F1 - FIA has eye on flexing Ferrari, Red Bull

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LookBackTime

The FIA is aware of the issue and could invoke Article 3.15

11 June 2016 - 12h03, by GMM
Some flexing bodywork on the 2016 car has caught the eye of some rival teams.

That is the claim of Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, revealing that at high speed the rear wing and ’monkey seat’ of the red car flex, providing a likely aerodynamic advantage.

Not only that, correspondent Michael Schmidt said details on Red Bull’s front wing is also attracting attention, even though both the team and Ferrari are passing all of the current FIA flex tests.

He reports that the FIA is aware of the issue and could invoke Article 3.15 of the technical regulations that forbids any part of the car to move for aerodynamic gain.

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/FIA- ... 04781.html

SR71

Re: F1 - FIA has eye on flexing Ferrari, Red Bull

LookBackTime wrote:F1 - FIA has eye on flexing Ferrari, Red Bull
The FIA is aware of the issue and could invoke Article 3.15

11 June 2016 - 12h03, by GMM
Some flexing bodywork on the 2016 car has caught the eye of some rival teams.

That is the claim of Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, revealing that at high speed the rear wing and ’monkey seat’ of the red car flex, providing a likely aerodynamic advantage.

Not only that, correspondent Michael Schmidt said details on Red Bull’s front wing is also attracting attention, even though both the team and Ferrari are passing all of the current FIA flex tests.

He reports that the FIA is aware of the issue and could invoke Article 3.15 of the technical regulations that forbids any part of the car to move for aerodynamic gain.

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/FIA- ... 04781.html
Awesome. Push the limits.

zac510

What exactly can the FIA do but increase the strictness of the scrutineering test a bit more?
No good turn goes unpunished.

LookBackTime

zac510 wrote:What exactly can the FIA do but increase the strictness of the scrutineering test a bit more?
revisit the battery of tests they are doing now to verify the legality of the F1 cars !

ripper

Yesterday on italian SKY they showed RB and MER front wing and they both flexed on straight, but I can't find a video to post here

zac510

LookBackTime wrote:
zac510 wrote:What exactly can the FIA do but increase the strictness of the scrutineering test a bit more?
revisit the battery of tests they are doing now to verify the legality of the F1 cars !
Yes that's what I said, but the article implies that "invoking 3.15" is something they can do on suspicion, ie without evidence.
No good turn goes unpunished.

fenix4life

If they pass the test the car is legal.
If the test is done at x Kg and during the race the stress on the wing is x*2 kg then the flex on it can be different. Is it then to be considered illegal. Not sure. It's always looking for the boundary of rules.

Jolle

fenix4life wrote:
If the test is done at x Kg and during the race the stress on the wing is x*2 kg then the flex on it can be different. Is it then to be considered illegal. Not sure. It's always looking for the boundary of rules.
I don't agree,
If the rules state: a FW isn't allowed to bend more the 5mm while in use, the 100kg test doesn't make it legal if it bends at 105kg.
If the rules state: with a load of 100kg the wing must be rigid within 5mm, then it may turn into jelly at 105kg.

A test doesn't make it legal, it's just a test if it's legal under the circumstances of the test.

wesley123

Why is this news? Reports of flexing wings have become common knowledge as early as 2006, when it was mandated that Ferrari should properly connect the cascade to the nose
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Juzh

Jolle wrote:
fenix4life wrote:
I don't agree,
If the rules state: a FW isn't allowed to bend more the 5mm while in use, the 100kg test doesn't make it legal if it bends at 105kg.
It 100% makes it legal at 105 kg. And that's the end of it.
Jolle wrote: If the rules state: with a load of 100kg the wing must be rigid within 5mm, then it may turn into jelly at 105kg.
A test doesn't make it legal, it's just a test if it's legal under the circumstances of the test.
Even the FIA doesn't agree with your assessment. If they would, RB and other teams would be disqualified 100 times in the past.

fenix4life

Juzh wrote: Even the FIA doesn't agree with your assessment. If they would, RB and other teams would be disqualified 100 times in the past.
They can't really assess the flex during the race or they should install sensors on all cars.
It's spirit of the rule vs the rule.

If a rule is being assessed in a particular way I will only make sure it passes the test. Why should I do better. Ok it might not be in line with the spirit of the rule (I agree) but can you ever win by implemented everything as it was intended to be.

It's the same with the tyre pressure. They check it at the start.

godlameroso

You could have a surface that doesn't deflect under load but deflects predictably when an electric current is passed through memory alloys embedded in the surface.

Saishū kōnā

basti313

godlameroso wrote:You could have a surface that doesn't deflect under load but deflects predictably when an electric current is passed through memory alloys embedded in the surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rrPv5AlVXg
This would be clearly against the rules and no way FIA overlooks it.
Don`t russel the hamster!

basti313

fenix4life wrote:
That's it. They have a test and they will come up with a new test soon. As long as the current parts pass the current tests everything is fine.

And I do not see that as relevant. If we are looking closely at article 3.15 the problem are the front brake ducts. It is incredible how much the whole front suspension flexes under breaking to increase the AOA for the brake ducts. But obviously this is nothing you can test easily.
But I see that as rather dangerous. I suspect the flexing suspension as the source for the easy breaking on Ves car during Q in Monaco when he touched the wall.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Ozan

anybody got the video of the flexing?