McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

The devil is in the details, could be the same wing but maybe an edge is a few mm different, curves less, or more, or is slightly in a different location, or orientation to another surface. Such subtle changes can be the difference between too strong or too weak a flow structure. Chances are with the different angles pictures are taken at it would be hard to spot, even with really good eyes.
Saishū kōnā

f1rules
f1rules

But somers is smart enough to know the difference, if its detail or complete new fw, guess he is just click baiting with the headline

Thunder

Still that super basic Floor.

Not sure about the turning Vanes under the Nose but so far not much new.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Mr.G

Del Boy wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 22:10
roon wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 22:08
Del Boy wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 21:59
https://flic.kr/p/T1i3Ed
https://flic.kr/p/T1hZQ5
Any body here got any ideas what this does?
A bit of background; I took at about 3:00pm on day 8. The device sits on the car with flashing yellow arrows going around it. You can see the car has tension barriers around it and none of mechanics are too near it. I therefore assume it has something to do with ERS.

Not sure if I've copied the URL correctly
Which part? What arrows? Can you label your image?
The round thing sitting on top of the nose slightly behind the front wheels. The S duct panel is off and the machine is behind the round hole in the monocoque. Sorry a bit new at adding images!!
Here something similar in Toro Rosso

Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

BosF1
BosF1

In my opinion the lack of updates so far tells me exactly how confident McLaren are about their chances - not confident at all. McLaren has the budget to develop the car, they actually said they have more budget this year, because the shareholders have thrown in more. From past years we also know McLaren can develop rather quickly throughout a season and we know it is rare nowadays to not bring updates to the first race from testing. With this in mind, the lack of updates must be because they feel it won't bring them anything. Whether that is because they think they have slim chances of finishing or because the PU in it's current (detuned) state is so slow that updates won't mather, I don't know. I just think they put the updates on hold for when their car (read: PU) is more competitive.

GoranF1
GoranF1

BosF1 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 10:44
In my opinion the lack of updates so far tells me exactly how confident McLaren are about their chances - not confident at all. McLaren has the budget to develop the car, they actually said they have more budget this year, because the shareholders have thrown in more. From past years we also know McLaren can develop rather quickly throughout a season and we know it is rare nowadays to not bring updates to the first race from testing. With this in mind, the lack of updates must be because they feel it won't bring them anything. Whether that is because they think they have slim chances of finishing or because the PU in it's current (detuned) state is so slow that updates won't mather, I don't know. I just think they put the updates on hold for when their car (read: PU) is more competitive.
or maybe the updates are not visible on the car going to scrutineering as it was the case for the last 120 years?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

BosF1
BosF1

GoranF1 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 11:00
BosF1 wrote:
or maybe the updates are not visible on the car going to scrutineering as it was the case for the last 120 years?
We'll see.

Andres125sx

Or maybe they simply want to check the basic setup for first time with a non detuned PU before introducing any upgrade

f1rules
f1rules

Could be this, or like goran says just holding back for sruteneering, reading zaks interview though im sure you are right, they are holding it back, taking all the pain now, and there will be lots of it it seems and then introduce later with maybe a new honda spec pu
BosF1 wrote:

turbof1

Discussion about the specific parts only, not speculation about the performance gain they bring. Removed some posts.
#AeroFrodo

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Don't think we've seen that big cooling gills in Barcelona, it's a bit hotter of course. Other than that I'm surprised to see that basic floor again :(

ollandos
ollandos

the car is underdevelop because they build other chassis for fit mercedes engine .....i hope :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: any chance of mclaren and honda bluff ? i dont wont to see race again if not

Thunder

Tiny Aero Rakes:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

proteus

I am concerned about the finish on this carbon fibre parts, they are not coated with resin and polished, they are just simply grinded and left like this. aparently this really are one-off parts which will be thrown away as soon as possible - atleast it seems so.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows