Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

As theorized above mercedes has better grip. It is not clear to me if it is tyre magic or suspension magic but the extra grip definitely allows them to run less wing and make the engine look super powerful.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

carisi2k

Yes the Renault engine has improved but it still has a significant way to go before it is on par with Mercedes. Red Bull know they can't challenge Mercedes for the WDC because of the advantages the Mercedes engine has but this RB12 is something special and an equal to the Mercedes chassis and Mercedes now that. RB are really more interested in finishing ahead of Ferrari in 2016 and occasionally playing with the numero uno team.

flickerf1

RB12 fitted w/ a Monkey Seat for Hungary: https://twitter.com/albertfabrega/statu ... 3571068928

Edit: More pics of the Monkey Seat: https://twitter.com/albrodpul/status/756125285452578816
The Wicked + The Divine.

outer_bongolia

Partially the monkey seat question is an interesting one. How much does the better exhaust gas redirection assist the diffuser? Does that enable Merc to get their better grip (and reduce the rear wing)?
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Atticus

It makes sense to finally run the monkey seat, I was surprised as it was that they haven't done so in Monaco.

I mean you probably won't overtake either here or there, so you should just bolt on as much downforce as possible and forget about drag. (And you don't get overtaken in a Red Bull either since Renault's Monaco/Montreal engine upgrade - it did not elevate them to Mercedes' level but it reduced the arrears well enough to avoid highway passes.)

This could be a major pro vs. Mercedes. This and the higher temperatures compared to Monaco. (The major cons are, of course, Mercedes' two significant aero upgrades since Monaco, compared to a sole new nose and new rear wing endplates at Red Bull and the fact that full throttle is 46% here and 35% in Monaco.)
The F1 Formbook - https://thef1formbook.wordpress.com/
Performance analysis of F1 race weekends based on raw official data

gandharva

I would't be too surprised if the monkey seat will be gone tomorrow. RBR loose too much time in S1 and S3 on Merc. Especially S1.

bhall II

TAG

I'd run across this early on this season, not sure where it came from but it was the first time I'd seen rake angle for teams listed. Red Bull's all about that rake, bout that rake, bout that rake. #-o
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GPR-A duplicate2

How the hell do they manage to keep that rear planted? How is that car not badly diving under breaking? Shouldn't an angle like that, from rear to front, push a great deal of lateral load to the front under breaking, way more than others?

sosic2121

GPR-A wrote:
How the hell do they manage to keep that rear planted? How is that car not badly diving under breaking? Shouldn't an angle like that, from rear to front, push a great deal of lateral load to the front under breaking, way more than others?
I think you're asking wrong questions.
How can they seal the sides so air aside of the car is not sucked under the car?

PhillipM

GPR-A wrote:
Why would it? Load transfer is just CoG, grip and wheelbase.

godlameroso

sosic2121 wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
I think you're asking wrong questions.
How can they seal the sides so air aside of the car is not sucked under the car?
I have an idea how.
Saishū kōnā

carisi2k

GPR-A wrote:
I think it does push the front a bit but with the additional downforce it allows them to run a slightly wider but faster turn through the corners. I was very keenly observing this at hungary. The merc always seemed to hit the apex where the drivers wanted it whereas the red bulls were always a little bit wider but seemed to carry more speed, although maybe not that much more then the Mercedes but definitely more then all the other cars.

gandharva

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare