Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

F1Krof wrote:
11 May 2017, 15:59

So, it seems like an evolution of the batwing and the t-tray. More like a mix of two.
Having seen this photo, I'm inclined to agree with you. It shows a smaller rear end device than I first thought from pictures taken from the front.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vanja #66

SR71 wrote:
12 May 2017, 06:40
I'm no stranger to making counterintuitive statements here on F1T, so here goes my latest :-)
Again, not saying it's a dirty air solution - my gut just tells me they handle dirty air better than most commentators first impressions.
It is counter intuitive, but here's my view on why. In dirty air you don't loose vortices, they just don't work as expected (their strength decreases) so when you have 15 of them (as you say) all 15 of them will suffer. Some more, some less, but all will suffer. It's not like 3 will fail to work and others will be OK...

In that sense, for me, this is Mercedes trying to get back their previous full advantage in qualy and their previous full advantage in first laps of the race. That's how they dominated previous 3 seasons and it makes much more sense to try and achieve that again than going into the unknown and develop the car to be less sensitive to dirty air...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

adrianjordan

Would this be similar in effect to the "snowplough" on the McLaren MP4-27??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

OO7
OO7

The device looks like it may have a splitter like function. Looking at the picture above, I see comparisons to the cars coke bottle and diffuser (not so stay it actually functions as such. Not so much the diffuser aspect anyway). The curvature of the underside may serve to reduce pressure when tied to the 'diffuser like' rear edge. The leading edges of the vanes look like they may shed a vortex or vortices that are deflected downwards by the nose camera mounting vanes, where they are likely to interact with the bargeboards. These vortices in conjunction with coke bottle sweep-in, may encourage more air to flow around the side of the nose and then under the monocoque.

It also looks like there may be a Red Bull inspired duct near the upper trailing edge of this splitter like element show below:

Mercedes may also have a cover for this duct:

diego.liv

In front of the rear tyres Image

This package was rumoured to be worth around 4/10s on a track like Spain. Given that 10 kilos are worth circa 3/10s of lap times, 6 kilos should be around 0.2s. I understand that you can't gain that much with aero appendages, but all this work by Merc gives 'only' 0.2-0.25s??

wesley123

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 May 2017, 02:43
Ok. No im confused... What the actual hell is that thing?

It splits the air up top... Flattens the air below... While functioning as a guide vane and a vortex generator?!

It appears to create lift on it's trailng edge but i can bet it doesn't? Or maybe it does but the net benefit downstream makes up for it?!! Aw shucks someone put this thing in CFD!
I imagine it sends quite a strong vortex towards the floor. The 'issue' with this is that it isn't an area between two panels anymore, and in that sense it doesn't 'shield' air under the chassis from possible influence from the tire.

What we also have seen from flow vis is that it is desired that air is directed down before the sidepod intake, and that airflow over the sidepod is undesired. This vane seems to try to achieve that far further forwards.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Sevach

To me this looks like the snow plow Mclaren and Williams used to run, it's a little different now due to low noses.

atanatizante

Blaze1 wrote:
12 May 2017, 09:06

These vortices in conjunction with coke bottle sweep-in, may encourage more air to flow around the side of the nose and then under the monocoque.
This snowplow has at least 2 functions: one is to generates DF at the front axle (coz I didn`t saw any updates to the FW and increasing the AoA could rob them useful airflow that is needed at the back of the car ) and the other one is to channel this clean airflow towards the hole in floor (see the picture) which is acting like a vortex generator, in order to make a strong vortex going to the back of the car and acting like a tyre skirt ...

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

ChrisDanger

Another interesting one... (Top of front suspension element.)

dans79

ChrisDanger wrote:
12 May 2017, 11:37
Another interesting one...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_jHsotXoAIZPkE.jpg
They are really pushing the limit of the moveable aero regulations with that one.
197 104 103 7

Thunder

There has been a winglet from Day one.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

diego.liv

Thunders wrote:
12 May 2017, 11:46
There has been a winglet from Day one.
Now it is a two-elements piece

Thunder

True, my comment was more for the People that thought it was something completely new.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

AnotherAlex

dans79 wrote:
12 May 2017, 11:40
ChrisDanger wrote:
12 May 2017, 11:37
Another interesting one...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_jHsotXoAIZPkE.jpg
They are really pushing the limit of the moveable aero regulations with that one.
Presumably that winglet is part of the ducting for the braking system ( :lol: ) otherwise I would have expected it to fall foul of the regulation stating that bodywork influencing aerodynamic performance must be mounted on the sprung part of the car (Article 3.8, b):
3.8 Aerodynamic influence
With the exception of the ducts described in Article 11.4, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance:
a) Must comply with the rules relating to bodywork.
b) Must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom).

Unc1eM0nty

Are these fins any different ot the strakes we see on all the rear wheels though ?

http://www.newsf1.it/wp-content/uploads ... t_wing.jpg