Force India VJM10 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
McMrocks

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Samraj_official wrote:
McMrocks wrote:An Article from AMuS quoting Bob Fernley and Andy Green

Things they actually said:
-Bob Fernley: Ferrari is 1.5 sec faster on the long runs
Williams is faster too but they expect to catch up during the season

-Andy Green: car is 10Kg too heavy
Merc engine got heavier
Merc gearbox got heavier ("12cm longer" plus changes to pass the rear crash test)
Windtunnel data does not corellate 100% to the track data

Things the article says without quoting somebody
-Force India will not do Qualification runs in Barcelona
- Force India struggles with cracks in the exhaust tail pipes
- Merc gearbox's rear section is very high and requires the rear wing pylon going through the exhaust
-they plan to tighten the sidepods (as they dont need that much cooling)

My opinion: From the picture it looks like the gear box housing isnt that high
so does that mean force india weighs 738kg rather than 728kg???? and the car looks sluggish in the corners too!!!!! Bad way to start the season.

i also thought the track correlation data would be great since they started using 60% TMG Windtunnel.
Stop sorry, That was wrong on my part. Should have said it more precisely. They planned to carry 10Kg ballast for balancing the car. That has been reduced by the approximately 10KG heavier Merv drive train. They told the drivers to lose 2Kg until Melbourne

Pierce89

Samraj_official wrote:

Merc engine got heavier
Merc gearbox got heavier ("12cm longer" plus changes to pass the rear crash test)

- Merc gearbox's rear section is very high and requires the rear wing pylon going through the exhaust

so does that mean force india weighs 738kg rather than 728kg???? and the car looks sluggish in the corners too!!!!! Bad way to start the season.

i also thought the track correlation data would be great since they started using 60% TMG Windtunnel.
While the TMG tunnels have all the bells and whistles(PIV etc) I've yet to see any great f1 work done there. When Ferrari shut down their tunnel for remodeling and went to TMG, their correlation didn't really seem to improve at all.

For whatever reason, only Toyota seems to be get the best out of it, other teams dont seem to be able to. It makes me wonder if Toyota has developed " fudge factors" from years of use, and maybe they consider it IP they're just not willing to share.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Samraj_official

how does the increased weight in Merc Powertrain doesn't come as a problem to the Factory team and Williams??

also the car looks too bulky they need to shave the fat out of those sidepods,they probably need another VJM08B like car in the middle of the season to turn things around.

Samraj_official

While the TMG tunnels have all the bells and whistles(PIV etc) I've yet to see any great f1 work done there. When Ferrari shut down their tunnel for remodeling and went to TMG, their correlation didn't really seem to improve at all.

For whatever reason, only Toyota seems to be get the best out of it, other teams dont seem to be able to. It makes me wonder if Toyota has developed " fudge factors" from years of use, and maybe they consider it IP they're just not willing to share.[/quote]

off topic: Yes the TMG Windtunnel confuses me a lot,its the most advanced Windtunnel ever in the world,but i am yet to see a successful competitive racing machine to come out of there

Also if those insignificant "Fudge factors" do exist,it does mean the Windtunnel is imperfect in the first place

IamLegend

Drica wrote:

Merc engine got heavier

That long run pace difference is pretty horrible, there must be something pretty wrong with the car, apart from the oversized sidepods, too much cooling and exhaust cracks. But yet again, in past two seasons, FI are always a bit on the back foot in first couple of races and then they really start showing some good qualities... Its a shame really...
Where are you seeing this data? Can you post some links, that'll be helpful.

Like the Amus article says, SFi isn't focusing on Quali lap setup or pace, so with that being said, in the second leg of testing, they have been able to get the mileage under their belt which is very reassuring and Ocon today doing a 1:20:161 lap with the Ultra Soft just gives me so much more confidence in the team that their package will be more effective by Bahrain once they lose the 10 kgs.

Sidhartha.techie

So According to the article, first big update will come in Bahrain, Which will be the shrinked sidepods, along with other things(don't know what exactly, probably for the back of the car considering the rear is not yet stable
), but they will be able to fix the exhaust pipe problem in Melbourne. Considering that the drivers will lose weight and hence the car will have more room to find balance, they should be able to extract more pace.
Last edited by Sidhartha.techie on 09 Mar 2017, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

IamLegend

Sidhartha.techie wrote:So According to the article, first big update will come in Bahrain, Which will be the shrinked sidepods, along with other things(don't know what exactly), but they will be able to fix the exhaust pipe problem in Melbourne. Considering that the drivers will lose weight and hence the car will have more room to find balance, they should be able to extract more pace.

Spot on! =D>

Thunder

Ok i had to do a little Cleanup here. This Thread is about the technical Aspects of the Car, not about Laptimes in Testing and how they are achieved.

Testing Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=1&p=682934#p682934
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

MercAMGF1Fans

best shot of the FIndia backend .. from turn 10..

Sidhartha.techie

Pictures from Today

"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

ScrewCaptain27

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Sonador

Shorter nose?

Or do my eyes play tricks on me?

ScrewCaptain27

Sonador wrote:Shorter nose?

Or do my eyes play tricks on me?
Looks the same length to me, it's just the new livery.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

RicME85

Yeah the new paint scheme on the nose has shrunk the appearance of the finger section of the nose. The way it was painted before made it more prominent

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.