Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari

Apparently they run the RWEP mainplane slots without a structural support on the endplate's edge. Interesting development. I think this will normalize the pressure gradient all around the endplate, reducing the endplate vortex further.
#AeroFrodo

hemichromis

theriusDR3 wrote:SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO has an option of Ferrari 059/5 power unit in 2016 but at the final race of 2016 season
Where's the source?
Toro Rosso has previously says that changing to a 2016 engine mid-season wouldn't be possible, to do it only for one race seems unlikely.

scuderiafan

hemichromis wrote:
theriusDR3 wrote:SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO has an option of Ferrari 059/5 power unit in 2016 but at the final race of 2016 season
Where's the source?
Toro Rosso has previously says that changing to a 2016 engine mid-season wouldn't be possible, to do it only for one race seems unlikely.
If Toro Rosso are going to be using the 2016 Ferrari unit for the 2017 season, it would benefit them to run it at the last race to gather data under race weekend conditions. If they're going to 2017 engines for the 2017 season, then I agree that it would not be worth the hassle.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

cramr

scuderiafan wrote:
hemichromis wrote:
Where's the source?
If Toro Rosso are going to be using the 2016 Ferrari unit for the 2017 season, it would benefit them to run it at the last race to gather data under race weekend conditions. If they're going to 2017 engines for the 2017 season, then I agree that it would not be worth the hassle.
Maybe, but the cost/time/resources needed to do that (basically a completely new chassis 5 month in advance to what is needed) are much worse than the possible benefits.
Ferrari can provide experiemental after a season of runing the engine in 6 cars

wuzak

scuderiafan wrote:
hemichromis wrote:
Where's the source?
I expect that STR will use 2017 Ferrari PUs in 2017.

Because the recent agreement between the manufacturers and the FIA over unrestricted development in return for low fixed price supply was that they would give everybody equal equipment.

And the conditions that have led to STR using last year's Ferrari PU this year will not happen for next year. ie they will not sign with Ferrari for supply of PUs in October/November.

ME4ME

wuzak wrote:I expect that STR will use 2017 Ferrari PUs in 2017.

Because the recent agreement between the manufacturers and the FIA over unrestricted development in return for low fixed price supply was that they would give everybody equal equipment.

And the conditions that have led to STR using last year's Ferrari PU this year will not happen for next year. ie they will not sign with Ferrari for supply of PUs in October/November.
I agree to that. Also wasn't Ferrari arguing that they didn't had the capacity for Toro Rosso to use 2016-spec PU's? That won't be the case next year. Also surely Ferrari would want as many teams as possible (within reason) to run their most up to date unit. The milage Mercedes has gathered in the first test together with its PU costumers says it all really. They now have a much broader set of data then the other PU manufacturers.

wuzak

ME4ME wrote:

I agree to that. Also wasn't Ferrari arguing that they didn't had the capacity for Toro Rosso to use 2016-spec PU's? That won't be the case next year. Also surely Ferrari would want as many teams as possible (within reason) to run their most up to date unit. The milage Mercedes has gathered in the first test together with its PU costumers says it all really. They now have a much broader set of data then the other PU manufacturers.
Yes, the lateness of the deal meant that Ferrari could not supply 2016 units. If they had signed up in June/July then something could have been sorted out.

henra

wuzak wrote: And the conditions that have led to STR using last year's Ferrari PU this year will not happen for next year. ie they will not sign with Ferrari for supply of PUs in October/November.
Looking at the really beautiful STR11 and having Max as a driver Ferrari would, however, risk that its Customer Team might steal the one or other WCC point away from them (if we don't see a miracle with Kimi soon).

f1316

Still think Marchionne is going to keep trying to leverage this relationship to increase Alfa Romeo's involvement. Whether or not it becomes a separate PU with a separate development team or just a rebadged Ferrari - or even they try to purchase the team entirety from RB - who knows, but I think it's his plan from various comments made, and a Faenza based team seems like a good starting point.

Godius

wuzak wrote:
ME4ME wrote:

Yes, the lateness of the deal meant that Ferrari could not supply 2016 units. If they had signed up in June/July then something could have been sorted out.
This isn't correct. Ferrari offered STR a 2016 spec (rebranded as Alfa Romeo ) but was asking 30 million euro per year for it. Dietrich Mateschitz told Ferrari that they were not interested paying that price for their b-team. Take note that Ferrari didn't offer the 2016 spec (rebranded as Alfa Romeo) to RBR.

ME4ME

Godius wrote:This isn't correct. Ferrari offered STR a 2016 spec (rebranded as Alfa Romeo ) but was asking 30 million euro per year for it. Dietrich Mateschitz told Ferrari that they were not interested paying that price for their b-team. Take note that Ferrari didn't offer the 2016 spec (rebranded as Alfa Romeo) to RBR.
Ferrari never offered the Ferrari 2016-spec unit. They wanted RBR and TR to develop their own PU, from a Ferrari-2015 baseline, using Ferrari facilities, at the price of €30M. Red Bull obviously wasn't willing to pay that amount of money. Also there was unclearity about IP, and at that time it wasn't clear if the FIA would allow it. But never did Ferrari offer TR the 2016-Ferrari PU.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... omeo-plan/
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/02/03/ ... oro-rosso/

Godius

ME4ME wrote:
Godius wrote:This isn't correct. Ferrari offered STR a 2016 spec (rebranded as Alfa Romeo ) but was asking 30 million euro per year for it. Dietrich Mateschitz told Ferrari that they were not interested paying that price for their b-team. Take note that Ferrari didn't offer the 2016 spec (rebranded as Alfa Romeo) to RBR.
Ferrari never offered the Ferrari 2016-spec unit. They wanted RBR and TR to develop their own PU, from a Ferrari-2015 baseline, using Ferrari facilities, at the price of €30M. Red Bull obviously wasn't willing to pay that amount of money. Also there was unclearity about IP, and at that time it wasn't clear if the FIA would allow it. But never did Ferrari offer TR the 2016-Ferrari PU.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... omeo-plan/
http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/02/03/ ... oro-rosso/
Conflicting sources: http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/20855 ... toro-rosso

ME4ME

Nothing conflicting. That source just missed the separate development path; the very reason for the €30M required.

Godius

ME4ME wrote:Nothing conflicting. That source just missed the separate development path; the very reason for the €30M required.
That is your opinion and I respect that.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.