Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
flmkane

Re: Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

noname wrote:
flmkane wrote:Guess what's cheaper and gives better results. TESTING!!!!
On top of that simulator provides very well controlled environment. Test chambers/cells/simulators are being used everywhere, why F1 should rely solely on such an old fashioned tool as field testing?
Answer: because testing is faster. Case in point, McLaren Honda, Ferrari posted 2008 and Red Bull 2014-2015

Sevach

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/57620-techni ... aco.html/2

Monaco always brings the goods lol.

wesley123

flmkane wrote:
noname wrote:
On top of that simulator provides very well controlled environment. Test chambers/cells/simulators are being used everywhere, why F1 should rely solely on such an old fashioned tool as field testing?
Answer: because testing is faster. Case in point, McLaren Honda, Ferrari posted 2008 and Red Bull 2014-2015

I doubt that. For testing you need to bring a whole crew, trucks etc. etc. Cars have to be built before running and you are spending a lot of time in the pits. In a simulator you can just get in and go
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SR71

noname wrote:
I am not that certain.

To do track testing you need to rent the track, send the cars, parts, equipment and people there, to properly evaluate components after testing you have to ship them back, risk in case something will fail is much lower, etc. Unless the team has a track next to the factory simulator can simplify (and thus make cheaper) whole logistic behind.

Doesn't field testing also require physical parts? If you wanted to test 10 Front wings which take 6 weeks to build each that's just ridiculous.

Simulating those is a few mouse clicks. If you know your simulator is very well correlated you only need a handful of field tests to verify the best results.

No way field testing comes back as we previously knew it.

rscsr

SR71 wrote:
noname wrote:
I am not that certain.

To do track testing you need to rent the track, send the cars, parts, equipment and people there, to properly evaluate components after testing you have to ship them back, risk in case something will fail is much lower, etc. Unless the team has a track next to the factory simulator can simplify (and thus make cheaper) whole logistic behind.

Doesn't field testing also require physical parts? If you wanted to test 10 Front wings which take 6 weeks to build each that's just ridiculous.

Simulating those is a few mouse clicks. If you know your simulator is very well correlated you only need a handful of field tests to verify the best results.

No way field testing comes back as we previously knew it.
The simulation still needs a significant amount of time. According to TMG a change of a front wing needs about a day for results. But simulation is usually still significantly cheaper and more useful than field testing.

carisi2k

That is just a titanium block at the front. The sparks coming from underneath the car are created by that. There isn't anything allowed to be developed in that area.

seezung

New spec rw:

ME4ME

Looks like the old one to me, with the long vertical slot in the end plate.

turbof1

It's a "new" one, or better yet first used this season. The endplate has the leading edge slot stretched almost completely along the length of the leading edge, and has less louvres. The leading edge of the mainplane aerofoil is also carefully sculpted.

EDIT: Sorry, it's indeed not new. It's the same like the one in Russia, albeit still with differences. A bit of a hybrid between the Monaco and the Russia spec.
#AeroFrodo

Albrodpul

Not new. Bahrain spec:

Juzh

It is a lower downforce setup, but does not seem over the top skinny.

turbof1

It is indeed interesting they are taking the Bahrain spec wing. Bahrain is considered to be more of a medium downforce circuit, while Canada belongs in the lower range. Normally you'd see atleast a wing with less AoA.

It shows confidence in the increased horsepower and increased efficiency to compensate for the extra drag and fuel consumption. We might see Red Bull run more downforce on all circuits from now.
#AeroFrodo

atlantis

1,5cm shorter new nose for RedBull in Canada... will it be difficult to spot the difference from the old one? :)
https://twitter.com/F1_LAT/status/741001813550305281

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."