McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wuzak

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

3jawchuck wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 07:50
Sasha wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 06:28
There is talk that the transmission is just as bad as Honda's first pre-chamber head.....needs a complete redesign. :shock:
Where is this talk coming from?
Anybody that has seen the car live and heard it make upshifts.

3jawchuck

wuzak wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 08:09
3jawchuck wrote:
Sasha wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 06:28
There is talk that the transmission is just as bad as Honda's first pre-chamber head.....needs a complete redesign. :shock:
Is there any source for this or is it just speculation at this time?

wuzak

3jawchuck wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 08:52
wuzak wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 08:09
3jawchuck wrote:

Is there any source for this or is it just speculation at this time?
The fact that it sounds like it is grinding gears may be an indicator.

Maybe this helps (from the Honda PU thread)
Rudex wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 08:12
Now the problem with vibrations is from gearbox??.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... &sandbox=1

F1 Topic: Honda PU, the main cause of the vibration problem is McLaren's gearbox?
March 30, 2017

To Honda's power unit, there are vibrations with the power shortage, lack of reliability, and improvement request from the driver. This is not a story started in the Australian Grand Prix, but from the end of February to the early March tests, drivers have been dissatisfied.

Initially, this vibration was thought to be generated by the power unit body. That's because Honda has designed a different combustion chamber this season. This new combustion chamber is said to be Turbulent Jet Ignition (TJI), and it seemed that the vibration was increased by the huge explosive power.

Yusuke Hasegawa Yoshihisa Honda F1 general manager said, "There is no recognition that the vibration has increased due to engine performance enhancement," said the vibration is not derived from a new combustion chamber.

So the next possible cause was whether it was a new layout that put the turbo and the compressor out of the V bank angle. However, Hasegawa General Manager also declined this once and for all.

In addition, Masato Hasegawa's problem of mapping is said to be "considerably better from the test". Nevertheless, in the Australian Grand Prix, "It is still said from the driver that there is" oscillation (resonance). "In fact, vibrations (vibrations) being said altogether are just this post shift oscillation (Resonance immediately after shift change) "

The identity of this vibration is thought to be caused by the resonance including the driving system of the engine, the gear box, the tribe shaft and the vibration of the tire. In other words, it was not generated by PU alone.

Furthermore, post-shift oscillation means that the vibration of the gearbox is the main cause of resonance, even though it occurs just after the shift change. Hasegawa, general manager, also said, "It is particularly big when shifting up."

The current F1 gearbox uses a seamless shift. The normal gear change process is the former stage out gear → neutral → next stage in gear, but the seamless shift is a system in which the transmission torque loss time is zero at the time of upshifting by setting the next in-gear gear to the front-end out gear, the effect of 0.4 seconds reduction per lap It is said. This was introduced for the first time in the F1 world, in fact it was a story of the era when it was supplying with BAR to the engine in 2005 at Honda.

In other words, "His post-shift oscillation", the general manager of Hasegawa said that the vibration called "guts, guts" of the shift-up of the seamless shift is caused by resonance with the vibration of Honda's PU Become.

Of course, because it is resonance, even by adjusting the mapping on the Honda side, it is possible to relax some of the vibration. However, if the source of the vibration is in a seamless shift, it will not be a fundamental solution unless McLaren's gearbox is improved.

In Australia's paddock, during the season McLaren was whispered to cancel the contract by paying a penalty to Honda. In that case, McLaren will supply the gearbox to Sauber receiving supply of gearbox from Ferrari, he says.

If this rumor is true, even in Sauber which switches to Honda, the problem of resonance will occur. How much does Sauber know about that?

BosF1

I am not entirely convinced the numbers 3 and 5 in the picture above are really different. Seem to me like they might have to do with the camera angle. The upmost flap does seem to have a different profile, but more to the inner side than where the number is placed.

Henning

I can definitely see differences that cannot be explained by camera angle:

3 is D shaped (with slight shoulders) in the old picture and C shaped (continuous radius) in the new picture

5 is wider in the new picture: compare the ratio of orange to black.

3jawchuck

BosF1 wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 13:43
I am not entirely convinced the numbers 3 and 5 in the picture above are really different. Seem to me like they might have to do with the camera angle. The upmost flap does seem to have a different profile, but more to the inner side than where the number is placed.
3 certainly looks less elongated and more circular than it was. 5 could just be angle.

F1NAC

T wing

ScrewCaptain27

It's a Mercedes-style double T-wing
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

JonoNic

Does this t-wing help in anyway with DRS opening and closing?

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Alonso Fan

JonoNic wrote:
05 Apr 2017, 12:41

I just love that f1 aero has become so complex that when a team adds something everyone assumes that its there to influence another part of the car. I remember watching teds notebook and he asked newey about this t wing. Newey was basically like 'its just a wing, it produces downforce, simple' and ted was so adamant to get an answer along the lines of 'it helps airflow over xyz'.

Not having a go at you, just generally speaking.

As far as i know its just there to bolt on more downforce, literally (i could be wrong though)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

SimonFW11b

Just what McLaren need, more drag

3jawchuck

Alonso Fan wrote:
05 Apr 2017, 12:59
JonoNic wrote:

I just love that f1 aero has become so complex that when a team adds something everyone assumes that its there to influence another part of the car. I remember watching teds notebook and he asked newey about this t wing. Newey was basically like 'its just a wing, it produces downforce, simple' and ted was so adamant to get an answer along the lines of 'it helps airflow over xyz'.

As far as i know its just there to bolt on more downforce, literally (i could be wrong though)
That's typical of Ted, he more often than not tries to lead the interview. There is a chance that Newey is wrong though.

Is it really possible to add an aerodynamic appendage and have it not affect something else further down the stream? Whatever effect it gives is probably miniscule though and at this stage McLaren are probably just trying it out in FP1 and maybe still playing testing catch up because they missed out quite a bit during the off season.

JonoNic

3jawchuck wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:
JonoNic wrote:

That's typical of Ted, he more often than not tries to lead the interview. There is a chance that Newey is wrong though.

Is it really possible to add an aerodynamic appendage and have it not affect something else further down the stream? Whatever effect it gives is probably miniscule though and at this stage McLaren are probably just trying it out in FP1 and maybe still playing testing catch up because they missed out quite a bit during the off season.
All I'm asking is if that the T-wing can help a quicker airflow attachment after DRS. It will then help the driver brake later and more stable too.

Always find the gap then use it.

Jef Patat

Alonso Fan wrote:
JonoNic wrote:

That is just wrong, if it were that simple then why don't they 'bolt on' an array of 10 Twings?
And they certainly interact further downstream, just look at the shape of the lower Twing on the FW40.