Williams FW31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PNSD

Re: Williams FW31

Seems like a small compramise to get the air around the wheel rather than a larger wing.

pjobmathew

=P~ They should be using this as batmobile in the next batman .
lol!

Roland Ehnström

PNSD wrote:Seems like a small compramise to get the air around the wheel rather than a larger wing.
It's quite interesting that other teams (especially Renault) rather try to get the air to go inside and over the front wheels. Compare:

xpensive

At this stage I wouldn't take much to the bank though, the Renault nose is obviously some sort of decoy, while the front end on BMWs official pic's looks stangely animated.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Conceptual

xpensive wrote:At this stage I wouldn't take much to the bank though, the Renault nose is obviously some sort of decoy, while the front end on BMWs official pic's looks stangely animated.
I don't think it is obviously anything. Unless you have insider knowledge, or an authoratative source that declares it a decoy, what you are stating as fact is really just your speculation.

I think Pat Symonds developed that center section of the nose, and he knew while designing it how to maximize its effectiveness.

If this nose races in Oz, or at least one based on the same principle, are you going to denounce this statement?

Remember, BMW has something very similar, it just isnt incorporated into the front of the nose (yet).

DaveKillens

I cannot see this radical nose concept as anything but a genuine effort by Renault to make it work.
There's a time to play deceptive games, and there's a time for serious work. Testing time is limited, and throwing away a huge chunk of very valuable development time for childish games just does not appear logical.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

ISLAMATRON

DaveKillens wrote:I cannot see this radical nose concept as anything but a genuine effort by Renault to make it work.
There's a time to play deceptive games, and there's a time for serious work. Testing time is limited, and throwing away a huge chunk of very valuable development time for childish games just does not appear logical.
Right on point... and to add, Renault have no time for games after those last two seasons.... especially after what happened with Honda.

xpensive

Guess I forgot the magic word in all this excitement, what I ment to say was of course that I THINK the boxy-nose is a decoy, sorry about that gentlemen.

But I believe there is something more to this anyway, certainly after a posting on another thread of a Renault with a much sleeker nose. The box-job could also be a temporary result of the failed crash-test or whatever, but on the grid in March? Näää...

ISLAMATRON

xpensive wrote:Guess I forgot the magic word in all this excitement, what I ment to say was of course that I THINK the boxy-nose is a decoy, sorry about that gentlemen.

But I believe there is something more to this anyway, certainly after a posting on another thread of a Renault with a much sleeker nose. The box-job could also be a temporary result of the failed crash-test or whatever, but on the grid in March? Näää...
Ever think that the sleek nose pic was the decoy? so other teams wouldnt look into the box nose which Renault may think is an effective innovation?

xpensive

Ooops...didn't that one coming! Nice move I, but i guess time will tell, eh?

i70q7m7ghw

Is this Williams running a new nose? Looks like the nose on the F60...

mx_tifoso

It seems to me that it is a new nose, which is higher and thinner. Also new on the FW31 is the shark fin (?).

The pic below is of the launch spec FW31.
tomazy wrote:Image
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

i70q7m7ghw

Struggling to find a frontal shot of the car in that configuration. I beleive they also only ran the shark fin that once as well...

mx_tifoso

Which configuration? Launch or todays?

There are pics of Mondays launch on the first page of this thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

smirkoff

Here's both noses compared:

Visually the thinner one is more elegant, don't know if more efficient.