Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

:mrgreen:

I see a G-damper on the end of the diffuser there.... Cheating?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ClarkBT11

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 23:18

They should clamp down on that breech of regulation.

DiogoBrand

That clamp probably acts like McLaren's butterfly suspension to create a region of low pressure around the diffuser and effectively "make the diffuser bigger". It looks like a 3D printed prototype so I'm guessing it's not yet permanent.

Just_a_fan

Mercedes are not the only team making use of the oil burning loophole. Ferrari do it too but, it seems, not as well. They even needed to run a separate tank for it!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CBeck113

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 23:18

That is high tech and the reason why Merc dominated thet past three years! Maybe McLaren will try to make a deal with their attachment supplier, who will then terminate their contract with Mercedes for the following year...

[/sarcasm]
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

F1Krof

So Merc brought a longer shark fin and added a new fin to the outside of the difussor and... that's it? :wtf:
Wroom wroom

aral

Once again this thread is turning into a spate of trolling and attacks. Some posts have been removed or else their trolling comments removed. Please confine your posts to the actual topic.

wesley123

F1Krof wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 13:21
So Merc brought a longer shark fin and added a new fin to the outside of the difussor and... that's it? :wtf:
Yes, what else would you have expected?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

CLKGTR

Especially as Bottas said that upgrades will come after Singapore...

PhillipM

DiogoBrand wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 00:04
That clamp probably acts like McLaren's butterfly suspension to create a region of low pressure around the diffuser and effectively "make the diffuser bigger". It looks like a 3D printed prototype so I'm guessing it's not yet permanent.
No, no, no, you've all got it wrong, this placement is a ruse to get people looking at it - in actual use tommorow the clamp is Turned 90 degree's and clamps the floor to the tarmac - instant downforce, genius!

Phillyred

I've looked through past threads over the last couple of years, but can we narrow down to a specific area of the car why Merc doesn't do well at Singapore?? Suspension? Aero? HAM/BOT/ROS over the years just don't "like" the track?

Fulcrum

I doubt there is one specific attribute that hampers them. Mercedes have openly admitted the car is not designed with Singapore/Monaco or Spa/Monza - i.e. the extreme circuits - in mind.

F1Krof

Phillyred wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 16:28
I've looked through past threads over the last couple of years, but can we narrow down to a specific area of the car why Merc doesn't do well at Singapore?? Suspension? Aero? HAM/BOT/ROS over the years just don't "like" the track?
I believe its the low rake philosophy. Put it together with a long wheel base, it hinders the front grip. Basically the car has too much oversteer in slow speed corners, which Singapore has a lot, especially those 90 degree corners. I'm paraphrazing hHarun Chandok in C4F1 during Fp1.

I think it makes sense, and the fact that Merc haven't brought any update for this track, it looks like they don't think they could do anything about it, so just damage limitation for this race, and then push on the tracks that suit their car more. I heard they'll bring some updates for Malaysia or Japan.
Wroom wroom