Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

I guess the slot (just in front of the "diffuser" is the ride height referencing system's window. Used to be in the bat wing (or thereabouts) but I guess there's no room anymore.

That is one complicated-looking aero package...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vanja #66

VGs on floor leading edge... That detail is definitely for better performance in dirty air... That many slots in barge board area is a draggy solution, but the shear number of them on horizontal surfaces adds up to a considerable number of points of downforce.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 May 2017, 08:20
VGs on floor leading edge... That detail is definitely for better performance in dirty air... That many slots in barge board area is a draggy solution, but the shear number of them on horizontal surfaces adds up to a considerable number of points of downforce.
I thought the same about drag in terms of the sheer volume of bodywork around bargeboard (which I think still speaks to a significant PU advantage when compared to relative sparseness of Ferrari and Red Bull).

Can you explain about the vortex generators helping in dirty air? Interested to understand more.

f1316
f1316

Another interesting thing about the cape/scoop is that it works in combination with a very slim nose. Toro Rosso could go in this direction but most others have a very different concept.

The Ferrari nose in particular is very wide and flat - likely to generate its own downforce to some degree - so I doubt this kind of 'cape' solution would work with the rest of their concept (it would be a major change - with lots of downstream effect - to suddenly have a slim nose).

The more the design philosophies diverge, the more interesting I find it to see which, if any, run out of steam first; wonder if everyone will converge on the same concepts next year.

Vanja #66

f1316 wrote:
18 May 2017, 08:48
Can you explain about the vortex generators helping in dirty air? Interested to understand more.
Those vortices will form easily and due to the aggressive curve they will remain "alive" even in big yaw or turbulent air. As you have compression in front of the floor, all the turbulence will be compressed as well a bit before it reaches them... That is, of course, under assumption that any significant turbulence reaches that area with all those barge board elements in front of it...

It would make sense to me that "cape" is there to collect the clean air in front of the car and direct it under the nose towards the floor. This is what RB is probably doing with those fences instead of turning vanes under their nose, that are making a continuous tunnel combined with barge boards... But Merc is obviously doing it in a different way (if that's what they are doing). Ferrari has a completely different concept to both these teams, so their solution makes a different problem for them - other concepts probably won't work (or won't work as well as it should) with their side pod wings...

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

diego.liv
diego.liv

http://www.formulapassion.it/2017/05/f1 ... o-5-chili/

Wolff: "We tried to increase aero efficiency and lower the weight, but it was not around 5 less kilos...It's difficult to make big gains in F1, it's more about small steps. We are working with grams rather than kilos"

theriusDR3
theriusDR3

is Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +'s engine exhaust uses Remus exhaust?

F1Krof

Long Wheel-Base, question is will it really hurt the performance in Monaco and why? Can somebody clarify?
Wroom wroom

Morteza

F1Krof wrote:
24 May 2017, 13:13
Long Wheel-Base, question is will it really hurt the performance in Monaco and why? Can somebody clarify?
Here's what Bottas thinks:
Asked by Motorsport.com if the team was braced for a tougher time in Monaco because of its long wheelbase, Bottas said: “No, I think here we have shown strong performance in the last sector [in Spain].

“That is all about slow speed corners and corner sequences, which is all about Monaco, so I think we have all the chances to be very strong there.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

adrianjordan

F1Krof wrote:
24 May 2017, 13:13
Didn't one of the teams have a Monaco specific front suspension geometry that moved the front wheels back to effectively give a one off shortened wheelbase?

Assuming I didn't imagine that, could Merc do likewise this year??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

F1Krof

I think it was Lotus who did a stunt like this in 2012 in Kimi's car if I'm not mistaken.
Wroom wroom

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

shady
shady

That 'scoop', looks like it would create lift, the front edge is angled so high, that the low pressure would be behind the leading edge onto the rest of the plank. I would LOVE to see a CFD of this car.. i think most people on this board would because it appears from a laymen coutnerintuitive.

e: but its not wide.. so a vortex could be generated or more the likely assumption being that itd help the Y250 come up higher on the chassis into that LP area that the leading edge creates..

zioture
zioture

Vanja #66

A question for fellow enthusiasts - would you agree that separate/isolated CFD of Merc super-ted-cape could give us an answer to its general function?

I'm very interested in this and I think it could show us a general trend even isolated (center section of the wing, nose cone and the cape). If not, I would be willing to spend a few more days after initial CFD to try and make and adequate model of its surrounding...

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie