Honda RA108

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
waynes

Re: Honda RA108

very good point :mrgreen:

PNSD

tbh i think people are over-rating this no tc thing for Jense.
Im a JB fan, and when I heard about the no TC i was delighted, but by Australia everyone will be on almost the same level.

relative, he is not going to 'gain' time which imo people are under the illusion of.

Spencifer_Murphy

bizadfar wrote:
Roland Ehnström wrote:I was just going to say the same thing. Ross Brawn does not design cars!

That's funny since Ross Brawn's role at Ferrari was Technical Director, mainly in development role and has engineering roots, not just quick maths =D>
Ross may not design the cars himself, but he has knowledge from a design point of view that he can carry over.

The Honda RA107 wasn't just slow, it was a dog of a car that defyed common logic. When you add front wing to a car it will grip at the front - or at least it's supposed to - do that on the RA107 and it understeered more! There's a fundamental design flaw there, somewhere, and you can bet sooner or later Ross will see it, and suggest a way of doing it better.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

vyselegend

scarbs wrote: I’m beginning to think there is more to the cooling gills (louvers)than simply cooling. Ferrari use them and we could agree they are a pretty switched on team in terms of aero. Looking at the F2008 at the factory I was surprised to see that each louver had its own blanking plate fixed underneath, held on with two QD fasteners. Now if the team wanted to reduce cooling and improve drag, surely they would have a swappable panel or blanked the louver from above?

We know that the sloping deck of the sidepods creates lift at the rear of the car, so if the louvers are acting to break up the airflow over the pod, they might reduce this lift?
Very interesting. But are'nt the T wings doing the same (disrupting the flow from the slopping part of the sidepods), and to a more significant level, while producing downforce on top of it?

Have you submitted your idea to an insider from any team yet?

taku

vyselegend wrote:
scarbs wrote: I’m beginning to think there is more to the cooling gills (louvers)than simply cooling. Ferrari use them and we could agree they are a pretty switched on team in terms of aero. Looking at the F2008 at the factory I was surprised to see that each louver had its own blanking plate fixed underneath, held on with two QD fasteners. Now if the team wanted to reduce cooling and improve drag, surely they would have a swappable panel or blanked the louver from above?

We know that the sloping deck of the sidepods creates lift at the rear of the car, so if the louvers are acting to break up the airflow over the pod, they might reduce this lift?
Very interesting. But are'nt the T wings doing the same (disrupting the flow from the slopping part of the sidepods), and to a more significant level, while producing downforce on top of it?

Have you submitted your idea to an insider from any team yet?

i imagine the louvres in this arrangement break up the flow which effectively reduces the camber of the sidepod (so less lift). i guess that this disturbed flow doesn't help the rear wing out much though so it would be a compromise. lose lift on the sidepod but lose downforce on the rear wing at the same time?

Roland Ehnström

Honda's 2008 livery:

waynes

thanks roland, got any larger images?

ta very much :)

ss_collins

ss_collins

will upload some more there shortly if this connection doesn't crap out

Roland Ehnström

waynes wrote:thanks roland, got any larger images?
No sorry, I got this one off a Swedish forum.

But I'm disappointed, the livery looks very bad to me. Again. :(

bizadfar

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:The Honda RA107 wasn't just slow, it was a dog of a car that defyed common logic. When you add front wing to a car it will grip at the front - or at least it's supposed to - do that on the RA107 and it understeered more! There's a fundamental design flaw there, somewhere, and you can bet sooner or later Ross will see it, and suggest a way of doing it better.
interesting, sounds so amateurish, got a quote on that? Was it consistent at all circuits/tyre compounds etc?

vyselegend

Oh Crap!

This livery isn't only ugly as hell, it uses same principles colors than BMW. I'm sure on TV it will be confusing like spyker / Mac Laren or Midland / Ferrari...

Renault must be happy. They won't have the ugliest livery this year... :roll:

bizadfar

yea i thought it was a photoshop at first, very similar to BMW

Militia Est Vita

Horrendus
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy --- we don't need. - Tyler Durden - Fight Club.

bar555

I do not think it is worse than 2007 livery . At least now the team has enough "blank" livery space to host sponsorship .

The names of team's fans , who danated money , can also be written .

Quite Clever i think :!: There are two possible sources of money : -sponsorship- and -donations-
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1