Sauber C36 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Manoah2u

Re: Sauber C36 Ferrari

to be honest, i think it's not as 'sophisticated' as you guys are giving it credits for.

I think the 'richer' paintscheme is doing the car more good, the cheap blue and yellow colors of last year would
have made the car look much more basic.

frankly, most of the car is similar to last years design, which was rather underdeveloped. the sidepods have changed
significantly, but then i'm not sure that 'brick wall' below the intake is so positive.

i remember RB trying to get the 'fins' banned for this year, because it would be a decent help/aid
for teams with less stable aerodynamics to 'stabilise' airflow towards the back. it got wiped off the table, so the
sharkfin is present, and here we have a absolute gigantuan sharkfin (which looks absolutely horrendous too), suggesting
airflow isn't that 'sophisticated'. The airbox is an outdated mercedes and caterham design which both teams realised were not 'helpful'.

Let's see what the 'big boys' (and i'd include Force India there) will turn up with. The Williams 'reveal' is a really basic render so i don't think it makes any sense making any comparison there. I think what Sauber shows here is what it really is.

And then, it's all fun and games, but their 1st driver is still Captain Slow Marcus "chicken-collision" Ericsson,
and their 2nd driver is injured from a ROC race in a 3-wheeler that nobody in Force India or Mercedes themselves wanted, and in the meantime they have a Ferrari 3rd driver that will do the test for Wehrlein - despite his injury, THE person that has aquired most worthwile information and feeling and experience from top-team Mercedes, and has also seen the worse end in the form of Manor.

Sauber also "already" having the car ready suggest they have 'lost' a week worth of developing too, but thats more speculation.

It looks more advanced then last years car, yes. But really, it couldnt get much worse too, especially with that basic livery, AND the fact longbow finance probably has thrown a couple of million of dollars or swiss franks their direction, and they're cashing in some stashed BdB and Nasr and Ericsson money.

If i had to do a wild suggestion, this is what they have bashed out of their computer for the next 3-4 years untill they find another money-slinging-victim to 'make it through' for another couple of years.

negative view? yes, definately.
but the livery is quite enjoyable atleast.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Eddie_Temple

Manoah2u wrote:to be honest, i think it's not as 'sophisticated' as you guys are giving it credits for.

I think the 'richer' paintscheme is doing the car more good, the cheap blue and yellow colors of last year would
have made the car look much more basic.

frankly, most of the car is similar to last years design, which was rather underdeveloped. the sidepods have changed
significantly, but then i'm not sure that 'brick wall' below the intake is so positive.

i remember RB trying to get the 'fins' banned for this year, because it would be a decent help/aid
for teams with less stable aerodynamics to 'stabilise' airflow towards the back. it got wiped off the table, so the
sharkfin is present, and here we have a absolute gigantuan sharkfin (which looks absolutely horrendous too), suggesting
airflow isn't that 'sophisticated'. The airbox is an outdated mercedes and caterham design which both teams realised were not 'helpful'.

Let's see what the 'big boys' (and i'd include Force India there) will turn up with. The Williams 'reveal' is a really basic render so i don't think it makes any sense making any comparison there. I think what Sauber shows here is what it really is.

And then, it's all fun and games, but their 1st driver is still Captain Slow Marcus "chicken-collision" Ericsson,
and their 2nd driver is injured from a ROC race in a 3-wheeler that nobody in Force India or Mercedes themselves wanted, and in the meantime they have a Ferrari 3rd driver that will do the test for Wehrlein - despite his injury, THE person that has aquired most worthwile information and feeling and experience from top-team Mercedes, and has also seen the worse end in the form of Manor.

Sauber also "already" having the car ready suggest they have 'lost' a week worth of developing too, but thats more speculation.

It looks more advanced then last years car, yes. But really, it couldnt get much worse too, especially with that basic livery, AND the fact longbow finance probably has thrown a couple of million of dollars or swiss franks their direction, and they're cashing in some stashed BdB and Nasr and Ericsson money.

If i had to do a wild suggestion, this is what they have bashed out of their computer for the next 3-4 years untill they find another money-slinging-victim to 'make it through' for another couple of years.

negative view? yes, definately.
but the livery is quite enjoyable atleast.
You're really going out on a limb stating 1) sauber doesnt have as sophisticated car as top teams 2) their drivers are a bit rough around the edges. Brave view my friend!

If you care to remember that this is a car hobbled together for launch photos you might want to reconsider a few of your major arguments. The only purpose of today's press release was 1 thing, PRESS.

Curious how you have connected a split air box in the turbo generation to a failure from the NA v8 era, highly rational!

Perhaps you're right though and Mercedes will finally realize splitting the airbox is a failure:

:D
Welcome to the layer cake, son.

edu2703

Nice livery. Little changes, as expected. Sauber will have to take advantage of the first four races to score points. After that, they will be too far from the other teams.

