F1 innovations and inventions

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Imp

F1 innovations and inventions

What has F1 done for road car technology, specifically which cars, and does F1 still need to be relevant to the road car industry?

mclaren111

Re: F1 innovations and inventions

I say NO !!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Locock

Imp wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 10:17
What has F1 done for road car technology, specifically which cars, and does F1 still need to be relevant to the road car industry?
(a) Surprisingly little,directly, and (b) no. I'd say they've pushed aero analysis forward but aero is fairly unimportant for road cars.

Huntresa

Greg Locock wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 22:36
Imp wrote:
(a) Surprisingly little,directly, and (b) no. I'd say they've pushed aero analysis forward but aero is fairly unimportant for road cars.

When it comes to the development of carbon fibre and other composite materials F1 has done a great deal for road cars and other industries.

When it comes to gearboxes/transmission the development of clutchless has also been done in F1 but ofc other racing series too.

Greg Locock

The main use of carbon fibre in typical production cars is as a replacement for dead trees as an adornment. The most advanced carbon fibre wheels in the world were developed for, and are available for, production cars, not F1.

I'd be interested to see examples where technology has bled across from F1, but I'd be surprised if gearboxes were a good example.

roon

Cheesy example, but paddle shifters usually got credited as "F1-style" in road car marketing & journo buzz. I don't know if F1 actually developed them though, or if they were even the first to use them.

Greg Locock

Push button semi-automatic gearboxes? 1930s , unless you think that the flappy paddle itself is some great F1 innovation. Do I hear the sound of straws being grasped?

SR71

Greg Locock wrote:
Imp wrote:
Aero is unimportant for road cars? Wow.

You know a Prius probably has more aero development than an F1 car right?

godlameroso

Indirectly you could say that the engine and chassis manufacturing developments in racing has improved the engineering that goes into production cars. But then again that could also be due to having better computers that lead to more precise manufacturing with tighter tolerances.
Saishū kōnā

torpor

I heard from several friends working at Mercedes-Benz in Stuttgart that there is a big technology transfer when it comes to engine, hybrid system and lubricants. Especially in the efficiency point of view. But also chassis and gearbox design, electronics and quality management.
Especially in the last three years they learned a lot during the development of the power unit.
This is an important part of their investment in Formula 1.

Greg Locock

SR71 wrote:
06 Apr 2017, 04:00
Greg Locock wrote:
Imp wrote:

I didn't say that. I said fairly unimportant, so I struggle to assume good faith in your question. The difference that a good Cd makes in quoted mpg compared with a rubbish Cd is tiny. Go on, work it out (if you can).

torpor

I think you can't compare aerodynamics in racing cars with aerodynamics in road cars because of different goals.

In Formula 1 principal focus lies on downforce.
In production vehicles the principal focus lies on low air resistance.

The aerodynamics of the Prius isn't that good (and not worth the ugly shape)!!

Drag coefficient:

Toyota Prius: 0,24
Mercedes-Benz CLA: 0,22

-

Dodge Ram: 0,36
McLaren P1: 0,34

Tim.Wright

SR71 wrote:
06 Apr 2017, 04:00

I doubt that very much. In road cars styling has an order of magnitude precedence over drag.

Next on the list - and probably the primary development area of aerodynamics in road cars is reduction/management of wind noise.
Not the engineer at Force India

Jersey Tom

Imp wrote:
What has F1 done for road car technology
Hardly anything.

Imp wrote:
Does F1 still need to be relevant to the road car industry?
Never has been, never will be. It exists for entertainment, pure and simple.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tim.Wright

Jersey Tom wrote:
06 Apr 2017, 13:20
Imp wrote:
Does F1 still need to be relevant to the road car industry?
Never has been, never will be. It exists for entertainment, pure and simple.
I'd slightly disagree in that, commercially, the road relevance is extremely important to the OEMs involved. Given that motorsport is almost completely run on the advertising budgets of OEMs - if you take away the road relevence, a large portion of the sports bugets will walk away.

What a lot of people don't get, however, is that the road relevence is F1 copying whats on the road. Not the otherway around.
Not the engineer at Force India