Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

I'm surprised that they think it's worth the hassle and the drag. Presumably they want more downforce but is this going to give much?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mr.G

Looking at this picture - how many connector are going into the suspension :wtf: I counted at least 9 connectors...

Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

JonoNic

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 10:09
I'm surprised that they think it's worth the hassle and the drag. Presumably they want more downforce but is this going to give much?
Could it be that the coat hanger wing provide quicker attachment when DRS closes at the end of a straight? I remember there was a mention of this issue a few years back.
Always find the gap then use it.

ScrewCaptain27

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

adrianjordan

The complexity of the aero on this car already amazes me. I can only imagine what it is going to look like by the end of the season.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Fede90
Fede90

ScrewCaptain27

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

ismail1991
ismail1991

Is there a photo of the front wing. I expect new front wing for the oz spec

PhillipM
PhillipM

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 10:09
It's in free air, high up, with a large aspect ratio, and can help turn airflow so you can use slightly more AoA on the rear wing. It's probably a very efficient way of adding downforce, just not a lot.

ripper
ripper

ismail1991 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 12:17
Is there a photo of the front wing. I expect new front wing for the oz spec

source: http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2017/03 ... -lala.html

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

That wing above the bargeboard area looks huge. Has it always been thus?

dren

bonjon1979 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 13:24
That wing above the bargeboard area looks huge. Has it always been thus?
Yes, there's been a big 'whisker' wing there since launch.
Honda!

djones
djones

The detail work on this car, compared to all the other cars, looks about 6 months ahead.

Not just small things, I personally consider the sidepod opening (reduction) quite a big one really as its not just areo, but about cooling.

Given they will still have the best engine (even if its not as far ahead now), you have to wonder how this car is not going to be 1 second faster than anything, come Q3.

Huntresa
Huntresa

djones wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 15:24
The detail work on this car, compared to all the other cars, looks about 6 months ahead.

Not just small things, I personally consider the sidepod opening (reduction) quite a big one really as its not just areo, but about cooling.

Given they will still have the best engine (even if its not as far ahead now), you have to wonder how this car is not going to be 1 second faster than anything, come Q3.
There isnt really anything special about the Merc. The Ferrari has alot more detail and more exciting/bold aero work on their car. But we can sit here and think we know stuff, come saturday we will know outright speed.

Santozini
Santozini

djones wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 15:24

Care to elaborate a bit more? How does the detail on this care look like it is 6 months ahead? I would agree if compared to midfield cars, but Ferrari for example has a pretty detailed and refined car, same for RB, even though with a different approach.

It's incredible how people just assume everything Merc presents is out of this world, and the rest of the teams are just lost...