Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Juzh

Re: Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

Pierce89 wrote:
Triumph1188 wrote:
dot235 wrote:
I highly doubt it's better than Ferrari 2015 EPU. But it's possibly close.

Ricciardo is known for his ability to drive smoothly and be easy on tires with these modern reg torquay cars. :wink:
Sarcasm intended with respect to the 2015 Ferrari unit. I think it is still behind. I wish it wasn't so RBR could unleash their full aero package.
Unleashed their full aero package? They are already running their "full aero package" as its the only aero package. Everything they do is optimized around what they already have. If Renault brings 50 hp more. Red Bull will run more wing, that's it. The idea that they have a "better" package just sitting around till they get more power is way off base. They incrementally improve their aero at all times. They're throwing every bit of lap time on the track as soon as they can, same as every other team. Even Mclaren don't have some aero pacage just waiting on more power.
You're directly going against yourself in this post. First saying they can't bring full aero package (implying more aero), and then saying they will run more wing should they get more power.

Which one is it?

turbof1

Juzh wrote: You're directly going against yourself in this post. First saying they can't bring full aero package (implying more aero), and then saying they will run more wing should they get more power.

Which one is it?
He is not. The amount of aero you run can be dummed down to 3 things: downforce, drag and engine power to overcome drag. Their current package is the best they have given current development and current power.
#AeroFrodo

Juzh

turbof1 wrote:
Juzh wrote: You're directly going against yourself in this post. First saying they can't bring full aero package (implying more aero), and then saying they will run more wing should they get more power.

Which one is it?
He is not. The amount of aero you run can be dummed down to 3 things: downforce, drag and engine power to overcome drag. Their current package is the best they have given current development and current power.
That last bit about power seems pretty important.

Pierce89

Juzh wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
Triumph1188 wrote:
Sarcasm intended with respect to the 2015 Ferrari unit. I think it is still behind. I wish it wasn't so RBR could unleash their full aero package.
Unleashed their full aero package? They are already running their "full aero package" as its the only aero package. Everything they do is optimized around what they already have. If Renault brings 50 hp more. Red Bull will run more wing, that's it. The idea that they have a "better" package just sitting around till they get more power is way off base. They incrementally improve their aero at all times. They're throwing every bit of lap time on the track as soon as they can, same as every other team. Even Mclaren don't have some aero pacage just waiting on more power.
You're directly going against yourself in this post. First saying they can't bring full aero package (implying more aero), and then saying they will run more wing should they get more power.

Which one is it?
Adding a bit of wing isn't a different aero package. Red Bull and Mclaren both run their "full" aero package. So, do you think Red Bull has a special package just waiting in the wings for more power? Red Bull has lost their aero gap they had on the field for years. Now they're equal to Mercedes, probably, but I wouldn't say they're better other than (maybe)the very top end of the df range.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

f1rules
f1rules

Adding a bit of wing isn't a different aero package. Red Bull and Mclaren both run their "full" aero package. So, do you think Red Bull has a special package just waiting in the wings for more power? Red Bull has lost their aero gap they had on the field for years. Now they're equal to Mercedes, probably, but I wouldn't say they're better other than (maybe)the very top end of the df range.
i have to correct you on this, mclaren is indeed holding back their high df rearwing, rb not, im not saying rb are running it at full df, still

fawe4
fawe4

turbof1 wrote:

Which one is it?
That's not exactly true. There are always different philosophies of favouring drag over downforce no matter what engine allows. Each team's got to chose their own way, and theirs clearly changed, or better said, it went to Mclaren with their head of aero.

RegerandeBull

megz

Some neat photos there - that first one I was almost convinced was a videogame render it seemed too perfect/smooth!

carisi2k

Interesting to note that even without a front wing end plate both RB12's looked faster then Williams, Force India and Torro Rosso. It seems clear that it is clearly the third fastest car and one wonders where it would be with a Merc engine.

namao
namao

carisi2k wrote:I It seems clear that it is clearly the third fastest car and one wonders where it would be with a Merc engine.
With a Mercedes engine Red Bull would beat Mercedes and Ferrari. 2017 will be their year.

hemichromis
hemichromis

carisi2k wrote:Interesting to note that even without a front wing end plate both RB12's looked faster then Williams, Force India and Torro Rosso. It seems clear that it is clearly the third fastest car and one wonders where it would be with a Merc engine.
I wouldn't wonder at all! when engines get closer to parity next year we will see how good this car is.
I expect Ricciardo will be happy that he is not out of contract!

ME4ME

hemichromis wrote:I wouldn't wonder at all! when engines get closer to parity next year we will see how good this car is.
Such a weird comment. They obviously won't run this car next year. And the successor (RB13) will be designed to other regulations. Next year there is really nothing new to say about this years car, other then estimating the quality of the team that designs and manufactures it.

hemichromis
hemichromis

ME4ME wrote:
hemichromis wrote:I wouldn't wonder at all! when engines get closer to parity next year we will see how good this car is.
Such a weird comment. They obviously won't run this car next year. And the successor (RB13) will be designed to other regulations. Next year there is really nothing new to say about this years car, other then estimating the quality of the team that designs and manufactures it.
Weird comment!? Red bull have form for building very good cars, this years car seems to be an example of that.

To me it seems reasonable to expect them to do the same next year.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

hemichromis wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
Weird comment!? Red bull have form for building very good cars, this years car seems to be an example of that.

To me it seems reasonable to expect them to do the same next year.
it seems you lack to understand the regulation change of 2017 will cause that this car is simply unusable so it will not be the same car, it wont even be comparable. a 2016 sauber is an evolution of a 2015 sauber, even that isn't the same, but you could imagine it being more or less the same.
the 2016 RB12 is quite different to the 2015 one, and the 2017 will not be any evolution but a 'revolution'. because of the rule changes. that's why.

this car only works for this year.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Blackout

The RB12 is an evolution of the late RB11. Both cars are very close. RB12 is a refinement, a tidied up version of its predecessor. But it seems it gained almost 3s per lap in Q (2.9s in Melbourne and Bahrain) while Merc gained just over 3s compared to 2015. According to Pirelli, the tires bring 1s, so the RB chassis and PU gained around 2s.
Qualy speed traps were better than last year too. 4-5kmh behind the best cars/8kmh behind the highest top speed (Williams), while they were 11kmh and 16kmh behind in 2015. But as you saw, the Williams was no match for the RB in Q and race.
The gap at the speed trap has been halved In Bahrain. Race top speeds are better too (slipstream bla bla, I know but even...)