Force India VJM10 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ClarkBT11

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Austrian GP Wednesday via AMUS

Looks like Force India have brought two different wings to Austria.

godlameroso

Makes sense, probably evaluating where they make up more time, sector 1 or 3.
Saishū kōnā

ClarkBT11

godlameroso wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 22:28
Makes sense, probably evaluating where they make up more time, sector 1 or 3.
Would the bottom wing be less sensitive behind traffic given the bigger and less split wing sections?

PhillipM
PhillipM

It would be more sensitive if anything, given similar setup.

ClarkBT11

PhillipM wrote:
05 Jul 2017, 23:06
It would be more sensitive if anything, given similar setup.
On Ferrari's​ 1st front wing 1st element was deep then got split into two elements. I read the split would have given better overall downforce but more sensitive to dirty air. Could you explain why it's wrong?

Cheers

godlameroso

Fewer and larger elements are more sensitive because they depend on laminar flow over a greater surface area. Smaller but more numerous elements are less sensitive because each element requires less laminar flow per area to affect the surface.

That's why birds have many small feathers with further divisions instead of just a few large fixed ones.

If you want to learn about aerodynamics, you have to consult the best of the best, no one has more experience with flight than someone that was built by nature to do it. Either that or a real bird brain, hell I wouldn't be surprised if Newey has a falcon or two. :P
Saishū kōnā

ClarkBT11

Thanks, l should know better than to listen to Gary Anderson. They make you pay to read that to. :lol:

Sevach
Sevach

Sushant008
Sushant008

Some new fins-

Airflow sensor on the floor-

Front and rear tire temperature cameras-

Front wing details-

Some more pics-

All thanks to ScarbsTech and AlbertFabrega twitter feed.

ScrewCaptain27

Underside of the nose and FW (AMuS):
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Sushant008
Sushant008

Force India to bring biggest update of the season to Silverstone.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/forc ... ne-929019/

trinidefender
trinidefender

godlameroso wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 00:11
Fewer and larger elements are more sensitive because they depend on laminar flow over a greater surface area. Smaller but more numerous elements are less sensitive because each element requires less laminar flow per area to affect the surface.

That's why birds have many small feathers with further divisions instead of just a few large fixed ones.

If you want to learn about aerodynamics, you have to consult the best of the best, no one has more experience with flight than someone that was built by nature to do it. Either that or a real bird brain, hell I wouldn't be surprised if Newey has a falcon or two. :P
No, just no. Most wings, especially those in F1 are not subject to laminar flow at all.

Wing elements stalling is a result of a decreasing pressure gradient that is too high. Wings with smaller but more numerous elements at the same AoA will stall later because the slots allow airflow to move to the low pressure side of the wing. This reduces the pressure gradient.

Do some more research on laminar flow.

godlameroso

trinidefender wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 20:53
godlameroso wrote:

No, just no. Most wings, especially those in F1 are not subject to laminar flow at all.

Wing elements stalling is a result of a decreasing pressure gradient that is too high. Wings with smaller but more numerous elements at the same AoA will stall later because the slots allow airflow to move to the low pressure side of the wing. This reduces the pressure gradient.

I guess they work in a vacuum.

Furthemore numerous elements shed vortecies which straighten out subsequent flows, which indeed makes the macro wing less sensitive.
Saishū kōnā

trinidefender
trinidefender

godlameroso wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 23:00
trinidefender wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 20:53
godlameroso wrote:

I guess they work in a vacuum.
A vacuum? What are you talking about?

Most wings use in aviation do not have laminar flow aver the whole chord of the wing. Dirt, rough paint, bugs and pretty much every other imperfection is enough to trip the flow. So much so that people have the misconception that the P-51 mustang wings had complete laminar flow. While that was a design goal, it was discovered that, with the wings being new and clean, the designers achieved laminar flow over approximately 40-50% of the chord of the wing (can't remember the exact numbers from the study and can't be bothered to find it). The rest of the flow is turbulent.

No multiple element wing has anything close to laminar flow on anything other than the first part of the chord of the first element.

godlameroso

You're right, and I'm sorry because I can't take it back. I meant to say boundary layer, I apologize.
Saishū kōnā