With the development of 2017 engines, the back of the grid will be an inevitable destination for Sauber this year. It's only a matter of time.

SR71

Scorpaguy wrote:Well, we at least now have a promising contender for worst livery of the year.
Apologies for the livery post but it should be said for anyone wanting to further comment on livery here....

Check the team thread for what the livery will actually look like. It makes more sense.

They needed to hit a press deadline and clearly final sponsor contracts haven't been signed yet.

f1316

edu2703 wrote:Nice livery. Little changes, as expected. Sauber will have to take advantage of the first four races to score points. After that, they will be too far from the other teams.

With the development of 2017 engines, the back of the grid will be an inevitable destination for Sauber this year. It's only a matter of time.
I'm personally positively surprised by the car from a team that nearly went under last year, but I agree that the one year old engine can inevitably put them near or at the back sooner than later.

Now all the 'new for 2010' teams are completely gone, there is no backmarker and, whilst I'd say Haas are a bit of an unknown, having rhe 2017 PU is a big advantage over Sauber right off the bat.

Sauber did say that they'd use Abu Dhabi spec Ferrari PU 'to begin with' though, so maybe there's some hope of an upgrade throughout the year (although will it be that easy to retrofit?)

tranquility2k4

Can I clarify with the 2017 regs, the beam wing is not allowed right?

Also, I know the diffuser is higher and longer, but is it also wider? I'm guessing the overall floor is wider? Can someone tell me the dimensions.

Furthermore, I'm getting confused by the 'width of the car' - some things I've read suggest it is wider, others suggest it's the same. For example, the sidepods, I believe the minimum for 2017 is same as max for 2016, so are we expecting everyone to keep same width sidepods as 2016 as to not add more drag? Maybe only RB would go for super DF/draggy sidepods?

thanks.

Holm86

tranquility2k4 wrote:Can I clarify with the 2017 regs, the beam wing is not allowed right?

Also, I know the diffuser is higher and longer, but is it also wider? I'm guessing the overall floor is wider? Can someone tell me the dimensions.

Furthermore, I'm getting confused by the 'width of the car' - some things I've read suggest it is wider, others suggest it's the same. For example, the sidepods, I believe the minimum for 2017 is same as max for 2016, so are we expecting everyone to keep same width sidepods as 2016 as to not add more drag? Maybe only RB would go for super DF/draggy sidepods?

thanks.
No beam wings.

Diffuser has gone from 1000mm wide to 1050mm. From 125mm high to 175mm. And instead of starting at the point of the rear axle, it now starts 175mm in front of the axle.

Floor width has gone from 1400mm to 1600mm, and sidepods can now also be maximum 1600mm.
Last edited by Holm86 on 23 Feb 2017, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

tranquility2k4

So the floor is wider for everyone, but the sidepods may stay the same width as 2016? Why would anyone go with wider sidepods when clearly these cars will inherently be a lot more draggy?

dren

tranquility2k4 wrote:So the floor is wider for everyone, but the sidepods may stay the same width as 2016? Why would anyone go with wider sidepods when clearly these cars will inherently be a lot more draggy?
They pass air through the sidepods. A wider sidepod could equate to a more centralized, lower center of gravity. I wouldn't be surprised if Red Bull has more of a bulky, but tight sidepod with lots of exposed upper floor area past the sidepods.
Honda!

FW17

dren wrote:
tranquility2k4 wrote:So the floor is wider for everyone, but the sidepods may stay the same width as 2016? Why would anyone go with wider sidepods when clearly these cars will inherently be a lot more draggy?
They pass air through the sidepods. A wider sidepod could equate to a more centralized, lower center of gravity. I wouldn't be surprised if Red Bull has more of a bulky, but tight sidepod with lots of exposed upper floor area past the sidepods.
Wider can mean lower too, but I think the height of the sidepod is now regulated (due to side impact crash structure)

Could have meant a Mclaren 2011 sidepod without the L shape

Holm86

Im wondering if there is a way to create 1400mm wide sidepods, and then use the last 100mm on each side to create some sort of wing, tunnel or similar??

Giando

Holm86 wrote:Im wondering if there is a way to create 1400mm wide sidepods, and then use the last 100mm on each side to create some sort of wing, tunnel or similar??
That would be awesome... let's see if someone will do something crazy (or clever!) in that area.

Good idea.

wesley123

Holm86 wrote:Im wondering if there is a way to create 1400mm wide sidepods, and then use the last 100mm on each side to create some sort of wing, tunnel or similar??
There is, but why would you want to do that?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Holm86

wesley123 wrote:
There is, but why would you want to do that?
Because there is a potential big surface to create downforce from, which is between the wheels so it would distribute the DF more even. And I believe there is potential to create DF with a relatively low drag penalty.

dren

Wouldn't you be creating more drag and surface flow issues by doing so when you could just make the sidepod tighter and let the all of the flow pass around the car to the diffuser?
Honda!