Renault Sport F1 R.S.17

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GTO99

Re: Renault Sport F1 R.S.17

Striking car! Love the bat wing! =D>

proteus

f1316 wrote:
proteus wrote:The rear end of the car looks very similar to the Mclaren MP4-29.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5Mw3djVcAAQdEW.jpg

http://cdn.johnywheels.com/2015/12/31/m ... 8c65ac.jpg
Wow if only someone had noticed that (page 5) ;)

Great minds, I guess (or fools seldom differ?)
I havent seen youre post when i did mine, so please forgive me for not checking if something similar was allready posted. The whole thing just popped in my head when walking a dog, and i wrote it right away when came back home, not checking what has allready been posted. Again, my bad, sorry :)
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

f1316

proteus wrote:
f1316 wrote:
proteus wrote:The rear end of the car looks very similar to the Mclaren MP4-29.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5Mw3djVcAAQdEW.jpg

http://cdn.johnywheels.com/2015/12/31/m ... 8c65ac.jpg
Wow if only someone had noticed that (page 5) ;)

Great minds, I guess (or fools seldom differ?)
I havent seen youre post when i did mine, so please forgive me for not checking if something similar was allready posted. The whole thing just popped in my head when walking a dog, and i wrote it right away when came back home, not checking what has allready been posted. Again, my bad, sorry :)
No worries man!

In any case, apparently we're not supposed to be comparing features 'on the car' with those on another car, which is a new one on me.

SRK
SRK

outsid3r wrote:I don't think the intake area is bigger - its just [elliptical :) ] oval shaped and higher up to limit interference with the lower rear wing... very smart
Yes it makes Sauber's effort look even messier around the airbox than it did at first glance.

I can't see a clear shot of the leading edge of the floor for this Renault though - almost looks like scoops for drawing air under...(?) I suppose if that air gets entertained out to the sides, you might get a decent skirt effect...

Blackout

The cooling exits are more similar to the E22* (top view and rear view)... which was similar to the MP4-29 in that regard
https://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/14/79/55/26/29_2210.jpg
*especially the tighter/low heat spec which appeared later in 2014. The Mclaren ones are much more cannon-like

Renault retained a titanium casing for the Gbox according to Scarbs.
Last edited by Blackout on 21 Feb 2017, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

DarkAlman

Is that a cooling duct in the bottom left or a shadow?

I see the swan neck rear wing support and wonder if they'll try to bring back the passive DRS device

SlickF1

Out of the three 2017 cars so far, the Renault is quite developed and most interesting, also showing a lot of unique design features for their launch spec.

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

CEPAT

Who are the main people behind the design of this car?

Looks great, hope it's fast!

Just_a_fan

Holm86 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
I hate the fin. :evil:
Bottas or Kimi? :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Blackout

I wonder why the vertical sidepod 'deflectors' are slotted but the bargeboards which are aggressively bended, have no slots :P

FrukostScones

oink oink

1st pic autosport forums, the rest AMUS:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 23545.html
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ESPImperium

I really like this car, its got many of the things from last years car that i liked on the front end of the car, but loads of detail and loads of things i like. Dat Ass is massive, also the air scoops seem to be getting larger and larger, Sauber looks to have taken a page from the W01 and T128/VJM05 as well, but the cooling and air intakes seem to be going arial and less in the side pods and other areas, however they are getting increasingly bloody ugly for me.

I think this car will be a contender and will move up the grid comparative to last year. Id like to think it will show off Palmer to be the tallest he is and also give Hulkenberg the chance to carry a team and also show off his development traits, and get the car to his liking and not to what the pay driver liked as well.

Just_a_fan

Blackout wrote:I wonder why the vertical sidepod 'deflectors' are slotted but the bargeboards which are aggressively bended, have no slots :P
The slotted deflector is doing a different job to the barge board. The slots will allow the deflector to turn the flow without separation on the "rear". This keeps the flow tidy. The barge boards are turning flow and generating powerful vortices. The vortices would be reduced by lots of slots. The vortices are crucial to underfloor flow. The barge board also scavenges flow from under the nose and hence the front wing. Big pressure differences across the board will help both of these functions.

That's how I see it. Probably someone will be along soon to prove me wrong... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.