McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Alonso Fan

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

mclaren111 wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 15:19
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 114528.jpg

Hope they have a "flatter" RW than this !! ?? !! Couple of years ago they used flat ones like RB used in SPA #-o #-o
If it was as simple as that I'd be winning MVRC right now. A flat rear wing evidently does not suit their car or they would be running one. And don't forget, monza is about low drag, not low downforce. The only reason teams run low downforce is because it results in low drag. If mclaren have found a way to super efficiently produce downforce on that rear wing then so be it. Or they could have a clever way to stall it on the straights
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

JorgeH

Remember some years ago when they run different setups between Lewis and Jenson?

If I recall correctly, Lewis concluded that Jenson's bigger wings setup was slighlty better. I think it was better on braking stability and, of course, corners. :)

bauc

JorgeH wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 16:09
Remember some years ago when they run different setups between Lewis and Jenson?

If I recall correctly, Lewis concluded that Jenson's bigger wings setup was slighlty better. I think it was better on braking stability and, of course, corners. :)
Yes that is true, Jason had the more downforce-ish set up with the sharkfin and Lewis went ultra low DF with less wing front & back and without sharkfin, however Lewis suffered under braking and in corners so overall JB's setup was better
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Morteza

Incredible detail. The silver interlocking device counts as an opening /slot to make the floor fin legal...!

Via @ScarbsTech
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

DiogoBrand

Morteza wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 18:11
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIkPWVeXUAER-x8.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIkPYQ_XoAEqhEH.jpg

Incredible detail. The silver interlocking device counts as an opening /slot to make the floor fin legal...!

Via @ScarbsTech
A bit OT here. But why do the cars need to have a slot when there is an opening on the floor?

JonoNic

DiogoBrand wrote:
A bit OT here. But why do the cars need to have a slot when there is an opening on the floor?
Maybe it's a more controlled version of Ferrari's flappy floor? I'm not sure if there was any benefit in that though
Always find the gap then use it.

PhillipM

They need the slit to present one continuous perimeter with no islands for the floor - essentially that hole/slot doesn't technically count as a hole or slot then.

DiogoBrand

PhillipM wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 18:56
They need the slit to present one continuous perimeter with no islands for the floor - essentially that hole/slot doesn't technically count as a hole or slot then.
So basically holes and slots aren't allowed, but a floor perimeter that turns to the inside and behaves exactly like a slot without it technically being a slot is allowed? Nice interpretation.

PlatinumZealot

Yes.. Mercedes in 2010? was one of the first to use the slits trick to have legal holes in the floor and bodywork.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mclaren111

Cronos Studios:

https://youtu.be/Zvq3OUKmRso

Some really nice details on this video.

mclaren111

Motorsport.com:
Note the extremely short chord upper flap, which helps to balance the car given the downforce generated by the low-downforce rear wing.

mclaren111

f1316

bauc wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 16:35
JorgeH wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 16:09

Yes that is true, Jason had the more downforce-ish set up with the sharkfin and Lewis went ultra low DF with less wing front & back and without sharkfin, however Lewis suffered under braking and in corners so overall JB's setup was better
But remember that Jenson could have the big wing because he was running an f-duct, meaning when activated he shed much of the drag.

You wouldn't run a wing that big unless you could do this.

ScrewCaptain27

Via AMuS:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

diffuser