Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ackzsel

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

GoranF1 wrote:That thing will brake at 350km/h and hit someone in the head.
This is the rare case where it's spelled "break" : )

But you're right and mayby a tether would be nice to have.

roon

Fantastic. They've tried something new on almost all the visible parts of the car. Refreshing to see. Who knows what they've accomplished beneath the skin.

The front suspension is of note, as others have seen. They've raised the upper control arm.

As such, the height-width ratio of the parallelogram becomes less severe, perhaps allowing lighter arms. A higher arm mounting might have some aero benefits, as well. Compare to last year's car.

W07:

W08:

Other angles, details:

matt_s

GoranF1 wrote:That thing will break at 350km/h and hit someone in the head.
I really think they are testing the water with this, and so long as they think they are going to be OK within the regs, something more substantial will emerge later.

roon

bhall II wrote:My guess is that the coat rack is meant to clean up air flow from the cameras mounted to the airbox, because the area it will affect is just about the same size as those cameras. This sort of stuff wouldn't really an issue with higher wings--if it is now.

http://i.imgur.com/6sTNcEi.jpg

Or it's a red herring.

EDIT: pic
It's actually for the street circuits.

Last edited by roon on 23 Feb 2017, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

Goran2812

every single element on this car has been improved from last year, and improved heavilly... with the rumored engine changes that bring even more to the table, I guess we'll be watching merc dominance again... good for them, bad for the sport... :)
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

n_anirudh

13 OCt 2016 onwards
With the exception of the opening described in Article 3.15.3, when viewed from the side, the
car must have bodywork in the area bounded by four lines. One vertical 1330mm forward of
the rear wheel centre line, one horizontal 550mm above the reference plane, one horizontal
925mm above the reference plane and one diagonal which intersects the 925mm horizontal at
a point 1000mm forward of the rear wheel centre line and the 550mm horizontal at a point
lying 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
Before - 29 April 2016
With the exception of the opening described in Article 3.15.3, when viewed from the side, the
car must have bodywork in the area bounded by four lines. One vertical 1330mm forward of
the rear wheel centre line, one horizontal 550mm above the reference plane, one horizontal
925mm above the reference plane and one diagonal which intersects the 925mm horizontal at
a point 1000mm forward of the rear wheel centre line and the 550mm horizontal at a point
lying on the rear wheel centre line.
That 50 mm gap is now free to exploit

PhillipM

A certain person at Williams will be rather red-faced after declaring there were no loopholes in the regulations this year :lol:

mikhak

With regard to the legality of T wing, the main rule to look at is 3.8.4. There is an area between the rear axle and 50mm in front of the rear axle where 3.8.4 does not apply and this is where Mercedes have put their wing. Also notice that the T wing can't have a longer chord because once you have geometry ahead of 50mm it must be within 25mm of the car centre line or else part of the bodywork as single continuous line less than radius 75.

"3.8.4 Any vertical cross section of bodywork normal to the car centre line situated in the volumes defined below must form one tangent continuous curve on its external surface. This tangent continuous curve may not contain any radius less than 75mm :

(e) The volume between 50mm and 175mm forward of the rear wheel centre line, which is more than 25mm from the car centre line and more than 175mm above the reference plane. "

There is also a restriction in where it can be placed heightwise ,see 3.9.6. So it would have to sit above the rear wing in the central 100mm.

"3.9.6 Any horizontal section between 550mm and 600mm above the reference plane, taken through bodywork located rearward of a point lying 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line and less than 100mm from the car centre line, may contain no more than two closed symmetrical sections with a maximum total area of 5000mm². The thickness of each section may not exceed 25mm when measured perpendicular to the car centre line. "

dans79

So what are we going to nickname this thing? The "Beast" is getting a little old.
197 104 103 7

bhall II

dans79 wrote:So what are we going to nickname this thing? The "Beast" is getting a little old.
"Runner-up" has a nice ring to it, don't ya think? :D

Quantum

dans79 wrote:So what are we going to nickname this thing? The "Beast" is getting a little old.
The....Yeast?

"Interplay of triads"

dans79

bhall II wrote:
"Runner-up" has a nice ring to it, don't ya think? :D
Nah, RBR already claimed that one!
197 104 103 7

tomazy

I havn't read all of the coments here, so I dont know if this nice detail was descussed before or not. this nice detail is on the cars rear crash structer, looks like the B787 engine detail.
Hi res image

timbo

matt_s wrote:Do you think this part is to test the water with Charlie and the other teams as the the legality of bodywork in that area?

And the real part would be held back until they can ascertain whether it's going to be legal.
This makes sense. Perhaps they are expecting other teams to exploit this to a greater extend and get this shown to make Charlie react. There is a history of similar devices (x-wings, Sauber "twin towers", Arrows nosecone wing) being banned on safety grounds.

CmdrVOODOO

Sevach wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:Thought about the T fin: isn't it just a way of showing where the old rear wing was? That could be why it's on the shakedown/film car - they're doing something to show how the car has changed with new regs.

I doubt it's so simple as that, though, as this is F1...
I didn't read the rules, but i'm thinking that when the rules to stop mid wings was written they may have neglected this area so high up in the air, what i'm trying to say is, could they have created a legality box in front of the rear wing but didn't bother to write anything about above it?
If there is a loophole, I'd guess it exists because when in the regs they angled the rear wing end plates, they didn't shift the area where this T- wing could exist rearward?