Renault R28

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
modbaraban

Re: Renault R28

Arrrgh!!! I hoped to see a new paint scheme :roll:

Principessa

Well I'm getting used to the new livery, but I must say that I still miss the mild seven blue.

I think it was an interesting launch eventhough we had already seen the car on track last week at Valencia. Especially the newsarticle on the technical development of the R28 (http://www.f1technical.net/news/8145) is in my eyes interesting.

manchild

This livery makes it 0.5 sec slower for sure :roll:

Instead of wasting money on launch of already seen car and livery they should have invested that money to pay some good designer to redesign it. I don't get their logic. All fans hate it, many think it is the ugliest on the grid (me too) and they do nothing about it!

Oh well, no wonder no one buys their t shirts and caps as before.

Belatti

Well, the turquoise-blue/yellow was not precisely beautiful, but people liked it. Anyway, as it was a winner anyone could forgive livery.

The problem now is they have to maintain white/orange cause of ING.
And they want the Renault typical yellow. All whats left then is dark blue but not much you can do there.

What front/rear wings colours would you paint it?
Not White (very very average) [-(
Not Green (Nelsinho would have to drive it in Rio Carnival) :mrgreen:
Not Black (very similar to dark blue) [-X
Not Red (just doesn´t match) #-o

If you have got time, MC, post a fake a Violet winged Renault, its probably the only colour that would match yellow/orange/white.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

FLC
FLC

Say what you want about the livery, Renault always gives us the best pictures. I like this one in particular:

m3_lover

Last edited by m3_lover on 01 Feb 2008, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

malafunkshun

manchild wrote:Old school? It is the first modern car with raised nose with no struts to carry front wing but one blade incorporated as wing carrier. Definitely best suspension geometry of all keel less cars so far (wishbones horizontal) + very low front end of chassis and nose meaning lower overall COG .

I agree that it looks as the mid section of rear blade is choked by nose BUT we have no idea how nose looks from below. What if only vertical sides and top are as it seams while in fact nose and chassis bottom are shaped as a diffuser? Ok, that would make it two-keel car than. I bet nose isn't flat at its bottom.

Im not quite sure if the bottom nose is flat if you check out the video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1BRUGU_1ew certainly going to be a choke point...

vyselegend

modbaraban wrote:Arrrgh!!! I hoped to see a new paint scheme :roll:
Me too! And it was not only hope, but Renault's webmaster has suggested it should change! They even repainted some trucks / motorhome with new graphical theme. I'm deeply disapointed they kept it like that. Even their fans hate it!
manchild wrote:Here is what I had in mind.

Longitudinal cross section of nose

Apparently this isn't the case:

It really seems air will get stuck where the wing joins the underside of the nose. :?
That said it's still not a low enough pic to be sure.

Ciwai

The way the front wing forms a kind of tunneled scoop reminds me of the jordan, maybe EJ 11. It was in the first year after the raised front wing rule.
http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/1 ... Photo.aspx

Mirrors were clearly influenced by 1970 ford torino cobra.
http://www.dragtimes.com/1970-Ford-Tori ... -4807.html

scarbs

As my aching neck and the strange looks I got will confirm, I have looked under the nose of the car at the launch. So I can confirm the nose is arched underneath. Although the flap all but touches the nose cone, the shape of the nose after this point rises up in a similar angle to the wing, this shape leads all the way back to the rear leg of the wishbones. The sides of the nose are lower than the middle section which again leads all the way back to the rear leg of the wishbone. Looking under the nose it seems that the car is a near twin keel set up, such is the scalloped channel between the pickups.

I have some pictures but you will have to wait until I post them up somewhere.

Scarbs

Spencifer_Murphy

I knew it! Thanks scarbs. (I'd like to claim it was a most intelligent guess on my part - but really it was pure blind luck. :lol: )

Scarbs, you said the "tunnel" (if we can call it that) stretches back to the wishbones. But at that point how does it stop - or rather, how does it join the rest of the nose (or the "twin-keels") if you like? Is it a smooth gradient that eventually joins the rest of the nose?

Kinda like on Machild's sketech, where he draws the tunnel sloping up away from the apparent sides of the nose, does it do the same thing at the aft section of this tunnel.

Hope I've been clear enough lol. Sorry if not.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

scarbs

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:I knew it! Thanks scarbs. (I'd like to claim it was a most intelligent guess on my part - but really it was pure blind luck. :lol: )

Scarbs, you said the "tunnel" (if we can call it that) stretches back to the wishbones. But at that point how does it stop - or rather, how does it join the rest of the nose (or the "twin-keels") if you like? Is it a smooth gradient that eventually joins the rest of the nose?

Kinda like on Machild's sketech, where he draws the tunnel sloping up away from the apparent sides of the nose, does it do the same thing at the aft section of this tunnel.

Hope I've been clear enough lol. Sorry if not.
I would say that the tunnel is formed in two sections; the nosecone and the tub. The nose cone starts the tunnel, then the keel\wishbone mounts forms the sides of the tunnel under the tub, the roof of the tunnel is the usual underside of the monocoque. Once the sides\keels end (as i said at the rear leg of the wishbone) the tunnel is flat and the sides of the tub radius out to send the flow around the sidepods.

manchild

\:D/
manchild, Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:07 pm wrote:I agree that it looks as the mid section of rear blade is choked by nose BUT we have no idea how nose looks from below. What if only vertical sides and top are as it seams while in fact nose and chassis bottom are shaped as a diffuser? Ok, that would make it two-keel car than. I bet nose isn't flat at its bottom.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5084&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=26

\:D/

Spencifer_Murphy

LOL! Hehehe Manchild.

Scarbs: Thanks very much for the explaination mate, that's more or less exactly what I was thinking of when I first noticed how close the wing & nose appear to get.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

benjabulle

I uploaded some of the official photos in high resolution, nothing new but bigger is better :P , that's here :
http://www.gurneyflap.com/formula1renault.html