Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hollus

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

Maybe that thing is just wide enough to give the Y250 vortex an initial push to the side?
In that case, the way that vortex rotates, it becomes "the thing's skirt" and we might indeed have a front diffuser of sorts.

Last edited by hollus on 12 May 2017, 15:32, edited 2 times in total.
Rivals, not enemies.

digitalrurouni

So other than all the appendages and weight reduction is the wheelbase still the same on the Merc?

DVB

The wheelbase is still the same. Mercedes said it's too early to change that stuff after only 4 races.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

digitalrurouni

DVB wrote:
12 May 2017, 15:36
The wheelbase is still the same. Mercedes said it's too early to change that stuff after only 4 races.
Thanks! Yeah I figured just as much. Looking at the performance of the car across the FP sessions seems their upgrade package is producing the right results. But this is just one track. What a hefty upgrade they have brought! Crazy! Loving this season!

BrunoH

So. like i said before no way they were taking out 10 kilos.. according to TOTO talking to TED on Sky... they managed to cut 3 kilos...with the updates, and that is like i stated before, a lot in F1

dans79

AnotherAlex wrote:
12 May 2017, 12:39
Presumably that winglet is part of the ducting for the braking system ( :lol: ) otherwise I would have expected it to fall foul of the regulation stating that bodywork influencing aerodynamic performance must be mounted on the sprung part of the car (Article 3.8, b):
That's what I was indirectly hinting at. If I was an FIA inspector, Mercedes would have a hard time convincing me that's brakes related.
197 104 103 7

SR71

Vanja #66 wrote:
12 May 2017, 08:05
SR71 wrote:
12 May 2017, 06:40
I'm no stranger to making counterintuitive statements here on F1T, so here goes my latest :-)
Again, not saying it's a dirty air solution - my gut just tells me they handle dirty air better than most commentators first impressions.
It is counter intuitive, but here's my view on why. In dirty air you don't loose vortices, they just don't work as expected (their strength decreases) so when you have 15 of them (as you say) all 15 of them will suffer. Some more, some less, but all will suffer. It's not like 3 will fail to work and others will be OK...

In that sense, for me, this is Mercedes trying to get back their previous full advantage in qualy and their previous full advantage in first laps of the race. That's how they dominated previous 3 seasons and it makes much more sense to try and achieve that again than going into the unknown and develop the car to be less sensitive to dirty air...
Agree of course that they will not develop a car to be less sensitive to dirty air on purpose. I feel it is a knock on effect of this biological theme.

Additionally, it's not the sheer number of points creating or stimulating vertices, but the distance between them that I believe makes them less susceptible to dirty air.

In my opinion they carry each-other better, one will pick up where another looses efficacy. They all may loose a bit in dirty air but it will be fractional compared to the loss 3 points would lose.

One
One

I got this guts feeling that this works like a double diffuser on nose.

Let me call new device the scoop.
Under the nose in front of the scoop I see cuts.
The center part of the scoop has shape resembles to a funnel.
The scoop might be sucking the air from the bottom and blowing upper body via S Duct.
Blaze1 wrote:
12 May 2017, 09:06
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_jNvDAXUAAXqWN.jpg
The device looks like it may have a splitter like function. Looking at the picture above, I see comparisons to the cars coke bottle and diffuser (not so stay it actually functions as such. Not so much the diffuser aspect anyway). The curvature of the underside may serve to reduce pressure when tied to the 'diffuser like' rear edge. The leading edges of the vanes look like they may shed a vortex or vortices that are deflected downwards by the nose camera mounting vanes, where they are likely to interact with the bargeboards. These vortices in conjunction with coke bottle sweep-in, may encourage more air to flow around the side of the nose and then under the monocoque.

It also looks like there may be a Red Bull inspired duct near the upper trailing edge of this splitter like element show below:
http://i.imgur.com/fThgoAK.png

Mercedes may also have a cover for this duct:
http://i.imgur.com/iKuuz37.png

aral

Once again a number of posts have been removed as they were discussing possible performance at the Monaco GP. This thread is about actual technical parts allayed to the W08, so please stay on topic. Discussion about Monaco should be on the Monaco GP thread or in the team thread.

LookBackTime

Detail of the double-entry of the S-Duct of the Mercedes (via @F1icom)

F1NAC

Mercedes floor

mantikos

F1NAC wrote:
17 May 2017, 18:34
Mercedes floor
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DACqoDQXYAA1dYm.jpg:240x240
Do you have a smaller thumbnail? /s

Also, pretty cool to hear Toto confirm that following in turbulent air was a known weakness and this update addresses that

edxferrari

i guess this is better ?

LookBackTime