McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FW17

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

SR71 wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 04:57
FW17 wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 04:36
Maybe they are not cf anymore as they are 3d printed

They are not the structural parts of the wing by deflectors so the 3d printed part has the adequate strength. Also lets them trial many different configurations on the basic wing.

Something like a modular design

So they 3D print the part at the track, then send it back to the factory to have the part finished and sanded and glued and painted when the wing is assembled?

Not very modular.
No

Designed at factory on Thursday, manufactured overnight at the track with the 3d printer. Painted with a spraycan and glued to the cf parts that are the basic structure both structurally and aero wise

Jef Patat

Thunders wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 09:39
Looking at that Picture of the new RW Endplates got me thinking if that's McLarens version of a bendy RW. The only thing connecting the upper with the lower Part of the Endplates is a pretty narrow piece of CF whereas others have the whole lenght of the Endplates to take the Load. And that Piece is conviniently on the foremost position of the Endplate which would allow the RW to get shallower the faster the Car goes. :twisted:
How would the center pillar fit in this story? Bend as well? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Thunder

Yes, a little flexibility shouldn't be to hard to achieve. Basically i'm thinking that the Top part of the RW folds backwards and the small connection between lower and upper Part of the RW Endplate acts as a hinge, thus reducing drag.

Edit: Incoming Paint skills of Doom.

Edit 2: Looking at it again, the RW Pylon could sit straigt in line with the "hinge" part of the Endplates, making it even easier to work. :twisted:

(god i hope this doesn't make me look too stupid :mrgreen: )
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

wesley123

I doubt it, as the end plates aren't a structural part of the wing, that's all the central pillar
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

f1rules

dont know if sun+shadows+angle is playing tricks, but looks like rw main plane has been reduced in height to avoid drag, they have done that before
EDIT
seems only on vandoornes car

Jef Patat

wesley123 wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 11:22
I doubt it, as the end plates aren't a structural part of the wing, that's all the central pillar
He might have a point though. If they aren't structural part we could theoretically think of it as taking them away (all forces are on the pillar). That would allow the wing to bend. So making that part less rigid would allow for some bending at least near the edge.Without the pillar bending I don't think it would be much however.

GoranF1

f1rules wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 11:24
dont know if sun+shadows+angle is playing tricks, but looks like rw main plane has been reduced in height to avoid drag, they have done that before
EDIT
seems only on vandoornes car
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-fS6oLXkAI5YIx.jpg:large
It could be....car looks difficult to drive balance wise, for the first time this year.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

PhillipM

wesley123 wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 11:22
It may be on this, but it isn't on most cars, and hasn't been for a long time.

f1rules

E46erak

FW17 wrote:

They are not the structural parts of the wing by deflectors so the 3d printed part has the adequate strength. Also lets them trial many different configurations on the basic wing.

Carbon fiber can indeed be printed: Google "Markforged" 3d printers.

joshuagore

E46erak wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 16:57
FW17 wrote:

Carbon fiber can indeed be printed: Google "Markforged" 3d printers.
I think markforged is used far less than windform or something similar which has much better fiber placement on thin walls, also the parts come out pretty and aero friendly with minimal prep. Very stiff thin wall stock.

Josh

Frafer

Jef Patat wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 19:59
Don't know why it is different but it has been for a while.
Frafer wrote:this year that part of the wing isn't in cf anymore, trying to avoid punctures
Do you got a reference for that statement? I got a reference when it wasn't painted, so that one was illegal?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7h0FIJXQAAbsG1.jpg

And this one illegal as well? :roll:

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/F ... 061195.jpg
the news came from carlo vanzini, commentator for sky italy, feel free to ask him some more insights
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

Thunder

So the second Inlet is indeed for driver cooling: https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/8 ... 2782903296
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Morteza

Via @ScarbsTech

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare