IDEA : Asymmetric Turbocharging

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
flynfrog

Re: IDEA : Asymmetric Turbocharging

dans79 wrote:
bill shoe wrote: Current F1 power units have the MGU-H which can spool up the turbo, so this is an effective way to address the turbo lag. I don't understand exactly where the power gain came from, meaning I couldn't sketch a PV diagram that showed the advantage.
I'd assume it was because half the cylinders had minimal back pressure, so less energy was spent on getting the exhaust out of those cylinders.

This was my thought as well. One bank would have enough energy to keep the turbo near the pop off valve pressure just get there slower. I'm curious what the valve timing was bank to bank.

bill shoe

Those later CART engines were known for having very little boost by rule. I think they only ran 1/3 or 1/2 of an atmosphere of boost pressure.

My armchair guess would be that two cylinder banks each supplying half the turbine energy would create less total backpressure than one bank free and one bank suppying all the turbine energy. I'm obviously wrong, but I don't understand where my armchair is leading me astray...

jagunx51

" The meeting resulted in broad agreement for the future evolution of Formula One power units, with all parties seemingly aligned in their focus on:

- a desire to maintain F1 as the pinnacle of motor sport technology, and as a laboratory for developing technology that is relevant to road cars
- striving for future power units to be powerful, while becoming simpler and less costly to develop and produce
- improving the sound of the power units
- a desire to allow drivers to drive harder at all times. "

http://www.fia.com/news/fia-holds-meeti ... ower-units

" Christian Horner and Toto Wolff have once more rallied F1 to give greater focus to reviving the 'iconic' sound of an F1 engine and not simply settle for updating the cars aesthetically "

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/243163/1/a ... orner.html
............!!!!

jagunx51

............!!!!

jagunx51

God hears my plea :D

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/form ... an-973420/

" The proposal for 2021 includes keeping the current 1.6-litre V6 turbo hybrid engine, but running it at 3000rpm higher "to improve the sound". "

=D> =D>
Shooty81 wrote:
14 Mar 2017, 14:18
To use whatever to create noise.

Seems people still belief noise is the only thing that is important in motorracing.

Then why not put a proper sound system into the car or in front of the spectators? We have DRS, we have mandatory pitstops. Why not add some artifical sound?

I always thought noise is an unavoidable but unwanted side effect of going fast.

I was at the racetrack. And I like the sound of the V6 engines in real life. Much more than the old V8s or V10s. Those were so loud, it was hurting.
Plus the new cars sound like cars. And not like a too loud sewing machine.

Maybe the problem of F1 is that fans are getting old. They live in the past.
............!!!!