Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

Thanks for reminding me! :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Thunder

Had to do a little Cleanup here. Remember this Thread is about the RB13. Not the RB6, 7 or 8 and where the Coanda Solution originated from.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

djos

Ted mentioned on his post qually notebook that red bull had correlation issues with their wind tunnel and the next big aero update will fix the issues they've found.
"In downforce we trust"

Quantum

Shakeman wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 14:22

@Quantum, from the way Horner was talking the trick suspension was a long way off ever coming to the car and was very much still in R&D and was way too heavy. The aero they have was not built with the suspension in mind.

Someone said in this thread a while ago was Newey's design simplified to the point of genius or old hat. I think the results so far have shown it to be the latter rather than the former. It will be very interesting to see what the B spec car looks like.
The RB12 and RB11 ran similar suspension tricks, as reportedly Red Bull have run such systems for a few years now.
This is what lends weight to the argument.
I'm not saying this a certainty by any means, just that it is the most plausible currently. Especially in light of DJOS comment regarding the calibration of the wind tunnel....this is highly un-Red Bull like.

What I'm posing is that the suspension Red Bull had in mind to beat the clarification, is way off in terms of packaging and mass. If we use a constant, the Renault engine, and bear in mind fluctuations with a new rule set more in favour of aerodynamics and harder tyres, the Renault team proper have closed a 2.3 second gap around Bahrain to just 0.3 seconds.

Had it been a wind tunnel correlation issue, would this not have reared its head in years previous? Especially when we are talking the marginal gains and fine margins Red Bull are renowned for?
"Interplay of triads"

Blackout

Low res pic

Enstone

Shakeman

Quantum wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 16:27

Had it been a wind tunnel correlation issue, would this not have reared its head in years previous? Especially when we are talking the marginal gains and fine margins Red Bull are renowned for?
Horner said the correlation issue was with the wind tunnel and CFD. Of course we'll never get the detail whether it's the same correlation issue with both tunnel and CFD or whether there are different issues with tunnel and CFD results.

Maybe the fact Newey has been splitting his time on different projects has resulted in the issue or maybe Merc and Ferrari have a technical lead which has resulted in their cars sprouting the complex appendages. Who knows, but it'll be interesting to see what RB do from here and what the B spec car ends up looking like. It could tell us a lot about where the small gains are to be found.

djos

RedBull aren't the first big team to have wind tunnel correlation issues, Ferrari and Williams have had well documented issues too. In both instances it led to their demise as championship contenders for several years, in fact Williams never really recovered from their issues during the BMW and Cosworth era.
"In downforce we trust"

Webber2011

What's the go with the size of rbr's wind tunnel ?
I mean what size models do they use ?
Does anyone know ?

gandharva

Via AMUS:

Last edited by gandharva on 18 Apr 2017, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

gandharva

Via f1fanatic High-res:

Blackout

Is it me or the bulge below the bull's head and the FIA 'E 'is bigger?

FPV GTHO

Webber2011 wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 10:39
Does anyone know ?
Im not sure if it's 50 or 60 percent model, but it doesn't really matter as they're all restricted by the regulations to what size they can run.

FW17

Webber2011 wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 10:39
Does anyone know ?
viewtopic.php?t=11690&start=105

Enstone