Renault R.S.16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_

Re: Renault R.S.16

Seems like the PU upgrade tested this week had a positive feedback both in terms of diveability and performance. Looking forward to see how this translates in time during the Canadian Grand Prix.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Kiril Varbanov

Here's a live shot of a RS car, this is from their show room at Champs Elysee. It is amazing how big is that car in live.
https://twitter.com/Kiril_Varbanov/stat ... 5631810560

Formula Wrong

Palmer will get a new chassis for Montreal. Not surprising after seeing the heavy damage his car suffered.

By the way, does Renault use something like a vanity panel? There seems to be a part of the monocoque being broken off the rest but it doesn't belong to the nose cone:
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

JDC123

Formula Wrong wrote:Palmer will get a new chassis for Montreal. Not surprising after seeing the heavy damage his car suffered.

By the way, does Renault use something like a vanity panel? There seems to be a part of the monocoque being broken off the rest but it doesn't belong to the nose cone:
http://i.imgur.com/7W1c3Qc.png
Yes Renault use a vanity panel, you can see it here:
Still incredible how easily the chassis damaged considering it was relatively slow compared to impacts we've seen in the past.
You can clearly see the chassis is damaged were the L of 'Renault' is between the vanity panel and access hole.

RicME85

I too was surprised at the damage done to the front of the tub but thinking back, the first contact partially detached the nose so when the second impact happened the nose came off completely and the front of the tub took the majority of the load instead of the nose.
Still, its no wonder Palmer has bruised feet.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Blackout

absbeginner

RicME85 wrote:I too was surprised at the damage done to the front of the tub but thinking back, the first contact partially detached the nose so when the second impact happened the nose came off completely and the front of the tub took the majority of the load instead of the nose.
Still, its no wonder Palmer has bruised feet.
Chassis failure has probably been caused by wheel cables.

When the car hit the barrier the load on right front tire ripped off the entire nose.

patrik

ME4ME

They're pre-heating the brakes. Part of tyre pressure management.

Nathanael F1

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Here's a live shot of a RS car, this is from their show room at Champs Elysee. It is amazing how big is that car in live.

That just looks like a showcar - notice how the nose is completely different.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

DiogoBrand

Nathanael F1 wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:Here's a live shot of a RS car, this is from their show room at Champs Elysee. It is amazing how big is that car in live.

It is.

domh245

DiogoBrand wrote:
Nathanael F1 wrote:

It is.
Specifically, it is a Lotus E22, with the COTA test nose fitted. Same car that was used for this photo