Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

It's more (or at least partly) down to temperatures IMO. The car works much better (relatively) when it's hot.

hurril

voltmod wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 18:42
hurril wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 12:10
SiLo wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 11:35
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... ml?block=1

Report that Ferrari have been banned from some trick with the blown axle when the car is in yaw. Can someone translate?
This article also mentions having found oil residue in the gasoline. Is that really the case? This is the first I've seen that is that specific.
The article also says that Mercedes has a couple of oil tanks. Is it true?
No idea. _I_ have not even seen it verified that even Ferrari has more than one oil tank.

ringo

The car has good aero, but specifically it's a more stable car than mercedes in transients.
Mechanically the car has to be very good as well, but i think the stable aero platform contributes to this mostly.
Hate to say it.. but this it what the elliptical philosophy gives you. 8) :mrgreen:

So Mercedes better at high speed and long radius corners. Ferrari better a medium speed with more transient.
I beleive Ferrari brakes much better than the mercedes as well.

I am not able to say which feature on the car gives it this good performance though, but the drastic departure from the mundane from last year has surely helped in every aspect.
For Sure!!

NathanOlder

Quick question, are the sidepods on this car regarded as a big piece of their performance ? There was a lot of talk early on in the season about the shape of the side pods and the openings.

What I'm getting at is , if the side pods are a performance gain, then will Ferraei lose out next year as everyone will copy?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mat-tes

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 13:45
Quick question, are the sidepods on this car regarded as a big piece of their performance ? There was a lot of talk early on in the season about the shape of the side pods and the openings.

What I'm getting at is , if the side pods are a performance gain, then will Ferraei lose out next year as everyone will copy?
I'm far from being an expert but I've read quite a few similar proposition from fans over the years when Mercedes (crazy complex surfaces)/Redbul (blown diffusor)/Mclaren (Fduct)/Brawn (double diffusor) came up with various creative design solutions, and overtime the answer has been "it's not as easy as slapping on new pieces, it has to fit the philosophy of the car".
Overtime other teams did managed to copy those solutions, but never really to the same potential as the original design.
Ferrari pretty much redesigned all of it's car around this I would assume, so that would make other teams take a very big risk of restarting from zero while other continue refining their philosophy from 2017 onward.
And even if they do, Ferrari with a year of constant running with that solution might come up with an even more radical design next year.
Unlike a "simple" aero solution, this works in tandem with a specific packaging of the engine and other components, plus I'd assume having things much further back also impacts the overall weight distribution of the car.

So, maybe some team will try it out, we'll see next year.

MtthsMlw

f300v10

Another shot of the updated diffusor from todays testing. While Ferrari has modified the out edge flaps several times they haven't updated the 'interior' of the diffusor since launch of the car until now. The update would seem to further expand the flow in the central area of the diffusor.

Via AMUS

For comparison, here is a shot from the first day of testing back in February:

And a direct comparison of today and what raced on Sunday:
Via http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/

Mr.G

There is more on the new diffuser, look at the bottom side edges, there are new vanes like shapes... it is best visible on the floviz picture...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

godlameroso

Making a change like that to the floor isn't so simple, the transmission case had to be redesigned.
Saishū kōnā

f300v10

Ferrari back to running the Hungary race spec diffuser during todays test.

wuzak

godlameroso wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 15:13
Making a change like that to the floor isn't so simple, the transmission case had to be redesigned.
Did it?

I don't think the transmission case is anywhere near that.

godlameroso

No it's not, but the space in the area of the floor was altered, and in order to accommodate the new shape, things must be moved around further up the chassis. There is no centimeter on the car that isn't occupied, so if that area was changed, everything up to the rear axle had to be modified to accommodate it. It's not a complete redesign but a tweak, still it's not as easy to do as it appears, you'd be very surprised.
Saishū kōnā

wuzak

godlameroso wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 02:52
No it's not, but the space in the area of the floor was altered, and in order to accommodate the new shape, things must be moved around further up the chassis. There is no centimeter on the car that isn't occupied, so if that area was changed, everything up to the rear axle had to be modified to accommodate it. It's not a complete redesign but a tweak, still it's not as easy to do as it appears, you'd be very surprised.
I can't find a picture at the moment, but I believe the gearbox housing has been clear of the floor in that area since the launch.

So it would not need to be moved.

shady

the gearbox case is well above the neutral section of the floor, i asked about it earlier in the thread.

PlatinumZealot

Mat-tes wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:05
NathanOlder wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 13:45

I'm far from being an expert but I've read quite a few similar proposition from fans over the years when Mercedes (crazy complex surfaces)/Redbul (blown diffusor)/Mclaren (Fduct)/Brawn (double diffusor) came up with various creative design solutions, and overtime the answer has been "it's not as easy as slapping on new pieces, it has to fit the philosophy of the car".
Overtime other teams did managed to copy those solutions, but never really to the same potential as the original design.
Ferrari pretty much redesigned all of it's car around this I would assume, so that would make other teams take a very big risk of restarting from zero while other continue refining their philosophy from 2017 onward.
And even if they do, Ferrari with a year of constant running with that solution might come up with an even more radical design next year.
Unlike a "simple" aero solution, this works in tandem with a specific packaging of the engine and other components, plus I'd assume having things much further back also impacts the overall weight distribution of the car.

So, maybe some team will try it out, we'll see next year.
Willem Toet suggested that the side-pods give Ferrari better management of air around the side-pods, and hence to t the coke bottle area, and also better air flow into the side-pod. meaning more down-force to the rear and less drag from the cooling openings.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