Renault Sport F1 R.S.17

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
sprint car76

Re: Renault Sport F1 R.S.17

The car looks like it has been in development a long time. No wonder their last years car sucked. Looks very good and i like the colours

Zynerji

sprint car76 wrote:The car looks like it has been in development a long time. No wonder their last years car sucked. Looks very good and i like the colours

With this being true, and the amount of in season development money available, this team is my Dark Horse pick for 2017 with at least one surprise win.

GoranF1

The car smels like 2005......
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

DiogoBrand

Reminds me a lot of those hideous MP4-29 sidepod outlets, but fortunately not as ugly.

Really liked the bargeboards shape from this angle, did they already do this Y shape pre 2009?

Of course both images are from the rendered model so it may not be exactly like the real thing.

clipsy1H

as i said reanult will be the team with something in this year car design !!! This car looks amazing, such an improvement from last year ! i think this is the one for Renault. We have here a winning car at least one race this year ! I'm impressed and still Ferrari and McLaren yet to show ! We gonna have something spectacular from them.

I also see a very similar rear end with MP29, looks identical but maybe the angle have a part. So far the best looking and imo performance car from 2017. I still hate the nose, i think FIA have to do something, enough with Pinocchio nose !!

To me is a 2005 feeling about this car, i think this car is exactly there but i don't know about drivers, no one of them can compare with Alonso, with Button.... :mrgreen:
Last edited by clipsy1H on 22 Feb 2017, 00:40, edited 2 times in total.

Zynerji

Oddly, of all the noses since 2009, I like this derivative the best.

KeiKo403

Renault Sport F1 R.S.17

turbof1 wrote:
FW17 wrote:Lower wishbone and drive shaft together?

https://i.imgur.com/OQGzJXlh.jpg
Yep. It's the famous solution from red bull first used during the 2012 european grand prix.
But can the suspension be used for that?(more of an integration than a use, I know)
Aren't Ferrari complaining to the FIA about Merc & RBR as they're using the suspension for 'not just basic suspension'?

Surely the Merc & RBR solution is to give an aero advantage but isn't integrating the drive shaft with the suspension (shielding the air from the spinning ds) not also preventing a loss in aero?

I've probably not explained myself the best there but hopefully it's enough food for thought or enough for someone to educate me where I'm wrong ;)
Last edited by KeiKo403 on 22 Feb 2017, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

Zynerji

GoranF1 wrote:The car smels like 2005......
Merc always touted chassis and engine integration for their success, and this looks like Renault took that to the extreme.

Could be the surprise of the paddock.

Alexgtt

Great looking car to my eyes. Loads of interesting details. What's happening with those arches in the rear floor besides the gearbox/rear crash structure? Looks like a expansion chamber in the diffuser or maybe something feeds that from somewhere else on the car? Maybe from the raised front edges of the floor??

Everyone goes on about last years car being so bad but what was to be expected from a quick alteration from a chassis designed for the Merc motor. It was a hybrid/cut and shut due to late Renault takeover wasn't it?

Zynerji

And I believe they knew that from the start, and RS17 had full focus all of 2016.

It's also why I think Palmer got a pass for a sub- par showing in 2016.

F1NAC

KeiKo403 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
FW17 wrote:Lower wishbone and drive shaft together?

https://i.imgur.com/OQGzJXlh.jpg
Yep. It's the famous solution from red bull first used during the 2012 european grand prix.
But can the suspension be used for that?(more of an integration than a use, I know)
Aren't Ferrari complaining to the FIA about Merc & RBR as they're using the suspension for 'not just basic suspension'?

Surely the Merc & RBR solution is to give an aero advantage but isn't integrating the drive shaft with the suspension (shielding the air from the spinning ds) not also preventing a loss in aero?

I've probably not explained myself the best there but hopefully it's enough food for thought or enough for someone to educate me where I'm wrong ;)
You can cover driveshaft as long as it's aero neutral. Round object can cause turbulent air and that doesn't really help diffuser

Rikhart

Alexgtt wrote:Great looking car to my eyes. Loads of interesting details. What's happening with those arches in the rear floor besides the gearbox/rear crash structure? Looks like a expansion chamber in the diffuser or maybe something feeds that from somewhere else on the car? Maybe from the raised front edges of the floor??

Everyone goes on about last years car being so bad but what was to be expected from a quick alteration from a chassis designed for the Merc motor. It was a hybrid/cut and shut due to late Renault takeover wasn't it?
I remember a quick alteration car designed for another engine completely dominating a season not long ago.

andone89

I am amazed by the load these small front nosecone and front wing connectors must be able to take.

DiogoBrand

The car looks really good and all, but how can you guys tell if it's good or not?

The MP4-30 also looked amazing before hitting the track.

Not saying the R.S. 17 will be a bad car, and I don't think it will. I just don't know how someone can tell it just by looking at pictures.

PhillipM

Zynerji wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:The car smels like 2005......
Merc always touted chassis and engine integration for their success, and this looks like Renault took that to the extreme.

Could be the surprise of the paddock.
It certainly looks like it could leapfrog williams, much more detail on the car, but we'll see what's on the cars come the first race.