Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
trinidefender

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 20:08
Mat-tes wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 17:05
NathanOlder wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 13:45
Quick question, are the sidepods on this car regarded as a big piece of their performance ? There was a lot of talk early on in the season about the shape of the side pods and the openings.

What I'm getting at is , if the side pods are a performance gain, then will Ferraei lose out next year as everyone will copy?
I'm far from being an expert but I've read quite a few similar proposition from fans over the years when Mercedes (crazy complex surfaces)/Redbul (blown diffusor)/Mclaren (Fduct)/Brawn (double diffusor) came up with various creative design solutions, and overtime the answer has been "it's not as easy as slapping on new pieces, it has to fit the philosophy of the car".
Overtime other teams did managed to copy those solutions, but never really to the same potential as the original design.
Ferrari pretty much redesigned all of it's car around this I would assume, so that would make other teams take a very big risk of restarting from zero while other continue refining their philosophy from 2017 onward.
And even if they do, Ferrari with a year of constant running with that solution might come up with an even more radical design next year.
Unlike a "simple" aero solution, this works in tandem with a specific packaging of the engine and other components, plus I'd assume having things much further back also impacts the overall weight distribution of the car.

So, maybe some team will try it out, we'll see next year.
Willem Toet suggested that the side-pods give Ferrari better management of air around the side-pods, and hence to t the coke bottle area, and also better air flow into the side-pod. meaning more down-force to the rear and less drag from the cooling openings.
Mind giving a link where willed toet said that? Was that on the new CFD series with Scarbs and Willem?

Juzh

trinidefender wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 19:33
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mat-tes wrote:

I'm far from being an expert but I've read quite a few similar proposition from fans over the years when Mercedes (crazy complex surfaces)/Redbul (blown diffusor)/Mclaren (Fduct)/Brawn (double diffusor) came up with various creative design solutions, and overtime the answer has been "it's not as easy as slapping on new pieces, it has to fit the philosophy of the car".
Overtime other teams did managed to copy those solutions, but never really to the same potential as the original design.
Ferrari pretty much redesigned all of it's car around this I would assume, so that would make other teams take a very big risk of restarting from zero while other continue refining their philosophy from 2017 onward.
And even if they do, Ferrari with a year of constant running with that solution might come up with an even more radical design next year.
Unlike a "simple" aero solution, this works in tandem with a specific packaging of the engine and other components, plus I'd assume having things much further back also impacts the overall weight distribution of the car.

Willem Toet suggested that the side-pods give Ferrari better management of air around the side-pods, and hence to t the coke bottle area, and also better air flow into the side-pod. meaning more down-force to the rear and less drag from the cooling openings.
Mind giving a link where willed toet said that? Was that on the new CFD series with Scarbs and Willem?
Yes.

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 19:33
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mat-tes wrote:

Yep. That same one. Willem did not reveal much more than that. But i feel there are more effects happening. He did not mention vortices if i remember.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Juzh

Sevach

Morteza

Ferrari has removed the upper appendix from the outer side of the front wing endplate

Via @LuisFeF1
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

godlameroso

They did more than just that, the whole front wing is re profiled. As always the devil is in the details.
Saishū kōnā

outsid3r

Morteza wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 13:40
Ferrari has removed the upper appendix from the outer side of the front wing endplate
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH_erWqXsAAJlq5.jpg

Via @LuisFeF1
In the new version there seems to be a small 'pin' in the outer lower edge. Winglet or sensor attachment point maybe?

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ripper

New third element on front suspension.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... re-944139/

Mamba

No Hungary test diffusor it seems. Perhaps it's intended for the high downforce tracks?

MAMBA

Morteza

Vanja #66

Mamba wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 17:01
No Hungary test diffusor it seems. Perhaps it's intended for the high downforce tracks?

MAMBA
Or perhaps not yet installed, to keep from the prying eyes...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f300v10

Morteza wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 17:06
Full sized image of same shot:

hazelnut120

Ferrari are running a new suspension this weekend