Red Bull RB13 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Red Bull RB13 Speculation Thread

Which twisted human being dared to put the words "sexy" and "helmut marko" in the same post?!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Moose

roon wrote:Moving the cockpit rearward should open up an arrowhead shaped volume between the front wheels and the front edge of the floor (when viewed from above).

Within this area I believe they could install one or more of the following:

-enlarged aerodynamic devices
-heat exchangers
-the engine
Nah, the red bull is all about ellipses, no way they're going to put an arrow head on it.

roon

roon wrote:Moving the cockpit rearward should open up an arrowhead shaped volume between the front wheels and the front edge of the floor (when viewed from above).

Within this area I believe they could install one or more of the following:

-enlarged aerodynamic devices
-heat exchangers
-the engine
Quick mock-up of what I mean, using the only plan-view photo of a 2017 car I could find.

ME4ME

Sorry for being impolite but .. wtf :lol:
Did you think that through?

bhall II

Ben Bowlby, is that you?

roon

ME4ME wrote:Sorry for being impolite but .. wtf :lol:
Did you think that through?
Which part? 8)
Last edited by roon on 26 Feb 2017, 05:02, edited 2 times in total.

ME4ME

The part were you try to build a legal 2017 Formula 1 car with the engine in the front. :)

I'd love to hear your ideas, how you'd make that legal, and especially, most importantly .. why!?

Moose

ME4ME wrote:The part were you try to build a legal 2017 Formula 1 car with the engine in the front. :)

I'd love to hear your ideas, how you'd make that legal, and especially, most importantly .. why!?
Better yet - where do the drivers legs go, and where to red bull's ellipses go?

roon

ME4ME wrote:The part were you try to build a legal 2017 Formula 1 car with the engine in the front. :)

It should be legal to move the engine if my reading of the rules is accurate. The rules are myriad & self referential, so a more specific illegality claim would help me respond better. Benefits? Ha, I'm looking for loopholes here—from there one can determine if something might differentiate you, positively, from competitors. I can say that packaging & aero would certainly be affected. Such as, heat exchangers could be moved to the space behind the driver & fuel tank area, minimizing the sidepods. Then all the heavy masses would be centerlined on the car. Aero wise, the floor could be shortened, as shown in the rendering, and overall more of a chevron shape is introduced.

I initially was looking into whether or not a long chassis would be legal, and it seemed like it would be. Then I started considering ways of using such a feature.

The engine placement is the most out-there of the proposals. Most likely if the chassis was lengthened it would be for aero devices or maybe heat exchangers.

roon

Moose wrote:

Drivers legs in the safety cell, per usual. If you're commenting on the front-mid engine location: the engine would be installed just forward of the safety cell, and behind front wheel centerline. The engine I estimate is only around 400mm long, with variation depending upon intake & exhaust plumbing. For reference, the chassis is ~300mm wide between the front wheels. Where the yellow-colored bodywork flares out is an estimation of where exhaust headers would reside.

Kai
Kai

Have they confirmed a time for the launch yet?

Moose

roon wrote:
Moose wrote:

Drivers legs in the safety cell, per usual. If you're commenting on the front-mid engine location: the engine would be installed just forward of the safety cell, and behind front wheel centerline. The engine I estimate is only around 400mm long, with variation depending upon intake & exhaust plumbing. For reference, the chassis is ~300mm wide between the front wheels. Where the yellow-colored bodywork flares out is an estimation of where exhaust headers would reside.
So what you're suggesting is that the driver's feet would sit inches from thousand degree exhausts, and the engine would carry power to the rear wheels through magical transmission that flows through the driver's arse hole?

roon

Offset driveshaft, unless a compromise could be made between seat height & shaft diameter. Heat shielding, insulation & ducting for managing exhaust heat. Please spare the obscenities.

carisi2k

roon wrote:Offset driveshaft, unless a compromise could be made between seat height & shaft diameter. Heat shielding, insulation & ducting for managing exhaust heat. Please spare the obscenities.
Wouldn't that result in significant power loss with such a long drive shaft. Not to mention horrible centre of gravity and balance issues with a heavy driveshaft. Nissan tried this at le mans and it was significantly slower then other lmp1 car to the point it became a huge joke. There is a reason why mid rear engine dominates open wheelers. It is because it is the most efficient form for such a vehicle.

vantage87

New car shape ? (from redbullracing.com)