Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Juzh

Re: Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

Blackout wrote:This is a bit OT but what about the Toro Rossos vs Palmer struggle? (and the STR had much fresher tires). Power difference isnt huge IMO. We can discuss that in the team or race thread.
And Ric passed many Merc engined cars -and a (Toro Rosso?) quite easily and was happy about that, underlining the power gain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-uj-vjQ-sA
Underlining much higher relative pace difference.
He overtook hulkenberg, button and massa twice. All those cars were 1s or more off his pace at the time of overtake.

Triumph1188

It is also possible that the Red Bull has a better chassis and is able to follow better than the Torro Rosso. The reports were that the Renault power unit had much better driveability so that would be better for overtaking as well. The drivers will have more confidence getting on the power.

Juzh

Triumph1188 wrote:The reports were that the Renault power unit had much better driveability so that would be better for overtaking as well. The drivers will have more confidence getting on the power.
It has better driveavility than in had it 2015, which was horrible at early stages and probably nothing special after that. There's no evidence whatsoever it's better than any other power unit out there. There is evidence it was utter crap though.

Triumph1188

I guess I wasn't inferring that it was superior to any other power unit on terms of reliability. I was just stating that it was reported to have been improved from 2015. I am sure that improvement will help the Red Bull drivers get on the power sooner for overtaking using DRS with an underpowered unit.

Blackout

So even Horner and Ricciardo are wrong. Only juzh is right; "the new PU is just a bit more driveable"...
:lol: :arrow:

carisi2k

Juzh wrote:
Triumph1188 wrote:The reports were that the Renault power unit had much better driveability so that would be better for overtaking as well. The drivers will have more confidence getting on the power.
It has better driveavility than in had it 2015, which was horrible at early stages and probably nothing special after that. There's no evidence whatsoever it's better than any other power unit out there. There is evidence it was utter crap though.
It has improved enough that it is the third best power unit. The drivability seems to be the thing that is keeping the Red Bull drivers happy. You can still tell in the interviews they would really like some more power but they just have to do with what they have for now. Hopefully the Canada spec will be all it is cracked up to be and they actually get the 50hp that is supposed to come with it. In the meantime the chassis looks to be a hell of a race car. They can do consistently fast laps for long stints unlike Torro Rosso, Williams and Force India.

Alonsofor2017

I genuinely believe that red bull could be challenging for wins halfway through the season, if the RenAult upgrade is good (they have so many more tokens than anybody else) they already have an amazing chassis, never discount them their pretty much the same team they where in 2010-2014

zac510

carisi2k wrote: It has improved enough that it is the third best power unit.
It has improved from third to third best power unit?

Triumph1188

Maybe it has surpassed the 2015 spec Ferrari to climb to 3rd?

The chassis (might have something to do with Ricciardo as well) was much better on tires than the Torro Rosso cars.

I am looking forward to some of the tighter circuits like Monaco or Singapore to see how it stacks up.

dot235

Triumph1188 wrote:Maybe it has surpassed the 2015 spec Ferrari to climb to 3rd?

The chassis (might have something to do with Ricciardo as well) was much better on tires than the Torro Rosso cars.

I am looking forward to some of the tighter circuits like Monaco or Singapore to see how it stacks up.
I highly doubt it's better than Ferrari 2015 EPU. But it's possibly close.

Ricciardo is known for his ability to drive smoothly and be easy on tires with these modern reg torquay cars. :wink:

Triumph1188

dot235 wrote:

Ricciardo is known for his ability to drive smoothly and be easy on tires with these modern reg torquay cars. :wink:
Sarcasm intended with respect to the 2015 Ferrari unit. I think it is still behind. I wish it wasn't so RBR could unleash their full aero package.

carisi2k

zac510 wrote:
carisi2k wrote: It has improved enough that it is the third best power unit.
It has improved from third to third best power unit?
I was thinking more along the lines of 2016 power units and wasn't including the 2015 ferrari PU. The Red Bull is marginally the better chassis and Red Bull also have better tactics then Torro Rosso.

LookBackTime

FrukostScones

it crashed with a MotoGP
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Pierce89

Triumph1188 wrote:
dot235 wrote:

Sarcasm intended with respect to the 2015 Ferrari unit. I think it is still behind. I wish it wasn't so RBR could unleash their full aero package.
Unleashed their full aero package? They are already running their "full aero package" as its the only aero package. Everything they do is optimized around what they already have. If Renault brings 50 hp more. Red Bull will run more wing, that's it. The idea that they have a "better" package just sitting around till they get more power is way off base. They incrementally improve their aero at all times. They're throwing every bit of lap time on the track as soon as they can, same as every other team. Even Mclaren don't have some aero pacage just waiting on more power.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher