Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

bhall II wrote:Here's the thing: even though I don't necessarily share his opinion, I can easily understand it. Thus far, and of what we can see, there's not a whole lot on WAldoCosta that we haven't seen before in one guise or another...
Well, as we understand, it is Geoff Willis (Technology Directory) and Mike Elliott (Head of Aerodynamics) who are the aero guys at Mercedes and Aldo (Engineering Director) is more on the other elements of chassis, while Mike Owens is the chief designer. So, I am not sure how appropriate it is to say, Aldo is responsible for the aero philosophy.

CLKGTR

What brings new Mercedes W08 EQ Power +? https://maxf1.net/en/what-brings-new-me ... -eq-power/

Blackout

Blackout

The offset upper front whishbones seem to be a similar concept to the whishbones many teams use... not directly attached to the upright...

PhillipM

I see they still haven't changed the loophole around the camera mountings then, I'm surprised Merc seem to be one of the few still doing it though, unless I need my eyes testing.

bhall II

GPR-A wrote:
bhall II wrote:Here's the thing: even though I don't necessarily share his opinion, I can easily understand it. Thus far, and of what we can see, there's not a whole lot on WAldoCosta that we haven't seen before in one guise or another...
Well, as we understand, it is Geoff Willis (Technology Directory) and Mike Elliott (Head of Aerodynamics) who are the aero guys at Mercedes and Aldo (Engineering Director) is more on the other elements of chassis, while Mike Owens is the chief designer. So, I am not sure how appropriate it is to say, Aldo is responsible for the aero philosophy.
Well, you can say Costa revisited his roots, so to speak, or that everyone else shamelessly copied F2008, in which case I think we should call this car F2008Jr. Your choice.

:D

Jef Patat

Why is that post downvoted? Twice?

turbof1

Jef Patat wrote:Why is that post downvoted? Twice?
Satire and sarcasm are unfathomable for some people, especially on the internet.
#AeroFrodo

roon

tomazy wrote:I havn't read all of the coments here, so I dont know if this nice detail was descussed before or not. this nice detail is on the cars rear crash structer, looks like the B787 engine detail.
Hi res image
http://f1.f-e-n.net/images/f1/2017/2017 ... es_w08.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm18 ... engine.jpg
Good catch.

And guess what? Each scallop corresponds to a row of LEDs. Although that might be coincidental.

dans79

turbof1 wrote:
Satire and sarcasm are unfathomable for some people, especially on the internet.
Sarcasm is for the weak, passive aggressive, and cowards of the world, specially when it comes to hiding behind the anonymity the internet provides.
197 104 103 7

turbof1

dans79 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Sarcasm is for the weak, passive aggressive, and cowards of the world, specially when it comes to hiding behind the anonymity the internet provides.
I disagree, but this is far offtopic.
#AeroFrodo

Tim.Wright

Blackout wrote:The offset upper front whishbones seem to be a similar concept to the whishbones many teams use... not directly attached to the upright...
I'd be very surprised if it's not directly attached to the upright as the regulations outlaw pretty much every layout except a traditional double wishbone. It's likely a tall upright made to deliberatly place the upper ball joint where it is for some reason.

I'm guessing its aero related as they know little about the new tyres (though I might be mistaken there).
Not the engineer at Force India

roon

The W08's rearview mirrors are slightly smaller than the competition's, in plan view. Shaped more like a triangle, than a parallelogram. Also, they are positioned closer to the driver. (Use the steering wheel as a reference point.)

Their rear face is perpendicular to the car's centerline, rather than angled. To achieve that while getting the correct mirror angle, they recessed the mirrors deep into their housings.

Yurasyk

roon wrote:The W08's rearview mirrors are slightly smaller than the competition's, in plan view. Shaped more like a triangle, than a parallelogram. Also, they are positioned closer to the driver. (Use the steering wheel as a reference point.)
Nice catch. Obviously, this position in some way is beneficial aerodynamically, but I guess it's a way less convenient for a driver and probably requires an additional turn of a head.

roon

Tim.Wright wrote:
Blackout wrote:The offset upper front whishbones seem to be a similar concept to the whishbones many teams use... not directly attached to the upright...
I'd be very surprised if it's not directly attached to the upright as the regulations outlaw pretty much every layout except a traditional double wishbone. It's likely a tall upright made to deliberatly place the upper ball joint where it is for some reason.

I'm guessing its aero related as they know little about the new tyres (though I might be mistaken there).
I speculate it has at least two benefits. One is aero, as you say. The other would be structural. A taller parallelogram will expose the control arms to smaller compression and tension loads, correct?

As to whether the upright itself is protruding, I think it is. There are no elastomeric aero-boots surrounding it to accommodate rotation, as exists for the lower wishbone & steering arm, suggesting that it is indeed a rigid extension of the upright.

I posted some additional images here:

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 8&#p675848