Honda RA108

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
megz

Re: Honda RA108

Button has gone and made himself some pretty crappy career desisions huh?

manchild
manchild

I'm not talking about Button but I'll say that for drivers who chase easy money rather than success it is a dream come true - driving a car that can't expose your weaknesses or lack of enthusiasm. Simply ideal. Fisichella should have taken such path. Money pours in, no need to worry about pension or from what will your grandchildren live and yet it requires no special effort at all. Is Button already a millionaire? Yes. So...? No need to feel sorry for him. He's and F1 driver, that remains a dream for thousand of drivers, he achieved it. No title. So what? Retire at mid 30-s and live in luxury.

Ian P.
Ian P.

Re: Button...Gate....Gone

Not to worry....Jenson will be looking for another team by the end of the season.
Unfortunately his choices are somewhat limited. Toyota, BMW and Red Bull (most likely option).
If Honda measures success by their position relative to Toyota, they should be close. Too bad Toyota isn't going to be much better than last year.

Question for the Aero guys out there....rear wings.
It seems pretty straight forward to expect that the airflow approaching the rear wing is totally different along the center line of the car than out at the end plates. If this is the case, then why is it only a few teams have taken to sculpting the wings differently in the center than the outer portions.?

Ross B. must be tearing his hair out about now.

Ian P.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

ginsu
ginsu

I think a lot of you guys are under the impression that Ross Brawn has some say in the engineering and development of the car. Maybe he can give some helpful pointers but I don't think he is going to actually help make the car faster. From what I know about Ross Brawn he will pay off the most on race days when pit stop strategy comes to the forefront. I don't see how Ross Brawn can influence testing times directly unless he tells them to run low fuel.

Personally, I expect Ross to shine during the actual races, where they will have somebody who actually knows what to do on race day. But, how fast the car is and the way the car handles is pretty much left to the engineers.
I love to love Senna.

Roland Ehnström

I was just going to say the same thing. Ross Brawn does not design cars!

NumberTwo

I disagree with you, for once, Manchild. Button chose to stay with what was then BAR-Honda at the end of a season that went well. Remember, that was when David Richards was still running the show. He chose to break his contractual agreement with Williams at great personal financial (and moral?) cost because he felt he had a better chance at success wth the Richards managed team. Not the actions of a driver looking to hide.

In hindsight, Richards and Honda were not long for each other and Button's career has been as dismal as the cars Honda has fielded without a good leader. Button has even publically berated Honda management for the culturally-demanded sacking of personnel last year when the cars didn't perform, and thereby gutting their own engineering ranks and compounding their problems. He also demanded a better car or he was gone...just before they hired Brawn.

Sounds to me like he has some desire left in him.

But when the cars are good, he puts them up front and on the podium. At the end of the '06 season, people here were saying that Button had scored more points in the second half of the year than anyone else and looked to '07 to be a career high point. However, the RA107 sucked and now he is said to be washed up. What about Barrichello? He went from being up front in a Ferrari to mid- or back-field in the Honda. It's not as if he forgot how to drive over the course of a winter. Look at Michael Schumacher in '05. Great driver, hideous car, and to the back they went.

Button has it in him still.

waynes
waynes

the post above this one hits the nail on the head, i'd love to see JB upfront fighting with the best thing since sliced bread, it is down to Honda providing a fast car, Jenson will do the rest, as seen in 2005 and latter half of 2006

the boy is fast

Sawtooth-spike

Also Last year, The car was crap, but he will still able to sometimes out drive the car he was in.

i have never questioned his speed, only thing i think he lacks is the killer instinct you need to overtake.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Roland Ehnström

Oh yes, Jenson is good, very good. He's just made some bad career decitions and ended up in the wrong car at the wrong time. Button reminds me a bit of Chris Amon - the young super talent in the late 60's and early 70's, who drove for top factory teams such as Ferrari and Matra, but ALWAYS at the wrong time - every time he led a race the damned car would break down on him. Amon was probably the best driver ever not to win a single Grand Prix - the only difference between him and Jenson Button is that Button finally won that race at Hungaroring 2006. Jean Alesi also springs to mind...

What I cannot understand is what Rubens is still doing in F1. :?: :?: :?:

bizadfar
bizadfar

Roland Ehnström wrote:I was just going to say the same thing. Ross Brawn does not design cars!

That's funny since Ross Brawn's role at Ferrari was Technical Director, mainly in development role and has engineering roots, not just quick maths =D>

PNSD
PNSD

Sawtooth-spike wrote:Also Last year, The car was crap, but he will still able to sometimes out drive the car he was in.

i have never questioned his speed, only thing i think he lacks is the killer instinct you need to overtake.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4993&hilit=overtaking

the guy can overtake as good as the best.
what he cant do is defend that good.

Sawtooth-spike

I dont like Stats,

They can mean what you want them to 90% of the time :D

Montoya, Kimi, Schmi, senna and Hamlton can all overtake, they are racers. They make moves which should not be possible. Button can over a slower car, but when he is up against anybody any cop he does not make it work. However saying that, he does have moments.

But he is Very Fast, and does make tyre last longer than anybody else.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

axle
axle

Ross's job is to take the different departments at Honda and make them all sing from the same hymn sheet (work together for the same goals). They've lacked that since Richards and Willis left. RB's influence will first be felt in the factory, he'll get people to work his way, then he'll turn his attention to race day...

I don't think the RA108 should be written off just yet. This was a shakedown of the engineering beneath the skin more than anything. The new bodywork is being readied for next week(?) and this will be a better judge of how they've done, but they have a very big mountain to climb.

Look at Williams, they've taken a few years to turn around and seem to be close to a break through in terms of raw pace...

Having said all that I wouldn't be amazed if there was an RA108B at some point...especially if there is a packaging issue leading to over-heating which was mentioned last week.

F1-Live.com...
"Lap times were slow but also because on the first day it made no sense to push too hard," he added. "In any case we are awaiting the new aerodynamics," Barrichello said. He also explained that the Brackley based team experienced normal shakedown gremlins with the new car, but confirmed that the RA108 already feels better than its predecessor under braking.
- Axle

waynes
waynes

Sawtooth-spike wrote: But he is Very Fast, and does make tyre last longer than anybody else.
which with the new TC regs, should play nicely into his hands

Sawtooth-spike

If the RA108 is not crap