Williams FW40 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LookBackTime

Re: Williams FW40 Mercedes

Alberto Rodríguez‏ @Albrodpul

Mr Brooksy

I don't know if this is relevant to Williams tyre heating issues, but from the photos here and elsewhere, Williams seems to be the only team (compared to McLaren, Ferrari, Merc and RBR) that consistently run a large plate like cooling duct. Everyone else uses various inlet tunnels. I wonder if this could be a cause for the tyre warm up issues Williams have been plagued with for years.

Anyone out there understand why Williams concept is so different to others?
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

bill shoe

Mr Brooksy wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 03:40
I don't know if this is relevant to Williams tyre heating issues, but from the photos here and elsewhere, Williams seems to be the only team (compared to McLaren, Ferrari, Merc and RBR) that consistently run a large plate like cooling duct.
You mean the front brake cooling duct on the inside of the tire?

LookBackTime

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/884750181559926794 https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/8 ... 8481538050
Now it is clear why Paddy Lowe wants the new gearbox and the new hydraulic rear suspension.

In summary:

- five teams have rear hydraulic suspension: Mercedes, Ferrari - not, McLaren, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Force India.
- all of the teams with hydraulic suspensions preheated the oil in the hydraulic actuators (before the Sunday race - under Parc fermé conditions)
- FIA has banned this practice starting with the GP Azerbaijan

- there are artifices that can not be forbidden.
- no action against accidental heating an FIA man confirmed to AMuS that such a practice would not be punishable: "We can not prescribe anyone where he builds his suspension components and what is in their environment. Theoretically, one could also alienate an exhaust manifold for heating. We can only intervene if the warm-up happens in an unnatural way."
- there is only one way to make these grey zone out of the world. Hydraulic suspensions to be forbidden. That would go for 2018 only with unanimity. But 2019 is already on the agenda.
Last edited by LookBackTime on 11 Jul 2017, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Brooksy

bill shoe wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 06:55
Mr Brooksy wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 03:40
I don't know if this is relevant to Williams tyre heating issues, but from the photos here and elsewhere, Williams seems to be the only team (compared to McLaren, Ferrari, Merc and RBR) that consistently run a large plate like cooling duct.
You mean the front brake cooling duct on the inside of the tire?
Yes. Sorry.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Sushant008

five teams have rear hydraulic suspension: Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull, Toro Rosso
AMuS website says that it's Force India not Ferrari. Makes sense as FI uses the same Merc gearbox and an identical rear suspension. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

LookBackTime

Sushant008 wrote:
11 Jul 2017, 18:50
five teams have rear hydraulic suspension: Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull, Toro Rosso
AMuS website says that it's Force India not Ferrari. Makes sense as FI uses the same Merc gearbox and an identical rear suspension. Correct me if i'm wrong though.
Correct: it is Force India.
Sorry, my mistake!

F1NAC

And yet they git away with it. Especially merc who has that inovative and clever package. So there is an upper hand

LookBackTime

Albert Fabrega ES‏ @AlbertFabrega
Williams con diferente configuración aero en direccionadores d pontones. Stroll con la nueva especificación. Ambos con nuevos bargeboards

Williams with different aero settings. Stroll with the new specification. Both with new bargeboards.

godlameroso

That looks like a SiC paste.
Saishū kōnā

SchuMassa

The new front wing is on Massa's car.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

LookBackTime