Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Thunders wrote:
10 May 2017, 14:52
GoranF1 wrote:
10 May 2017, 14:47
Is it possible for some other team to copy the front part of Ferrari side pods?
This year.
Possible? Sure.

Likely? No.
Yeah we have been over this several times. You are looking at building an entirely new chassis as the actual sidepod inlets are positioned further back than on other cars. It also means changing your cooling solution. Furthermore, your front suspension geometry has to be in line of the sidepod inlets. Finally, you are also looking at a complex aerodynamic solution which needs to be understood and the rest of the aero platforms have to be adapted accordingly.

I think nobody has the resources, even if unlimited money, to realistically copy that this year. You are dealing with limited windtunnel and cfd time.
#AeroFrodo

GoranF1
GoranF1

turbof1 wrote:
10 May 2017, 15:01
Thunders wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
10 May 2017, 14:47
Is it possible for some other team to copy the front part of Ferrari side pods?
This year.
Possible? Sure.

Likely? No.
Yeah we have been over this several times. You are looking at building an entirely new chassis as the actual sidepod inlets are positioned further back than on other cars. It also means changing your cooling solution. Furthermore, your front suspension geometry has to be in line of the sidepod inlets. Finally, you are also looking at a complex aerodynamic solution which needs to be understood and the rest of the aero platforms have to be adapted accordingly.

I think nobody has the resources, even if unlimited money, to realistically copy that this year. You are dealing with limited windtunnel and cfd time.
The Mclaren sidepod crash structure is really far back...and they have 451 million euro budget.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

It's not only the Sidepod Cooling inlets. You would basically have to Build a whole new Car around that Philosophy. Just copying the front Part of the Sidepods to an existing Car will likely have detrimental Effects on Performance. It's not a silver Bullet to more Speed.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

turbof1

GoranF1 wrote:
10 May 2017, 15:46
turbof1 wrote:
Thunders wrote:

Possible? Sure.

Likely? No.

The Mclaren sidepod crash structure is really far back...and they have 451 million euro budget.
Right, but there's no (none-monetary) budget in terms of windtunnel/cfd time.

I also think the sidepod inlets are even further back on the ferrari than on the mclaren. That means less surface for cooling and packaging. The car is an engineer's wet dream. Especially given it shows no signs of cooling issues. We really need more information on the radiators and the technology behind it.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

I don't know if people noticed, but Ferrari was "practicing" for the short side-pod from last year. For the short side-pods you very likely have to use the "book" style radiators and Has and Ferrari had this arrangement since last year.

If a well heeled team such as Mercedes copies the Ferrari side-pod they would have to adopt the book style radiators. It is possible but much resource would have to be diverted. I think for 2018 Mercedes will attempt to copy it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

tomazy
tomazy

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 May 2017, 17:21
I don't know if people noticed, but Ferrari was "practicing" for the short side-pod from last year. For the short side-pods you very likely have to use the "book" style radiators and Has and Ferrari had this arrangement since last year.

If a well heeled team such as Mercedes copies the Ferrari side-pod they would have to adopt the book style radiators. It is possible but much resource would have to be diverted. I think for 2018 Mercedes will attempt to copy it.
What is book style radiator?
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

f1316
f1316

turbof1 wrote:
10 May 2017, 16:03
GoranF1 wrote:
10 May 2017, 15:46
turbof1 wrote:

Right, but there's no (none-monetary) budget in terms of windtunnel/cfd time.

I also think the sidepod inlets are even further back on the ferrari than on the mclaren. That means less surface for cooling and packaging. The car is an engineer's wet dream. Especially given it shows no signs of cooling issues. We really need more information on the radiators and the technology behind it.
Yeah, and whilst - if the rumours are true that they are bringing a whole new chassis to Barcelona - Red Bull could conceivably be doing anything, as turbo says, we're talking about a whole new philosophy that would require some time to develop an understanding of.

If Newey didn't understand at the car's launch (like he said), I can't believe he's already put it in his car.

ferkan
ferkan

Silent Storm wrote:
10 May 2017, 20:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Its radiator "broken" in two. Its shorter then regular one, and would be one of the reasons why Ferrari could push back their sidepods so far back while still retaining very tight cokebottle and relatively short wheelbase.

PlatinumZealot

Silent Storm wrote:
10 May 2017, 20:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Some word I made up. I guess you can call it "V" or "folded" style...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Morteza

New bargebords (they are divided now):

Via @AlbertFabrega

By the way this is how the new numbers on SF70H look like (black on white):

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

cplchanb
cplchanb

Uh oh.....white....bad luck colour

Sevach
Sevach

zioture
zioture