Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1Krof

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

banjo789 wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 14:05

The fundamental design of the cars suspension was built around the trick ride height control that was banned pre-season. That left Merc with a low rear ride height that could not be ‘self-levelled’ and so had to be stiffened to maintain diffuser efficiency and remove the threat of ‘choking it’ over undulations in the track. This has handicapped the setup of the car all season as the engineers hands are figuratively tied behind their backs with certain aspects of the setup.
Unless Merc can find another way of managing the suspensions sensitivity to pitch/roll then the W08 could be the last of the low rake Merc’s as they look for alternatives for next year.
This is logical. I think you're probably right when you say so. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense for them to go opposite of the others, even Sauber has more rake, and they thought they could get away with tricky suspension ride management as you say.
Wroom wroom

djones

Hamilton has said the thinks he knows how the issues can be minimized and wants to try something different in Japan.

He said in the last race they were unable to use the downforce. What that means, I'm not sure??

But I suspect they will maybe run high downforce in Japan and sacrifice top speeds. Like Redbull used to do in the glory days.

JasonF1

djones wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 15:35
Hamilton has said the thinks he knows how the issues can be minimized and wants to try something different in Japan.

He said in the last race they were unable to use the downforce. What that means, I'm not sure??

But I suspect they will maybe run high downforce in Japan and sacrifice top speeds. Like Redbull used to do in the glory days.
That would make for an interesting read. Do you have the link of the article where he said that?

Shaddock

djones wrote:

The rear wing used at the last race was a high downforce spec similar to in Singapore. The new aero package that LH didn't run in the race may add a few points of DF so he may be referring to that if they can get the balance right.

djones

JasonF1 wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 17:57
djones wrote:
That would make for an interesting read. Do you have the link of the article where he said that?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13217 ... sepang-woe

wesley123

djones wrote:

Aero sensitivity could be an issue here. You can't use all available downforce if this downforce changes too much through different ride heights, yaw angles etc.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Shaddock

wesley123 wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 19:50
djones wrote:

Aero sensitivity could be an issue here. You can't use all available downforce if this downforce changes too much through different ride heights, yaw angles etc.
I don't believe anyone from Merc has said that they have peaky aero like McLaren had a few years ago. It seems to be that the surface temp of the tyre goes out of range (overheats) although the core temperature of the tyre stays in the operating temperature window and this reduces the grip levels.

Morteza

According to AMuS (I used Google Translate so forgive me if there are mistakes):
-Both Mercedes drivers will run the new aero parts in FP1 at Suzuka.
-According to their wind tunnel numbers the new updates are worth at least a tenth of a second.
-They are worried about the weather prediction, Friday practice sessions are mainly going to be on a wet track, qualifying will be dry, but cool and there will be a significant raise in temperature on Sunday.
-If they're going to have any problem, it's gonna be visible on Saturday (the car has to be prepared for completely different conditions on Sunday). And Suzuka's asphalt surface which is very rough with a lot of grip is going to be problematic as well since their car requires the opposite of that to perform well.
Last edited by Morteza on 05 Oct 2017, 09:43, edited 3 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sevach

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... an-961549/

Hamilton is unsure on what they should run with.

turbof1

Sevach wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 12:31
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... an-961549/

Hamilton is unsure on what they should run with.
So guys I got an off topic report about this. I admit this a rather grey area as it about specific hardware on the car, which is according the topic rules. However, it also handles strategy and (laptime) performance.

So let's focus on hardware difference concerning this particular subject. It is allowed to note if the drivers run a different aero package, and also allowed to discuss the physical differences, but let's stay clear from discussing performance differences. So considering that, this is fine.
#AeroFrodo

OO7
OO7

From those images, the car is running the older diffuser.

ScrewCaptain27

Front upright detail (AMuS):
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian