Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

The ellipse is strong with this one... 8)

Not surprised it's the fastest car.
For Sure!!

f1316

The bargeboard area of the Ferrari is interesting for me...

...in that, for all the talk of low drag, simple design on the Red Bull, the *volume* of bodywork in the front-most box on the Ferrari is actually a lot less than its closest competitors.

This from a few pages back for closer inspection:

Ferrari clearly not using all the space allowed to them in this area. Seems to me (in my simplistic way) to speak of the air already kind of doing what they want and requiring less of a 'brick wall' to move it in this area.

Edit: they do, of course, then have a very large slotted turning vane on the outer edge of the sidepod, so I suppose what they're doing is choosing to do a bit less turning upstream and then use the drag saved (given there'll be a target coefficient) further downstream.

TEHNOS

Heat doesn't just cause flexibility, it also causes expansion in materials. If there is some underlying construction which turns an flat floor into a curved floor when it expands and bends I'm guessing that would help create additional low pressure. They would basically increase effectiveness of the rear diffuser.

mmred

i guess the analysis is kind of simplicistic and erroneus
an heated floor has a combined effect
the advantage would be more efficient heat convection toward reduced drag compared to a vertical or oblique radiator that blocks the flow and increase drag
the disadvantage would be increase in speed in the upper face of the floor, but increase in the speed also in the lower face ( of course the heat goes up so the effect would be a little less downforce ), but in that area u don t search that much downforce and the speed of the upper face flux is not so detrimental because till a certain degree prevents diffuser flux detachment

so their analysis kindof lacks anything

i dont think flexibility is the issue at all

SR71

Could it be as simple as a COG packaging solution?

ScrewCaptain27

Bare bulkhead:
Front wing mounting pins:
Rear suspension mounts:
All photos from AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

godlameroso

Amazing that those two little pins is all it takes to hold up the wing. Are they made of iridium or something?
Saishū kōnā

FLuidd

godlameroso wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 13:13
Amazing that those two little pins is all it takes to hold up the wing. Are they made of iridium or something?
there are 4 pins, 2 from the nose , 2 from the wing

ScrewCaptain27

Dual monkey seat (via AMuS):
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

f1316

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 14:52
Dual monkey seat (via AMuS):
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... 485fc1.jpg
I know they ran this last time, but did they race it? I seem to remember something flying off Kimi's car at one point in one session and wondered if it was the small one?

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 28 Apr 2017, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

f300v10

Via PG Tعch‏ @SmilexTech

bucker

How can air go so vertical so quick. This can not provide that much of a downforce as it is providing additional drag. Or are those vertical flaps just creating low pressure zone so that lower flaps can work harder?