Williams FW40 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LookBackTime

Re: Williams FW40 Mercedes

LookBackTime

Sevach

LookBackTime

Craig Scarborough‏ @ScarbsTech
Williams new rear wing run in Russia

edu2703

I always wanted the Williams car to have an aggressive design, full of aerodynamic devices like Mercedes and Ferrari cars.

Although the design is not directly proportional to performance, it's a little disappointing to see a car with a very basic design and the lack of significant updates throughout the season.

F1Krof

edu2703 wrote:
11 May 2017, 16:24
I always wanted the Williams car to have an aggressive design, full of aerodynamic devices like Mercedes and Ferrari cars.

Although the design is not directly proportional to performance, it's a little disappointing to see a car with a very basic design and the lack of significant updates throughout the season.
Basic Prima Vista, howver lest not forget, its the fastest car after big trio, its even closer to Red Bull in qualifying. So, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the complexity of the shapes, its rather how the car works as a whole, what airflow patterns it generates as a whole rather than looking local pieces.
Wroom wroom

atheonr

So are there any new visible upgrades except the new shark fin?

tomazy

Shark fin now connects to the rear wing support, but this does go in to new shark fin category.

LookBackTime

..."Massa says Williams has brought a big package of updates to Barcelona, but concedes that it's impossible to tell how it will impact the team's form relative to the opposition.

"We have different aerodynamic parts, so a little bit in the bodywork, and some parts around the car like brake ducts, some different upgrades in different areas of the car. How good it will be is impossible to answer now.

"It's quite a reasonable step, but you never know what the others are bringing. But for sure what we're bringing here, in the last years, maybe we'd bring after five months. It's definitely a completely different picture.

"For sure you have the new rules, and with the rules we have now the car will improve a lot more from the first race to the last race, but I think it's not just the rules, I think the working method is a lot better."

Massa doesn't expect to see the raft of upgrades elsewhere make any change to the picture at the front of the grid."...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mass ... 17-904250/

LookBackTime

Take this info with a grain of salt !!! It is from a user who "has some inside info" :lol:

"B spec car will be tested in Hungary. There are some smaller updates coming for Barcelona and Monaco."

tomazy

LookBackTime wrote:
11 May 2017, 18:04
Take this info with a grain of salt !!! It is from a user who "has some inside info" :lol:

"B spec car will be tested in Hungary. There are some smaller updates coming for Barcelona and Monaco."
But then again, why would he lie and make this up? Hungary does seem the right time frame for the first update of the new people, Dirk de Beer and Paddy Lowe.

LookBackTime

LookBackTime wrote:

More news:

"not sure how much of the b spec is coming from Dirk but the changes I am aware of will be around the rear suspension (getting to where we were couple of years ago) and new gearbox. there must be more to what I mentioned but that's all I've got for now."

"The new gearbox was apparently planned for next year but suspension change is directly linked to gearbox which forced the team to change it this year. Let's just hope it works!"

Sevach

tomazy wrote:
11 May 2017, 17:10
Shark fin now connects to the rear wing support, but this does go in to new shark fin category.
I think Barcelona is the race where T-Wings (and by extension shark fins) will start getting flex tests.
LookBackTime wrote:
11 May 2017, 23:16

"not sure how much of the b spec is coming from Dirk but the changes I am aware of will be around the rear suspension (getting to where we were couple of years ago) and new gearbox. there must be more to what I mentioned but that's all I've got for now."

"The new gearbox was apparently planned for next year but suspension change is directly linked to gearbox which forced the team to change it this year. Let's just hope it works!"
I don't understand this part, "getting to where we were couple of years ago", is there some more context to it?

LookBackTime

"I don't understand this part, "getting to where we were couple of years ago", is there some more context to it?"

I guess he was referring to glory days of Williams!

Mr Brooksy

LookBackTime wrote:
11 May 2017, 23:16
LookBackTime wrote:

More news:

Maybe they are referring to the super small gearbox concept that they ran before the Hybrid era? That's the only thing that I would want to bring back from the previous gen Williams cars.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989