McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AMG.Tzan

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Jef Patat wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:Weren't the radiator inlets meant to be swept backwards?? Why are Mclaren's swept inwards like last year??
I think what they are trying to do is use air that is only a little bit disturbed by the front suspension and guide that after the bargeboard to the undercut and feed it to the rear. To that you need the front of the sidepod shaped in certain ways.
Yeah...i mean i remember the rules defining that they must be swept backwards...like the rear wing! Not on purpose for aerodynamic reasons!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Jef Patat

Can we pretty pretty please stop this livery nonsense here? Mods should install some filter :x

majki2111

I i'm just thinking is there any reasons to belive this car wont win races. IMO there is 50-50 chance.
People are looking to much in 2016.
My first question would be is there anything bad on this car, I haven't read any bad comments (just terms like ?"basic", "boring", not "bad", or "not good".
This year there are new regulations which are active and I don't see why car would't be a winner.
Same refers to all teams. (I'm counting on Force India to be pleasant surprise this year. :) )

cmF1

We are now deleting posts about livery without warning or explanation.
Stick to the rules or the thread will be locked and you will be temporarily banned.
プラスとマイナス

DiogoBrand

Xero wrote:What do you class as boring? The fact it's not radically different from last year or other cars? Boring as it did not meet your wild expectations/fantasies?

Nobody here is saying that this car will win races. In one breath you talk about false expectations, but in another compare it directly to Mercedes and Red Bull. It's a bit contradictory.

Anyway, getting back on track about the technicalities of the car... the more I look at the pictures, the more I'm impressed by the compactness of the sidepods and airbox. That comparison to last years car really shows it off better. They've really trimmed down on the cooling, they must be very comfortable with the new PU's capabilities.
Boring as in: not exciting. Maybe now you understand :wink:

I'm not comparing cars between McLaren, RB and Merc. I'm comparing what the reactions would be.

About the size of sidepods and inlets. Doesn't seem like anything special.

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

BosF1

majki2111 wrote:I i'm just thinking is there any reasons to belive this car wont win races. IMO there is 50-50 chance.
My first question would be is there anything bad on this car, I haven't read any bad comments (just terms like ?"basic", "boring", not "bad", or "not good".
This year there are new regulations which are active and I don't see why car would't be a winner.
Same refers to all teams. (I'm counting on Force India to be pleasant surprise this year. :) )
Interesting mindset!
I don't see it as a bad thing either to have such a basic car at launch, since I have good hopes for an heavily updated car in the first week of testing already 8)

GoranF1

This article says the big secret is diffuzor, but i have zero idea how reaible it is.

http://blogs.20minutos.es/formula-1-alo ... n=Postlink

Lucky

Im Fahrwerksstreit nimmt McLaren eine neutrale Position ein. Weil man ein eigenes System hat, wie Chefingenieur Matt Morris erklärt: „Wir haben ein System, von dem wir glauben, dass es legal ist. Wenn jemand protestieren will, müssten die Regeln geändert werden. Das Sinnvollste wäre es, die Dinge zu diskutieren und für 2018 zu klären.“

In the chassis quarrel mcLaren takes a neutral position. Because one has own system as chief engineer Matt Morris explains: „We have a system from which we think that it is legal. If somebody wants to protest, the rules would have to be changed. The most sensible would be to discuss the things and to clear for 2018.“
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 25879.html

taperoo2k

BosF1 wrote:
majki2111 wrote:I i'm just thinking is there any reasons to belive this car wont win races. IMO there is 50-50 chance.
Interesting mindset!
I don't see it as a bad thing either to have such a basic car at launch, since I have good hopes for an heavily updated car in the first week of testing already 8)
It looks to be a solid base to start from, no doubt McLaren have not revealed all the new aero parts. Just the basic concepts, so I expect we'll see something much different rolling out of the garage come day one of testing. Until we get to Qualifying down under, nobody is really going to know how the cars are going to perform. Way to early to judge the McLaren or any other car yet, cautious optimism is the way to go. The new regulations mean there is a lot more scope to develop the MCL32 over the course of the season.

namao

GoranF1 wrote:This article says the big secret is diffuzor, but i have zero idea how reaible it is.

http://blogs.20minutos.es/formula-1-alo ... n=Postlink
That article is a joke.

GoranF1

Lucky wrote:Im Fahrwerksstreit nimmt McLaren eine neutrale Position ein. Weil man ein eigenes System hat, wie Chefingenieur Matt Morris erklärt: „Wir haben ein System, von dem wir glauben, dass es legal ist. Wenn jemand protestieren will, müssten die Regeln geändert werden. Das Sinnvollste wäre es, die Dinge zu diskutieren und für 2018 zu klären.“

In the chassis quarrel mcLaren takes a neutral position. Because one has own system as chief engineer Matt Morris explains: „We have a system from which we think that it is legal. If somebody wants to protest, the rules would have to be changed. The most sensible would be to discuss the things and to clear for 2018.“
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 25879.html
Active suspension?

Jef Patat

I'm not sure that's the t-tray, it looks more like an integration with the batwing. Do I still spot the t-tray coming out underneath?

Sevach

dren wrote:
Mesteño wrote:Trying to compare sidepods between top cars of the engine suppliers, it looks the bulkiest to me, but smallest ventilation holes too.
I wouldn't say that. They look pretty compact.
Agreed, it's tight and compact sticking to 1400 mm.

Just because Mercedes and Ferrari got "creative" with their sidepod design doesn't make a nicely designed "old school" one crap.
It's all about compromises, Mercedes style has some advantages but also has to deal with extra frontal area.

GoranF1

Jef Patat wrote:
I'm not sure that's the t-tray, it looks more like an integration with the batwing. Do I still spot the t-tray coming out underneath?
Looks to me like t tray and floor have become 1.