than the unloaded part.

The question is, whats the gain?
Drievablity. Weight transfer must also match the movement of air under the car to give good balance. My theory is that the air flow on either side under the car is starved depending on the radius of the turn and speed of the car. So the floor must pitch and roll with those changes to maintain some sort of orderliness of the flow and hence stability.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

F1NAC

zac510 wrote:On the Mercedes roll photo, in another thread:
May be. But also in monaco chicane was visible how car just rolling softly(rear)

Bonker T
Bonker T

This foto seems to be taken at the first part of Degner Curve(?), on the inside of the corner there is a dip.
So i think it's more a compression then just downforce.
I would love to see some pics from other teams in this corner.

SectorOne

Bonker T wrote:This foto seems to be taken at the first part of Degner Curve(?), on the inside of the corner there is a dip.
So i think it's more a compression then just downforce.
I would love to see some pics from other teams in this corner.
Yea definitely seems to be Degner 1.

So hitting a curb is a possibility as we know Rosberg has hit it before ( i think on first Q3 lap or the actual pole lap)
But as far as compression without hitting a curb it´s less compression compared to a "normal" corner since you enter a downhill section.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

vortexrulez
vortexrulez

better view of the car.

The diffusor hits the ground on the middle left side
note : the right tire also has a wave on the bottom inside.

And a special on ;)