McLaren MCL32 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ME4ME

Re: McLaren MP4-32 Speculation Thread

Looks to me like a foam tub. The guy in black looks to hold a vacuum cleaner. They'll probably make cut-outs for Stoffel's arms so he can rotate the steering wheel, as well as costumize the leg padding. Real tub will be finalized once they're happy with the dimensions of the foam tub.

bauc

ME4ME wrote:Looks to me like a foam tub. The guy in black looks to hold a vacuum cleaner. They'll probably make cut-outs for Stoffel's arms so he can rotate the steering wheel, as well as costumize the leg padding. Real tub will be finalized once they're happy with the dimensions of the foam tub.
Yap, that is most likely here
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

gary123

Are they testing other helmets manufactures? Because Stoffel is using a Bell since the Honda event and today i saw that he has also a Stilo. I know that McLaren has an old agreement with Arai for the drivers helmets.

SR71

ME4ME wrote:Looks to me like a foam tub. The guy in black looks to hold a vacuum cleaner. They'll probably make cut-outs for Stoffel's arms so he can rotate the steering wheel, as well as costumize the leg padding. Real tub will be finalized once they're happy with the dimensions of the foam tub.

The arm you refer to might belong to a 3D measurement device. They could use it to acruately map exactly where his hands fall or elbows hit and have those points precisely laid out on the car in CAD in real time.

If true this might mean we are looking at body work belonging to the 32.

Joseki
Joseki

I was told Fernando tried the car on the simulator yesterday and he expected a better car :(

namao
namao

Joseki wrote:I was told Fernando tried the car on the simulator yesterday and he expected a better car :(
Tabloids in this forum are allowed?

bauc

Joseki wrote:I was told Fernando tried the car on the simulator yesterday and he expected a better car :(
Really? Sorry but I consider this a total bullshit, a total bullshit. Some people see a post on Instagram of Fernando in front of the simulator room yesterday and right away ''sources'' say he does not like the car or he expected more.

Even if this has a slight chance to be true, super slight I might add....as people here seem to know more about Mclaren from Mclaren themselves, does this mean that Fernando does not like the car's behavior, speed or simply the car is not enough difficult and demanding to drive as was expected by the new changes.

This really belongs in the silly season thread and not here.

Joseki
Joseki

I know the source and it's reliable (since it's the same source that said after Silverstone that the MP4-31 had rear suspension problems), so I kinda trust it. They are still simulating with the 2016 Honda unit and with a not final aero spec tho.

bauc

Joseki wrote:I know the source and it's reliable (since it's the same source that said after Silverstone that the MP4-31 had rear suspension problems), so I kinda trust it. They are still simulating with the 2016 Honda unit and with a not final aero spec tho.
Okey, if you trust the source that's fine but I still don't buy it.

Paul

I don't know what his expectations regarding pace might be, unless he had driven 2017 Red Bull and Mercedes the day before. With such regulation changes they might be one second in front or one second behind everyone and no-one inside the team would have a clue.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Joseki wrote:I know the source and it's reliable (since it's the same source that said after Silverstone that the MP4-31 had rear suspension problems), so I kinda trust it. They are still simulating with the 2016 Honda unit and with a not final aero spec tho.
If the source is credible then why not giving it here? Also bauc and Paul are correct. What can you know from an early sim test, with completely new regs and no idea what other teams are doing?

Also, the rear suspension thing was quite obvious wasn't it? I think it was well "claimed" from early on. (Monaco for example)

bauc

ALO_Power wrote:
If the source is credible then why not giving it here? Also bauc and Paul are correct. What can you know from an early sim test, with completely new regs and no idea what other teams are doing?

Also, the rear suspension thing was quite obvious wasn't it? I think it was well "claimed" from early on. (Monaco for example)
Exactly true, as there is no reference to compare with.

Joseki
Joseki

I'm just a messenger guys, I'm not saying it's the factual reality for sure at 100%.
Also I don't want to ruin a friendship by spoiling "my source".

hemichromis
hemichromis

Joseki wrote:I'm just a messenger guys, I'm not saying it's the factual reality for sure at 100%.
Yes, if your source is credible give us his name, title and home address!

Thank you for sharing.

Holm86

Joseki wrote:I'm just a messenger guys, I'm not saying it's the factual reality for sure at 100%.
Nobody is ever "just" a messenger. You decided by yourself that the information was credible, and relevant for this forum, since you decided to post it.
For one, a totally new car has different ways to be set up to get the best out of it. Some teams struggle with set up far into the season, so how do you expect at first simulation drive to be perfect? And this isnt just at new car, its a whole new set of regulations. So IF Alonso came out of the simulator, and said he wasnt happy, thats what I would expect. It'll take many hours of simulation and set up changes before the car is somewhat dailed in on Alonsos preferences.