Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JesperA

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

Redragon wrote:
JesperA wrote:
F1Krof wrote:The t-tray is for 360deg camera mounting. Case solved. =D>
Its a good idea to include evidence of your claim to, where is this confirmed, do you have pictures, videos or etc?
I am sorry to say JesperA that if you know how a 360 camera works that t-tray it is the most hideous one to work with, specially in movement. So I can tell you it is not for the 360 camera.
I assumed he ment the T-fin, not the t-tray, since that is what everyone was talking about. And i asked for a confirmation because it seems very unlikely that the T-fin is a camera mount, there is no mounting points for any cameras, it has downforce and a profile with winglets that is fairly unlikely for a camera mount at that position of the car. And if he actually ment t-tray i don't know what he ment with "case solved" because there was no case to begin with ;)

So yeah F1Krof, a clarification of what you ment would be nice

MiamiSilverArrows

This area is an interesting area that I have not seen many discussions about. There appears to be a tunnel below the suspension mounts that allows air to flow into the middle of the car and have a more even airflow over the diffuser of the car.. Kinda like a "blown effect". I've not seen this before and it seems to create a diffuser effect on top of of the floor of the car.

This year will be fun if the speed that the teams brings changes to the cars to stay with the curve stays true.

MiamiSilverArrows wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5WgswdWEAE7fqh.jpg

This area is an interesting area that I have not seen many discussions about. There appears to be a tunnel below the suspension mounts that allows air to flow into the middle of the car and have a more even airflow over the diffuser of the car.. Kinda like a "blown effect". I've not seen this before and it seems to create a diffuser effect on top of of the floor of the car.

This year will be fun if the speed that the teams brings changes to the cars to stay with the curve stays true.
R.S. 17 has that same feature...

I'm very curious to see more of it on both cars and wonder if it is present on others.

YUL-F1

EDIT: sorry read the warning after posting because I hadn't finished reading the entire thread.
mikhak wrote:With regard to the legality of T wing, the main rule to look at is 3.8.4. There is an area between the rear axle and 50mm in front of the rear axle where 3.8.4 does not apply and this is where Mercedes have put their wing. Also notice that the T wing can't have a longer chord because once you have geometry ahead of 50mm it must be within 25mm of the car centre line or else part of the bodywork as single continuous line less than radius 75.

"3.8.4 Any vertical cross section of bodywork normal to the car centre line situated in the volumes defined below must form one tangent continuous curve on its external surface. This tangent continuous curve may not contain any radius less than 75mm :

(e) The volume between 50mm and 175mm forward of the rear wheel centre line, which is more than 25mm from the car centre line and more than 175mm above the reference plane. "

There is also a restriction in where it can be placed heightwise ,see 3.9.6. So it would have to sit above the rear wing in the central 100mm.

"3.9.6 Any horizontal section between 550mm and 600mm above the reference plane, taken through bodywork located rearward of a point lying 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line and less than 100mm from the car centre line, may contain no more than two closed symmetrical sections with a maximum total area of 5000mm². The thickness of each section may not exceed 25mm when measured perpendicular to the car centre line. "
I believe you are precisely correct. Well done!

lio007

Here is the explanation what made the t-fin possible (with a gif of the allowed bodywork-boxes) :
https://twitter.com/6usgus/status/834836367171604480 And here's a tweet from a mclaren aero-guy: https://twitter.com/ivanlda/status/834778844548702209 ... So merc is not the only team that exploit that area.

PlatinumZealot

Someone in the tech regs dept. forgot to subtract 50mm.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

e30ernest

That's a pretty bad blunder from the rules makers if it wasn't intentional. Although, the one on the W08 doesn't look so bad from the rear view. Kinda makes it look like an RC car. :D

Would be interesting to see if we see further development in that area, or if the FIA would clamp down on it early. There doesn't seem much to gain there anyway right?

wesley123

MiamiSilverArrows wrote: This area is an interesting area that I have not seen many discussions about. There appears to be a tunnel below the suspension mounts that allows air to flow into the middle of the car and have a more even airflow over the diffuser of the car.. Kinda like a "blown effect". I've not seen this before and it seems to create a diffuser effect on top of of the floor of the car.
This has been done for many, many years already
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Jef Patat

*deleted* accidental double post
Last edited by Jef Patat on 24 Feb 2017, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jef Patat

lio007 wrote:Here is the explanation what made the t-fin possible (with a gif of the allowed bodywork-boxes) :

https://twitter.com/6usgus/status/834836367171604480

And here's a tweet from a mclaren aero-guy:
https://twitter.com/ivanlda/status/834778844548702209
... So merc is not the only team that exploit that area.
So in theory they could be mounting little wings all over the mount? Like this:

_______
___|___
___|___
___|___
___|___

mikhak

lio007 wrote:Here is the explanation what made the t-fin possible (with a gif of the allowed bodywork-boxes) :

https://twitter.com/6usgus/status/834836367171604480

And here's a tweet from a mclaren aero-guy:
https://twitter.com/ivanlda/status/834778844548702209
... So merc is not the only team that exploit that area.
Article 3.15 does not and never did restrict the T wing. 3.15 just says you must have bodywork in a certain area it doesn't say you can't have bodywork above hence why shark fins are legal. So the change in October to the rules just changes the angle of the diagonal line where there must be bodywork, it made no difference for the T wing and this gif where a legality box suddenly pops up when article 3.15 is changed is incorrect.

The "loophole" for the T wing is more dictated by 3.8.4 which hasn't changed since January 2016.

Jef Patat

The Ferrari has one on top of the sharkfin, for sure not for camera/sensors/...

F1Krof

JesperA wrote:
Redragon wrote:
JesperA wrote: Its a good idea to include evidence of your claim to, where is this confirmed, do you have pictures, videos or etc?
I am sorry to say JesperA that if you know how a 360 camera works that t-tray it is the most hideous one to work with, specially in movement. So I can tell you it is not for the 360 camera.
I assumed he ment the T-fin, not the t-tray, since that is what everyone was talking about. And i asked for a confirmation because it seems very unlikely that the T-fin is a camera mount, there is no mounting points for any cameras, it has downforce and a profile with winglets that is fairly unlikely for a camera mount at that position of the car. And if he actually ment t-tray i don't know what he ment with "case solved" because there was no case to begin with ;)

So yeah F1Krof, a clarification of what you ment would be nice
Obviously I was wrong. My logic followed the 360 car reveal, they had a similar pod for the camera mountings when they did the interview with Toto/Valteri/Hamilton.

But now seeing Ferrari, hmmm there is something to it.
Wroom wroom

F1Krof

This one looks cool! =D>

Wroom wroom

dren

MiamiSilverArrows wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5WgswdWEAE7fqh.jpg

There is no tunnel there. It's just the floor/diffuser, rear crash structure/transmission, and the cooling exhaust bodywork.
Honda!