McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

"Specific" meaning per kg. Shown, for example, here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/engin ... _1225.html.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SameSame

Just_a_fan wrote:"Specific" meaning per kg. Shown, for example, here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/engin ... _1225.html.
I know exactly what specific means, just that a modulus cannot be referred in that way. A modulus is engineering stress versus strain slope, so it does not depend on the mass of the material. I could be wrong but what I'm trying to say is that it is fixed regardless of how much material there is.

Edit: I see what you mean in that link, but there "specific" is when the modulus is per denisity. This makes complete sense if it's per density, and not per mass.
Last edited by SameSame on 16 Jul 2016, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM

Unfortunately sometimes you need a lot of strength/hardness in a small space. Such as the leading edge of a splitter......then you get titanium inserts.

SameSame

PhillipM wrote:Unfortunately sometimes you need a lot of strength/hardness in a small space. Such as the leading edge of a splitter......then you get titanium inserts.
Are you referring to the tea tray area, because are those not the titanium skid plates used for the sparks?

PhillipM

Some parts are, some aren't, or are used as dual purpose.

mclaren111

1. Strange looking "measuring box" on Sidepod Turning Vane.

2. Diffuser Turning Vanes (right) looks quite strange !! Or is it bad reflections again ??

Just_a_fan

SameSame wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:"Specific" meaning per kg. Shown, for example, here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/engin ... _1225.html.
I know exactly what specific means, just that a modulus cannot be referred in that way. A modulus is engineering stress versus strain slope, so it does not depend on the mass of the material. I could be wrong but what I'm trying to say is that it is fixed regardless of how much material there is.

Edit: I see what you mean in that link, but there "specific" is when the modulus is per denisity. This makes complete sense if it's per density, and not per mass.
Yes, sorry, meant to say kg/m3. mea culpa :oops:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SameSame

Re: McLaren MP4-31 H

Just_a_fan wrote:
SameSame wrote:

Yes, sorry, meant to say kg/m3. mea culpa :oops:
No worries :mrgreen: :D

PhillipM

It's the split in the diffuser vanes you're seeing as shadows - light is catching one set and not the other.

PlatinumZealot

The metal parts are rapid prototypes. Quicker to make.
Rmember Mclaren had a metal blown diffuser in 2011. It was for the Australia race when they had to quickly change designs from the fan exhaust to the cannon type.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ojlopez

McLaren brakes in detail

Thunder

More Slots for the Frontwing, this time a little bit more refined (at least from the looks of it) than in Spain (and even the one used until now):

Is it the Angle of the Picture or are the Wingtips now more curved, so they go more in the Direction Merc and RB go with their Wings?

Edit: more Pictures....
Image https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 8380537857
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren111

So !!!! ???

No major aero update apart from FW as Alonso said not long ago :o :( :o

PhillipM

Apart from the new floor you mean? :wink:

Thunder

Wallpaper Material
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum