Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Selvariabell wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 17:17
wesley123 wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 10:37
Selvariabell wrote:
13 Apr 2017, 18:18
although I am concerned on its sensitivity to dirty air.
Because?
More complex shape and more slots meant it is designed with clean air in mind. And more finer Aero details means more sensitivity to dirty air.
I don't think a complex shape or anything automatically means it's more sensitive.

Every car is designed to be as quick as possible, and thus are per definition designed to run in clean air.

The slots are there to reduce pitch sensitivity, and in effect allows a higher Angle of attack
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Fer.Fan

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 14:46
Finally a shot of the PU:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... c76825.jpg

Look at Ferrari PU, compared to MB. What a mess but it seems to work...

ScrewCaptain27

Fer.Fan wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 07:43
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 14:46
Finally a shot of the PU:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... c76825.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017041 ... c76825.jpg

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 065483.jpg

It looks messy because it is being taken out of the car, while the Mercedes one is fully assembled.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Dino Scuderia

and there are the radiators covering the Merc while the Ferrari ones are off as well

mani517

I'm not a very technical person, so, struggling to understand Pat Symonds' point of view about the flexing floor flap. He says "it isn't a cheat or anything like that", but, he also says "it isn't legal as it stands, IMO".

Rules don't allow a closed section and it isn't a closed section... so, why would he say it isn't legal? Can someone help me understand his opinion?

basti313

mani517 wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 16:19
I'm not a very technical person, so, struggling to understand Pat Symonds' point of view about the flexing floor flap. He says "it isn't a cheat or anything like that", but, he also says "it isn't legal as it stands, IMO".

Rules don't allow a closed section and it isn't a closed section... so, why would he say it isn't legal? Can someone help me understand his opinion?
I think the flexibility is the problem, not the slot.
But there are two problems and because of them no one really cares:
- It draw our attention when it was wobbling around. But it should not wobble, it can not do anything good for the aero when it wobbles up and down like mad. At this point it was simply broken.
- Merc is running a very similar flap. For others I did not check it. But I do not think Ferrari has found the holy grail with its cut in the floor, this is a rather standard piece in F1 and is on the cars since 5 years now. I think RedBull started this cutting.
Don`t russel the hamster!

mani517

basti313 wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 16:25
mani517 wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 16:19

But there are two problems and because of them no one really cares:
- It draw our attention when it was wobbling around. But it should not wobble, it can not do anything good for the aero when it wobbles up and down like mad. At this point it was simply broken.
- Merc is running a very similar flap. For others I did not check it. But I do not think Ferrari has found the holy grail with its cut in the floor, this is a rather standard piece in F1 and is on the cars since 5 years now. I think RedBull started this cutting.
Thanks for the response. May be, the length of this cantilever flap is making it flex a lot more than intended. Then again, if the intention is just to bleed the high pressure air from underneath the floor and flexing is counter-productive, it can't be too hard to fix -- unless, they don't want to change the shape of the flap or the material for some specific reason.

[edited] the more I think about it, Pat's point about the shape of the flap makes good sense. A slot running at an angle to the spine of the car is going to bleed a lot more air than the one that runs parallel to the spine of the car (like Merc's flap). So, may be, the flexing is the by-product of the length and shape of the flap & volume of air it bleeds from underneath the floor.

bill shoe

Fer.Fan wrote:
15 Apr 2017, 07:43
Wow, the installation drawing for the Ferrari engine must have 273 details and notes, but the installation drawing for the Mercedes engine probably just has one note: "Install this engine. It makes the car go. We have determined the optimal situation for championship points. Just install the engine."

.poz

basti313 wrote:

I think they fixed it

ScrewCaptain27

Via Racecar Engineering:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

.poz

.poz wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 11:18
basti313 wrote:

I think they fixed it
Piola confirm they fixed it with a metal plate embedded in the carbon fiber

Sevach

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sevach