Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gandharva

Re: Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

lio007

lio007

Old FW on todays car:

carisi2k

gandharva wrote:Yes, off-throttle (at the end of the clip) is very different imho. Much more McHonda. Beside that, typical dull Renault sound.
I think you will find that noise was the kerbs and not an off throttle sound.

lio007

detailed front suspension:

detailed rear suspension:

detailed floor shot:

Ozan

looks like they copied W07's front lower suspension arms. but rear suspension remains the same over the years.

ME4ME

So hard to spot alterations or upgrades on the Red Bull this season. We've seen them running flowvis and pressure sensor rakes over and over again, yet view upgrades have actually been identified.

lio007

ME4ME wrote:So hard to spot alterations or upgrades on the Red Bull this season. We've seen them running flowvis and pressure sensor rakes over and over again, yet view upgrades have actually been identified.
Absolutely. Maybe already fully focused on 2017 or maybe they are waiting for the improved PU and begin then with chassis-updates afterwards.
Until now, it's pretty much the same car as it was in pre-season-testing.

PhillipM

Or most of the changes are small contouring and internal work.

DiogoBrand

I wouldn't bet against them already preparing for next season. We all know what happened when they prepared in advance for the 2009 rule changes.

basti313

DiogoBrand wrote:I wouldn't bet against them already preparing for next season. We all know what happened when they prepared in advance for the 2009 rule changes.
As far as I can see it most teams are working on the suspension in two regards:
a) Making it softer without loosing the feeling for the car (this is one of the big advantages from Merc)
b) Turning the brake duct under braking for more AoA.

These are two developments we do not see and which will clearly be used also next year.
Don`t russel the hamster!

gandharva

Afair they started the work for RB13 in april. But on the other hand, I think the upgrades this year are also there. Completely new frontwing and several iterations of rearwing (sideplates). But most of CFD time will for sure go towards 2017 already.

Seeing them run so much different rakes in the in-season test, I think they did lots of setup work for the new engine. They maybe could start to come up with more old school RBR setups, by slapping on more downforce (because they can ;) ), in the upcoming races. Imho the engine update was perfectly timed with the first in-season test.

trinidefender

DiogoBrand wrote:I wouldn't bet against them already preparing for next season. We all know what happened when they prepared in advance for the 2009 rule changes.
Generally most teams (who are wel funded) start working on the next seasons car once the present season starts. When I say starts working on I mean setting goals, benchmarks and initial drafts.

GPR-A duplicate2

RICCIARDO AND MAGNUSSEN TO GET RENAULT UPGRADE IN MONACO
Although Renault has actually slated Canada as the debut race for the 35 horse power, 5-tenths-per-lap power unit upgrade, officials are considering fast-tracking the process to Monaco next weekend.

But Auto Motor und Sport reports that the problem with that plan could be a lack of spare parts, meaning only one works Renault and one Red Bull gets the upgrade for the streets of the Principality.

For Red Bull, it might be a difficult decision. Does Max Verstappen, F1’s new teen winner, get the Tag-Heuer branded upgrade, or should it go to the more experienced Daniel Ricciardo?

“Very clearly, I would give the engine to Ricciardo,” Niki Lauda, the F1 legend and Mercedes’ team chairman, said.

“Max Verstappen is the man of the future, but despite all the hype about his (Max’s) first victory, you have to say that Ricciardo is still the better overall package,” he added.

Jolle

trinidefender wrote:
Generally most teams (who are wel funded) start working on the next seasons car once the present season starts. When I say starts working on I mean setting goals, benchmarks and initial drafts.
With the CFD and wind tunnel rules, they have to get the basics for a new rule era spot on. So yes, the only, time consuming, updates that they invest in are the ones they can also use for the 2017 rules.
Williams was the best example for the last rule change. For 2013 they did nothing for development, just investing all the time into the 2014 car, which is, in basis, still used now. McLaren on the other hand build a complete new design for 2013 (they thought they could do a 1988), then again for 2014 and again for 2015 with a whole new concept.
It looks like, with the RB12 being a minor upgrade from the 11, that they only do stuff to keep their engineers busy until the new rules are clear. The best car for 2017 with partly be down who still has the most CFD and windtunnel time left.