McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

@proteus: They're obviously Prototypes, don't act like that's something new in F1.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Thunders wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 16:06
@proteus: They're obviously Prototypes, don't act like that's something new in F1.
Thunders, don't ask rhetorical questions :P
I'm a bit amazed that the bargeboards also look unfinished (sandpapered) while at the same time not looking new.

turbof1

proteus wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 16:05
I am concerned about the finish on this carbon fibre parts, they are not coated with resin and polished, they are just simply grinded and left like this. aparently this really are one-off parts which will be thrown away as soon as possible - atleast it seems so.
Like Thunders already explained, these are most likely parts which have been rushed, with no time for resin and polishing. It's something we very often see for the first race of the season. Back in 2011, McLaren rapid-prototyped a complete diffuser out of titanium.

Removing a couple of posts rambling about how basic parts look. Talking about parts finishes is allowed in the context of its functionality and preparation.
#AeroFrodo

ncassi22
ncassi22

Love those! They seem to still be doing correlation - Hence the spec 1 Johny Walker bargeboards. Also a good idea as Aus P1 is usually slippery and useless for setup.

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 23 Mar 2017, 18:27, edited 3 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ScrewCaptain27

Copyright @ScarbsTech
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Goran2812
Goran2812

That floor... so basic...
Can someone explain what that winglet infront of the rear tires does?
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Coefficient
Coefficient

Some of the marks are where they haven't cleaned flow vis off properly.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

proteus wrote:
I am concerned about the finish on this carbon fibre parts, they are not coated with resin and polished, they are just simply grinded and left like this. aparently this really are one-off parts which will be thrown away as soon as possible - atleast it seems so.
mclaren knows what they're doing, no need to be concerned. you should be concerned if they mounted bumpers and directional indicators.

also, if there is no actual benefit from coating it with resin and then polishing the resin, then why do all that effort?

you could for example reason that if you can be sure that coating and polishing it has no actual aero benefit, or discardable, then you might actually win some weight back by the amount of parts you decide not to coat. a few hundred grams dont neccesarily look like much, but if it is for multiple parts, you save quite a good amount and above, you can argue, you can lessen the stress on your driver's diet and have him loose 200 grams body weight less.

there's something to say for anything. something that doesnt look fantastic doesnt neccesarily be bad.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

The flat bits on the outer diffuser edge seem to be gone again, I never understood how that was supposed to work.

SR71

proteus wrote:
I'm not sure you understand how modern CF parts are made but not one part of your comment likely applies.

Most of these parts will be made from pre-pregnated carbon fiber.

Why would u want to add additional resin and weight for no reason?

GhostF1
GhostF1

Goran2812 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 18:31
That floor... so basic...
Can someone explain what that winglet infront of the rear tires does?
Just pure speculation here... but that winglet might be something to kick the airflow upwards into the air barrier which appears around the tyres when at speed which would likely be a method of drag reduction rather than letting the air smash into the tyre causing unnecessary turbulence.

That's just where my brain is going with that.. it's possible i'm completely wrong haha

proteus

SR71 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 21:33
proteus wrote:
I'm not sure you understand how modern CF parts are made but not one part of your comment likely applies.

Why on earth would u think about the structural integrity of the carbon fibre parts? I wasnt implying that those parts are held together by some science fiction force/material. I know how the carbon fibre parts are manufactured. It was only an aesthetic view of the matter.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

SR71

proteus wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 00:42
SR71 wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 21:33
proteus wrote:

Why on earth would u think about the structural integrity of the carbon fibre parts? I wasnt implying that those parts are held together by some science fiction force/material. I know how the carbon fibre parts are manufactured. It was only an aesthetic view of the matter.
You know how carbon fibre parts are manufactured yet ask why there is no outer clear layer of resin. All pre-pregnated carbon fiber comes out with a thin layer of resin on the outside surface.

Every piece of carbon fiber on that car has an outer layer of resin. It might only be a few microns thick but it's there.